Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I also had sleep crashing issues with the intel ME, but switching to the ones installed by windows update and ditching the older intel ones actually fixed it for me

The intel installer wouldn't let me go above version 9.5 of the MEI drivers, whereas windows update installed version 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I just realized something:

What the hell ever happened to OneGet?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

It got renamed (to 'PackageManagement'), but it's still included in the base install of Windows 10. It theoretically supports multiple repos, but right now the only one is Chocolatey. It also has a more limited feature set when compared to choco.exe so you're better off installing that.

Maybe it'll get better in the future, when/if there are more repos to pull from, but for now there's little reason to use it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Indigo Jones posted:

In the process of building a new computer, is this worth getting or should I stick with Windows 7/8.1? I currently have been using Windows 7 mostly.

Depends on who you ask.

I think it's a fine upgrade from 7 and 8.1.

Others (wrongly!) think its terrible.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
An option is to install whatever you have now, then do an upgrade to 10 to get your system hardware registered, then roll back. That way, you aren't limited to the one year (from the end of July I believe) of free upgrade opportunity.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Thermopyle posted:

Depends on who you ask.

About the only real change from 8.1 and 7 is the windowed Metro apps. And the crappier start menu which is still usable. The rest is more hardware support.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

dissss posted:

There was a fuss made about it, but at the end of the day touch is so niche for Windows that it hardly matters
Which is hilarious, since win 8 was literally "no one cares about desktop UI, touch touch touch is the future!"

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Sir Unimaginative posted:

It shipped but is entirely unloved. You can still use it for chocolatey packages though. For example this does what you think:

code:
find-package -Provider chocolatey 7zip
(yes for the prompts)
install-package 7zip

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

beuges posted:

On my system, after updates last week some time, the display doesn't resume after going into power save. This also includes sometimes resuming from sleep. What does work for me is putting it back into sleep (laptop, so just pushing the power button or closing the lid for me), and then waking it up again - the display wakes up again as it should, until it goes into power save again. This only started after updates last week, one of which was for my graphics card, so that's the likely culprit. It's an Intel Iris 5100 or something like that, running on a MacBook pro.

Karthe posted:

I was having this issue with my laptop after reinstalling Windows 10 a couple of days ago. It turns out I was experiencing an issue with the Intel Management Engine drivers - the ones installed via Windows Update caused all kinds of TPM-related issues that prevented the laptop from fully shutting down or sleeping. I tracked this down via the System event logs - look for event IDs 12 and 15.

I fixed the issue this morning by downloading and installing the Intel Management Engine driver from the manufacturer's website. If the installer tells you that you have a newer version of the drivers already installed, ignore it and install the drivers anyway before restarting your computer.

Skarsnik posted:

I also had sleep crashing issues with the intel ME, but switching to the ones installed by windows update and ditching the older intel ones actually fixed it for me

The intel installer wouldn't let me go above version 9.5 of the MEI drivers, whereas windows update installed version 11

I'm on a desktop and I don't think I have those drivers. It'll just lock up and freeze randomly and it's only started happening after some update a while back.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Thermopyle posted:

Depends on who you ask.

Others still think that they'd rather stick with something that doesn't have all the stupid beta bugs and annoyances that 10 currently has, even though it might be otherwise acceptable.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think a recent Windows update in 10 broke the ability to sleep or something. I've checked my drives and they're not failing...but recently, if I let the PC sleep, it'll lock up and I have to hard reset.

Anyone else having this problem?

I am on build 10547 and sleep has been working fine for me.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
I've got a slightly different sleep issue. My monitor goes to sleep after 10 min of inactivity no matter what. I've gone though the Power Plan, Power & Sleep options, Advance Power Settings and changed everything to never sleep or turn off the monitor and it's still turning off after 10 min.

I'm on 10547 but the issue was also affecting me on the last build as well.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Krailor posted:

I've got a slightly different sleep issue. My monitor goes to sleep after 10 min of inactivity no matter what. I've gone though the Power Plan, Power & Sleep options, Advance Power Settings and changed everything to never sleep or turn off the monitor and it's still turning off after 10 min.

Something else, not Windows, could be turning it off manually.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Just resolved a fun issue. Windows Update was helpfully providing an update to Realtek audio drivers, but had to launch an external installer or something. Cool, but clicking Install on the Update window made UAC chime and the Settings app become locked from interaction. No installer started and I didn't see a UAC dialog as I would expect.

Turns out, if you change UAC settings (I had it one step below default, cause the screen dimming is dumb but I want to know when apps are doing fucky things) you can't see the UAC prompt for that installer. Switching it back to default let it display the UAC dialog just fine and install.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Krailor posted:

I had this issue too before my reinstall! My laptop would always go to sleep after 10 minutes no matter how much fiddling around I did in the power settings. Unfortunately the reinstall fixed it so I'm pretty sure you're hosed unless you want to :pt:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Krailor posted:

I recently upgraded to an ASUS Z170-A motherboard and found that it was controlling the monitor power timing and ignoring the Windows option. I just adjusted that using ASUS software and everything worked fine.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think a recent Windows update in 10 broke the ability to sleep or something. I've checked my drives and they're not failing...but recently, if I let the PC sleep, it'll lock up and I have to hard reset.

