Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
7zip problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

redeyes posted:

linux problem solved.

FTFY

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's easy for me to say "well I haven't used Explorer's ZIP functionality since XP", but..that's not really the case for the vast majority of home users I don't think.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's easy for me to say "well I haven't used Explorer's ZIP functionality since XP", but..that's not really the case for the vast majority of home users I don't think.

The vast majority of home users have WinZip version 29 trial loaded. The rest of them have no idea what a zip file is.

mystes
May 31, 2006

redeyes posted:

The vast majority of home users have WinZip version 29 trial loaded
The majority of home users have a trial version of WinZip installed? Are you posting from the 90s?

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

How do I make a Win10 1809 install USB? I'm downloading the media creation tool on the Microsoft site but it says it's version 1803 in the file name. Or is it going to make a 1809 anyway? I ran it and made it, is there a way to check which version it created?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

owls or something posted:

How do I make a Win10 1809 install USB? I'm downloading the media creation tool on the Microsoft site but it says it's version 1803 in the file name. Or is it going to make a 1809 anyway? I ran it and made it, is there a way to check which version it created?

1809 was pulled back. They haven't re-released it yet.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

GreenNight posted:

1809 was pulled back. They haven't re-released it yet.

That's what I figured. I'm on 1809 now, but I need to do a fresh install soon. Guess I'll wait.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Nah screw Linux.

It's nice for servery stuff, but the desktop experience is atrocious. Unless a variety of popular projects doing plumbing at varying levels join up and deliver something coherent (i.e. the Microsoft model), it's not going to go anywhere soon. I've been toying around with Linux again a bit due to Ubuntu 18.10, and it's still a clusterfuck in my opinion. How long is the Wayland stuff in development? And it's still nowhere near feature complete (leaving out the NVidia bullshit) or without jank. Even ignoring Wayland, the arguably most used desktop environment (Gnome) can't even deal with refresh rates other than 60hz, unless you force a different rate via an environment variable. An in-principle outside entity (Ubuntu) had to actually step in recently and get Gnome's poo poo in order, too, in regards to performance and memory leaks. So I don't even want to deal with antics of DEs/WMs from smaller teams (let alone tiling ones, I'll never understand these).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Anyone else had issues with the "show taskbar buttons on all taskbars" setting on 10? It seems to periodically stop working, defaulting to "show buttons on active window", although not actually visibly toggling that option. I then have to go mess with the setting again to get it to do what I want.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

mystes posted:

The majority of home users have a trial version of WinZip installed? Are you posting from the 90s?

Duh, everybody knows you use WinRAR and you are REQUIRED to register it. :colbert:

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Thanks MS for 1809 being the first major update that finally gets me to format & reinstall. This update will also make me permanently configure the Windows Update GPO to wait months before ever installing these feature updates. Good thing I can still get 1803 to put back on.

I'll actually kind of miss the changes to the Notification Center in 1809. They did a nice job making that work better.

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 24, 2018

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Nah screw Linux.

It's nice for servery stuff, but the desktop experience is atrocious. Unless a variety of popular projects doing plumbing at varying levels join up and deliver something coherent (i.e. the Microsoft model), it's not going to go anywhere soon. I've been toying around with Linux again a bit due to Ubuntu 18.10, and it's still a clusterfuck in my opinion. How long is the Wayland stuff in development? And it's still nowhere near feature complete (leaving out the NVidia bullshit) or without jank. Even ignoring Wayland, the arguably most used desktop environment (Gnome) can't even deal with refresh rates other than 60hz, unless you force a different rate via an environment variable. An in-principle outside entity (Ubuntu) had to actually step in recently and get Gnome's poo poo in order, too, in regards to performance and memory leaks. So I don't even want to deal with antics of DEs/WMs from smaller teams (let alone tiling ones, I'll never understand these).

KUbuntu is where it's at, I was exactly in the same situation as you and just decided to take the plunge.

It runs on Xorg, it handles multiple display "well", it is stable and best of all I get to choose when stuff gets installed.

And it has a proper dark theme :)

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 24, 2018

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Hey, Windows 10 here. You know that Prolific USB to serial cable you've been using for ten years? Yeah, turns out it is a bootleg and welp, we're just going to go ahead and disable that for you. THAAANKSSSS!!!!

