Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Thank you, brave beta testers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Maybe I'm just cranky about it all, but it seems like the developers, that grew up on lovely slow CPU low RAM computers and had to get creative to get poo poo implemented and running, are long on the way out, making way for the babies grown up on Electron apps and poo poo, which results in all this half-assed crap.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Maybe I'm just cranky about it all, but it seems like the developers, that grew up on lovely slow CPU low RAM computers and had to get creative to get poo poo implemented and running, are long on the way out, making way for the babies grown up on Electron apps and poo poo, which results in all this half-assed crap.
If only windows 10 was as reliable as operating systems in the good old days, like Windows 9x.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

astral posted:

Thank you, brave beta testers.

When people were saying that the update didn't have a lot of new stuff / features got cut between previews and release, I was gonna say something like "at least these smaller, less ambitions updates are more reliable than the ones in the first two years." Ha!

/me changes defer feature updates setting from 30 days to 45.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mystes posted:

If only windows 10 was as reliable as operating systems in the good old days, like Windows 9x.

Like Windows NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, and even 8.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Klyith posted:

When people were saying that the update didn't have a lot of new stuff / features got cut between previews and release, I was gonna say something like "at least these smaller, less ambitions updates are more reliable than the ones in the first two years." Ha!

/me changes defer feature updates setting from 30 days to 45.

I'm still running 1709; it might almost be time to install 1803. :)

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I think there are still some really talented people working on System level stuff, all the "under the hood stuff" that never gets noticed, but gently caress the part of MS that likes to constantly push "new poo poo" out practically half-baked. I guess this is what people want? New feature! New feature! New feature! Not boring bug fixes, but New features!

Like this blows my mind, yesterday some people on reddit were stoked that windows bound snipping tool to PrtScn key. /u/jenmsft collecting praise, 900 upvotes. Seriously? This is what it takes? Minuscule improvement hyped through the roof, yet absolutely critical and known issue passed QA into the real world.

Meanwhile, Linux mint completely funded by donations has 10x better screenshot workflow built–in. With timestamps, uploading to Imgur. Oh, and then there's also ShareX a free little program that does that and even more...

At some point you have to wonder, how a company worth $700 billion with over 130,000 employees can be totally outdicked by Linux distribution running at give or take $5-10k/month (I know Linux is more complex, collaborative effort, has it’s own issues and I’m oversimplifying it, but still). Also New feature!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yea, the kernel stuff would be nice to get change logs about, too. That'd at least give some semblance of a glimpse about how they're optimizing things and dealing with new processor architectures, and maybe deduce how it works these days. I love reading Linux kernel change logs.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I've noticed on 1809 that non-maximized chrome windows will grow a few pixels larger if you say watch a youtube vid in full screen. I normally have 2 chrome windows snapped, one to the left and one to the right on my desktop. If I watch a youtube vid in fullscreen, whichever window it was playing in will be a few pixels wider when exiting fullscreen. Kind of a weird quirk.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Im_Special posted:

Like this blows my mind, yesterday some people on reddit were stoked that windows bound snipping tool to PrtScn key. /u/jenmsft collecting praise, 900 upvotes. Seriously?!

Wow, how horrible that less than 1000 people out of the several billion Windows users showed the most miniscule form of approval of a minor subfeature.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
7.6 billion Windows users, to be exact.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Well, uh, I spoke to soon about not having issues on 1809. Yesterday I had files in my local Downloads folder (in my user profile.) Today, I don't. They've all been erased and I have no idea how :lol:.

Not freaking out because I have backups on my server but still. Holy poo poo.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Disk Cleanup deletes this now.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

GreenNight posted:

Deletes what now? Stuff in the Downloads folder?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

fishmech posted:

Wow, how horrible that less than 1000 people out of the several billion Windows users showed the most miniscule form of approval of a minor subfeature.
Because there's a several billion people subscribed to the drat subreddit.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Wait, what? Really?

edit: What the ever loving gently caress? It actually does. That's probably what did it.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Wait, what? Really?

edit: What the ever loving gently caress? It actually does. That's probably what did it.

I had to tick a box to enable it to delete downloads but it's certainly possible it does that by default for some people lol

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Captain Yossarian posted:

I had to tick a box to enable it to delete downloads but it's certainly possible it does that by default for some people lol

That'll teach Grandpa for storing important files in the recycling bin!

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
I forget how to get rid of this dumb sidebar on the right

I got rid of it on my (Pro) desktop (well, it still is in the actual settings options for Related stuff but thats fine) but cant seem to get rid of it for my (Home) laptop

Im waiting for it to be one of the dumb things Id need to move to Pro to fix but hopefully not since I feel like Id be wasting a Pro key to "upgrade" the laptop

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Combat Pretzel posted:

Because there's a several billion people subscribed to the drat subreddit.

What's your point? Are you offended by the fact that people dared to click a like button?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Why do people who make dark themes always do poo poo like this:

At least the update didn't wipe all my personal files. Probably because I never keep anything in the folders MS wants me to.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

At least the update didn't wipe all my personal files. Probably because I never keep anything in the folders MS wants me to.