Anyone else having this problem?

IS THIS WHY MY PC NO LONGER TURNS OFF

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hollenhammer posted:

IS THIS WHY MY PC NO LONGER TURNS OFF

Probably.

I haven't had anymore random freeze-ups since posting about it here...except now the screens won't turn off and things are always doing something.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

xamphear posted:

It got renamed (to 'PackageManagement'), but it's still included in the base install of Windows 10. It theoretically supports multiple repos, but right now the only one is Chocolatey. It also has a more limited feature set when compared to choco.exe so you're better off installing that.

Maybe it'll get better in the future, when/if there are more repos to pull from, but for now there's little reason to use it.

well no there are more then one; MS Gallery for example or if you're smart you can roll your own internal nuget feed ;)

And I don't find it any worse than choco; have yet to have any issues with a "limited feature set" and I use it very heavily in combo with DSC

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!
Anyone have a quick fix for this? Several buttons on my taskbar have stopped working since the latest Win 10 update:
Start Button
Cortana/Search
Network Status
Volume Control
Notifications
Regular clicking is useless, and right-clicking only works on two or three of these five.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

nzspambot posted:

well no there are more then one; MS Gallery for example or if you're smart you can roll your own internal nuget feed ;)

And I don't find it any worse than choco; have yet to have any issues with a "limited feature set" and I use it very heavily in combo with DSC
Well, as one example there's no update.

'cup all' or 'cup packageName' upgrades installed packages to the latest version. That's kinda handy, wouldn't you say?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

WillieWestwood posted:

Anyone have a quick fix for this? Several buttons on my taskbar have stopped working since the latest Win 10 update:
Start Button
Cortana/Search
Network Status
Volume Control
Notifications
Regular clicking is useless, and right-clicking only works on two or three of these five.
By "latest Win10 update", do you mean an insider build from the Fast ring? That sounds like a bug in build 10547:

MS bug notes posted:

Clicking on the system icons in the notification area quickly can result in Windows Shell blocking the launch of fly-outs like Audio, Networking, etc. This can be resolved by rebooting your PC.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I keep kind of wanting to upgrade to 10 on this new machine once 7 finished updating, but then I remember to come here and re-read these last few pages.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Its just that those of us with no problems don't come post to post about it much :shrug:

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

xamphear posted:

Well, as one example there's no update.

'cup all' or 'cup packageName' upgrades installed packages to the latest version. That's kinda handy, wouldn't you say?

Depends on your scope tbh; server wise no client wise yes

Feel free to help out ;) https://github.com/OneGet/oneget/issues/6

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

By "latest Win10 update", do you mean an insider build from the Fast ring? That sounds like a bug in build 10547:

Sounds right, and reboot... worked once, but the problem occurred again and subsequent reboots fixed nothing. See...

Also, unless MS hasn't really officially released Windows 10, I'm running Win 10 Pro, which doesn't show a build number.

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 30, 2015

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

Its just that those of us with no problems don't come post to post about it much :shrug:

Well I'm still fence dangling. Havent even downloaded an AV or installed anything besides chrome and drivers. on one hand i like new things. on the other hand windows 7 is my favourite OS and works really well. just looking at videos in 010, I see a lot of poo poo in the start menu and stuff that would annoy me. how modifiable is that sort of stuff?

edit: Oh, it looks like you totally can. gently caress it, I want to jump in. If I totally hate it, I can always format and go back.

edit2: Oh, you have to wait until you get your secret invite first. Maybe I can change my mind by then who knows

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 30, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just download the media creation tool and run it, you don't need to wait

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh cool. Why dont they just tell you that then lol

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 30, 2015

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007

WillieWestwood posted:

Also, unless MS hasn't really officially released Windows 10, I'm running Win 10 Pro, which doesn't show a build number.

Try pressing Win + R to open up the Run prompt, and run winver.exe .

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Mikser posted:

Try pressing Win + R to open up the Run prompt, and run winver.exe .

Version 10.0, Build 10240

last cumulative update was September 9, some small updates up to yesterday.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Skarsnik posted:

I haven't had major problems, other than no up to date touchpad driver being available so I lose some functionality there, but the thing that's keeping me on 7 for my main PC is I don't like the direction they're taking with updates. There's no real control over them in Home editions, which drives me crazy, and they're also refusing to give patch notes telling you what the updates actually do, which is confusing. Doesn't look like they have any plans to change their mind on either front, so it's something everyone's going to have to live with I guess. I need more time to ease into that weird new world though.

Also I don't like the W10 Start menu in its current state. 7's start menu is pretty much perfect.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

During the first month where there were so many updates requiring restarts coming through, it was annoying to be fair

Now its settled down I think i'm down to around 1 restart a week looking at the install history. It also seems to have figured out well when I'm not using the computer, so I've not noticed the restarts at all

I can understand the dislike for it, but then if it means less unpatched PCs owned by idiots out there then I'm willing to deal with it

The vague patch notes (in relation to security anyway) is getting fairly industry wide these days unfortunately, is it any different on 7/8 now?