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Hey, Windows 10 here. You know that Prolific USB to serial cable you've been using for ten years? Yeah, turns out it is a bootleg and welp, we're just going to go ahead and disable that for you. THAAANKSSSS!!!!

This isn’t windows, this is the developer of the original hardware deciding their driver won’t support bootlegs anymore, and when it’s pulled from windows update and encounters one it unloads itself. Be glad you didn’t encounter the driver they released which flashed the USB device ID on those bootlegs to 0000, effectively destroying them.

I have some sympathy, but they are effectively stolen goods, so I’m not sure what you expect the original driver developer to do here? Ask Prolific to give you a working driver, you purchased it from them, they are the ones who should be providing that.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

wait, windows 10 bricks usb devices too? Jesus lol

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

EoRaptor posted:

This isn’t windows, this is the developer of the original hardware deciding their driver won’t support bootlegs anymore, and when it’s pulled from windows update and encounters one it unloads itself. Be glad you didn’t encounter the driver they released which flashed the USB device ID on those bootlegs to 0000, effectively destroying them.

I have some sympathy, but they are effectively stolen goods, so I’m not sure what you expect the original driver developer to do here? Ask Prolific to give you a working driver, you purchased it from them, they are the ones who should be providing that.

I have a workaround. Its pretty lovely when the end user gets hosed and not the distributor.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

redeyes posted:

The vast majority of home users have WinZip version 29 trial loaded. The rest of them have no idea what a zip file is.

Windows has had native ZIP support for what, a decade? Nobody installs WinZip except out of habit and users don't need to know what a zip file is because it handles like a folder.

Though some users still haven't figured folders. :sigh:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Last Chance posted:

wait, windows 10 bricks usb devices too? Jesus lol

That was a lovely third-party developer that managed to get their driver pushed to Windows Update. You really can’t expect Microsoft to check for that ahead of time. The driver worked fine for real devices with that ID and didn’t do anything to devices without a matching ID, so it passed all the automated tests and didn’t look suspicious.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Double Punctuation posted:

That was a lovely third-party developer that managed to get their driver pushed to Windows Update. You really can’t expect Microsoft to check for that ahead of time. The driver worked fine for real devices with that ID and didn’t do anything to devices without a matching ID, so it passed all the automated tests and didn’t look suspicious.

I don't expect microsoft to catch it, but anything on windows update has a signed certificate from MS. If I were in charge that would deserve a response to revoke your certs, you get to distribute self-signed drivers that users have to see warnings to install in the future.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

KUbuntu is where it's at, I was exactly in the same situation as you and just decided to take the plunge.
Gonna check it out I guess. But based on screenshots, I don't like KDE at all. Whitespace in wrong places, not enough whitespaces in other places, uneven control and label placements, and so on.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Combat Pretzel posted:

Nah screw Linux.

I use ubuntu with i3 to write code that uses EGL. I can't agree, like at all. You can still use X, ofc, like you imply. I've been using this setup exclusively for like three years probably. I'm productive with it, I can control updates; They usually don't wipe my home folder either.

Gnome has always been not good as far as I can recall. That's the mistake here.

I personally find the desktop UI to be cluttered and maybe a bit too complex, I haven't used it in awhile though. I think most people would be well content with a version of the windows 98 shell without upgrade or ad shenanigans. It's really all that those wm guys gotta do. And games.

E: LXDE is generally the other alternative I think, Lubuntu.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 24, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

Gonna check it out I guess. But based on screenshots, I don't like KDE at all. Whitespace in wrong places, not enough whitespaces in other places, uneven control and label placements, and so on.

If you Google KDE, you'll find tons of old screenshots. They've made great strides in making it look nicer. But, in general, Gnome has always been the more "consistent" experience and your complaints are certainly still valid.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
LxQt, XFCE and/or Mate for a more classical desktop experience. Not very many bells and whistles, but they work very well. KDE is a more "and the kitchen sink" desktop environment. I personally like it and use it daily for the last decade simply because of its endless customization options. The default KDE desktop is, however, perfectly usable for any normal person. As for the "whitespace in the wrong places, too much whitespace or too little" remark, i have not noticed that at all. Maybe I'm just too used to it.
Gnome: they just went crazy with their design philosophy. I guess it appeals to some people, for me it's unusable. Tiling WMs: one needs a specific set of requirements for that to be preferable over the big ones.