That context menu has a dark background for me.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
How Stockholm-d do you have to to be to blame the users for an OS erroneously deleting their data?

It's been well over a year since MS has been able to even push out a month's updates without loving something up. This is why so many of us didn't want the FU bullshit from the beginning. Stop loving with it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

phosdex posted:

That context menu has a dark background for me.

If I set things for "high contrast" I can get it legible. But then everything else is ugly.

Why can't I have the options I had in bloody Win 95?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
OSX has a similar problem with the conversion to AppleFS with that OS update. Sometimes it doesn't work and guess what you lose. The whole loving drive. Have to repartition and start over.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If I set things for "high contrast" I can get it legible. But then everything else is ugly.

Why can't I have the options I had in bloody Win 95?

Something went wrong on your installation, that's not how the Dark Theme is supposed to look.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

AlternateAccount posted:

How Stockholm-d do you have to to be to blame the users for an OS erroneously deleting their data?

This. This is the same kind of logic that leads to the Cult of Mac where their own users go, "well, clearly you're using it wrong, because Apple would never make lovely hardware and then charge an exorbitant amount for it"

https://twitter.com/WithinRafael/status/1048473218917363713

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 8, 2018

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Try refreshing it by going Personalization > Colors > then toggle to Light then back to Dark.

Also I love that within a day people pretty much fix MS's garbage dark mode.

Gotta admit, I'm jelly.

EDIT:

Arcon posted:

It has something to do with ads, and tips and junk, just download Winaero Tweaker and disable that crap. https://winaero.com/blog/disable-ads-windows-10/

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 8, 2018

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Lambert posted:

Something went wrong on your installation, that's not how the Dark Theme is supposed to look.

It's not how it's supposed to look, but it's how it looks on both my machines: one an upgrade from 1803, and the other a clean installation of 1809. One would expect the clean install to at least work properly, but it does not.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Arcon posted:

I got rid of it on my (Pro) desktop (well, it still is in the actual settings options for Related stuff but thats fine) but cant seem to get rid of it for my (Home) laptop

gpedit: computer config -> admin templates -> windows components -> cloud content
enable both the options to turn things off

Im_Special posted:

Also I love that within a day people pretty much fix MS's garbage dark mode.

Gotta admit, I'm jelly.

I have no idea why they haven't hired one or two of the theme hackers from deviantart to do this poo poo for them. It's nuts how other people can do a better job, and they don't even work there or have access to the code guts.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Klyith posted:

I have no idea why they haven't hired one or two of the theme hackers from deviantart to do this poo poo for them. It's nuts how other people can do a better job, and they don't even work there or have access to the code guts.

It's most likely definitely because every tiny bit of UI is a separate group's personal fiefdom and to get any one of them to agree on the tiniest thing is a multi-year multi-million dollar project.

http://moishelettvin.blogspot.com/2006/11/windows-shutdown-crapfest.html

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Im_Special posted:

Try refreshing it by going Personalization > Colors > then toggle to Light then back to Dark.

I think I've figured out what's causing this problem. If you are synchronizing your settings across multiple machines via your MS account (like one would expect everybody at Microsoft would be doing), then when you install/upgrade to 1809, your Theme is set to 'Synchronized theme' or whatever. If you switch from the synchronized theme to the default Windows one, then Explorer and the right-click menus seem to work correctly. So switch your theme to the default one, and then re-customize it. Once you customize it, it should automatically synchronize across.
Just toggling to Light and back to Dark didn't do anything for me, but playing around with the theme settings led me to the above discovery.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone else update to 1809 and have Twitter embeds unable to resolve in Chrome?

It's not just on SA but other sites too that it happens

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
1803, but I had just chalked that up to Adblock Origin.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SwissArmyDruid posted:

1803, but I had just chalked that up to Adblock Origin.

Huh - I just disabled ublock origin and that was indeed the culprit

thanks!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Er, yeah, ublock Origin is what I meant.

You probably have one of the social media annoyance lists enabled. Kill that one specific list or add an exception, and you should be back in business.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013

Klyith posted:

gpedit: computer config -> admin templates -> windows components -> cloud content
enable both the options to turn things off

Looks like that path doesnt exist in Home (though it definitely does on Pro) so I guess its something I have to move up to Pro for

Which is dumb

In other MS news, I rebuilt my Office install; had a school provided Office 2016 1 PC but I opted to pay the $80 for O365 University (4 years of the normal 70/yr plan) a couple months ago so I could put something on my laptop. School only has A1 O365 Education so I only get web apps which isnt great. With the new device limit changes and stuff I finally got around to moving 365 onto the desktop too. Had a MSI installer Visio Pro 2016 installed I had to remove, but putting its key into the MS Office account website spat out a Click-to-Run version of Visio that properly updates itself like the O365 install and is on the 1809 branch.

Im half-tempted to take the old Office 2016 and new 2019 keys and push them into the MS website too

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

All 2019 Office is click to run now. No more MSI's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I thought gpedit.msc was completely stripped out of the Home edition??