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 1, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Since installing Windows 10, my computer keeps waking itself up during the middle of the night, usually at 2AM or 3AM. It doesn't happen every day but 2-3 times per week. My computer is in my bedroom and so this is quite annoying if I'm only half asleep at the time as everything lights up like a Christmas tree.

I've told the scheduled Windows Update not to wake the computer up but that doesn't seem to have fixed it. How do I work out what is causing this?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Skarsnik posted:

During the first month where there were so many updates requiring restarts coming through, it was annoying to be fair

Now its settled down I think i'm down to around 1 restart a week looking at the install history. It also seems to have figured out well when I'm not using the computer, so I've not noticed the restarts at all

I can understand the dislike for it, but then if it means less unpatched PCs owned by idiots out there then I'm willing to deal with it

The vague patch notes (in relation to security anyway) is getting fairly industry wide these days unfortunately, is it any different on 7/8 now?
I definitely see why they're doing it, and it's generally a good thing to force security updates on people who otherwise would let their PCs go unpatched for months or years, but there should be an advanced option for us control freak types to dig into and change. Bury it somewhere people won't just turn it off by accident.

It's not just the security patch notes that aren't getting documented, but the general tweaks and patches on W10 don't have any information, all by design. And it was found recently through some leaked release notes that showed they're still writing them, just not choosing to publish them: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/09/leaks-show-that-microsoft-writes-release-notes-so-why-cant-it-publish-them/

Compare that to one of the latest W7 patches: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2515325 which still tells you exactly what it does.
super late edit: Actually that's not one of the latest patches, I just formatted and reinstalled W7 a few weeks ago, and all the updates were installed on the same day. I'll check the next time a patch drops, but I'm pretty sure they're still documenting them for W7.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 2, 2015

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Bruxism posted:

Also, I'm setting up my old computer for my dad and he wants Windows 10 on it. I already used my free upgrade for the system I just built so I'm going to have to actually buy a copy of windows 10. My question is, if I buy the "download windows 10" version here will it just send me a product code that I can use to install on my old system using my previously made bootable USB drive? Does it lock the product onto the system it was purchased on or something insane like that? Thanks for any insight!

Dont buy it. Get an outlook.com email address then sign up for the Insider Preview and get a free, legal to use copy of the OS from Microsoft as a courtesy for being first to test updates and having less ability to lie to yourself that they aren't sending a ton of telemetry back through Cortana that they are also sending back via recent win7 and win8.1 updates.

Its an adequate, serviceable program launcher, file manager and device driver control centre. That doesn't make it worth paying for when the option to not to exists.

In the future, should MS ever kill this incarnation of the Win 10 insider preview or if you fall in love with the OS and want to contribute to Gabe Aul's next bonus, then go right ahead and pay at that point.

"Try before you buy" software from Microsoft is finally here! Don't pass it up, as it may only survive as long as the Nadella reign continues.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Edit: Fixed my problem by reinstalling windows and upgrading correctly.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 3, 2015

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Dont buy it. Get an outlook.com email address then sign up for the Insider Preview and get a free, legal to use copy of the OS from Microsoft as a courtesy for being first to test updates and having less ability to lie to yourself that they aren't sending a ton of telemetry back through Cortana that they are also sending back via recent win7 and win8.1 updates.

Its an adequate, serviceable program launcher, file manager and device driver control centre. That doesn't make it worth paying for when the option to not to exists.

In the future, should MS ever kill this incarnation of the Win 10 insider preview or if you fall in love with the OS and want to contribute to Gabe Aul's next bonus, then go right ahead and pay at that point.

"Try before you buy" software from Microsoft is finally here! Don't pass it up, as it may only survive as long as the Nadella reign continues.

Which begs the question: Would you stick by this advice to go with the Insider Preview program (and thus installing a patch-testing OS) if you figured in the whole "this will be a system for Bruxism's dad" part of the equation?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

EasyEW posted:

Which begs the question: Would you stick by this advice to go with the Insider Preview program (and thus installing a patch-testing OS) if you figured in the whole "this will be a system for Bruxism's dad" part of the equation?

I would. The abrupt reboots will get no better with a paid license. Nvidia driver updates are still going to interrupt you with screen blanking. And you can still choose to defer the update by a week if you are not a frequent rebooter.

The one tangible parent-PC issue is resetting file associations. But the pace of updates has slowed down and giving it a solid month to trial before purchase is better than buying a boxed copy and then having a cranky parent turn around demand a retro-function start menu, taskbar and compatibility with some awful, incompatible Better Homes & Gardens Weather Forecasting program that they suddenly cannot live without that will not run on more than 32bit 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

shadow puppet of a posted:

Dont buy it. Get an outlook.com email address then sign up for the Insider Preview and get a free, legal to use copy of the OS from Microsoft
Is this only possible for people who were already testing before it released? I'm trying to use this for a second computer that I'm setting up but when I log in there doesn't seem to be any way to download the preview. At the top there's a message that basically says "Thanks for testing, Windows 10 is now out for real" with a link to a thing that tells you how to turn on Preview updates for an existing install of Win 10. How do I download the preview for a new build?