Edit: and, oh, just in case you aren't aware, you do not have to reinstall the OS to try out a desktop environment. You can have them all installed on the same system (regardless of which you started with) and just choose whichever one you want to use upon login. Yes, having more packages will consume more hard drive space, but that's the only downside.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 24, 2018

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Plasma 5 is pretty cool, running it in a VM doesn't do it justice. That is one the things I learned when running it on my primary rig. Linux in general I might add, in a VM I never had to figure stuff out because I would just shut it off after awhile, now that it runs on my main machine I do have to put in some effort. It is fast.

Especially when you take some time to personalize it the way you want it.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Double Punctuation posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/9phh1v/ever_since_the_october_update_the_overwrite/

So, the File Copy dialog is broken for archived files. It no longer prompts if there’s a file conflict.

What does it do? Nobody knows. Seriously, it seems to select an action at random. And if you’re moving files out of the archive, one of those options is apparently to not copy it, but delete it from the archive anyway. :filez:
I encountered this at work recently (just a windows 10 art desk workstation not connected to any kind of group policy, so it updated automatically to 1809 on original release date). Been using 7zip as a workaround. Pretty amazing that they can break a feature that just worked correctly for years.

Phoenixan fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 24, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Volguus posted:

LxQt, XFCE and/or Mate for a more classical desktop experience. Not very many bells and whistles, but they work very well. KDE is a more "and the kitchen sink" desktop environment.

Huh? KDE out of the box is literally "vanilla desktop, the experience".

It has about 10 billion options in the control panel, sure, but out of the box on first login, it basically mirrors a windows desktop, but with a useful console and file browser that can do more than the bare basics.

It's also the only desktop environment with a single control panel outside macspace :v:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Klyith posted:

I don't expect microsoft to catch it, but anything on windows update has a signed certificate from MS. If I were in charge that would deserve a response to revoke your certs, you get to distribute self-signed drivers that users have to see warnings to install in the future.

The tricky thing with this one is that Prolific is like Realtek, they didn't actually ship hardware to consumers they just provided chips to OEMs for integration. A lot of devices originally designed for serial connectivity were "upgraded to USB" by slapping a PL2303 inside and calling it a day. It was also for a time widely considered to be the most compatible chip back when it was quite common to come across picky old serial devices that didn't like most USB adapters, so a lot of us looked specifically for them. Any punishment that impacts delivery of drivers for these devices does a lot of collateral damage to innocent vendors and end users.

I'm glad USB-CDC finally caught on and modern serial adapters can "just work" with a class driver like other basic functions, but there's a lot of legacy nonsense that'll never be fully cleaned up.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Finally. Been wanting this for years, fast file-searching for your entire drive without using another app or adding every possible folder to the index/libraries (latest insider build).

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I've been having intermittent lockup/stuttering on my new laptop. It seems to enter spells where every ~20 seconds it freezes for about 2-5 seconds. It's persisted across reinstalls (1803 and 1809), on the OEM SSD and the new ADATA I slapped in there. Sleeping/waking makes it go away for a bit. Thermals don't seem to be a factor. Drivers/BIOS are up to date. It never happens in Linux (problem solved?)

Any ideas?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Finally. Been wanting this for years, fast file-searching for your entire drive without using another app or adding every possible folder to the index/libraries (latest insider build).

15 minutes? What does this do that Everything doesn't? That takes seconds

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

WHOAAA!! Thanks for pointing that out. It drives me loving nuts. Maybe it will even be able to index a network share. Hahah just kidding that will never happen.

quote:

Baby steps my good goon.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So Dolby Atmos for Headphones seems hosed on 1809, too. All channels other than center front sound like they're going through a slight saw tooth envelope. You notice when there's sounds like synth strings and what not playing on these channels. Maybe the center channel is hosed too, but the voice track doesn't exacerbate it.

--edit: Or maybe just the Daredevil soundtrack being bad and constantly triggering some compressor in Atmos.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 24, 2018

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Finally. Been wanting this for years, fast file-searching for your entire drive without using another app or adding every possible folder to the index/libraries (latest insider build)

Everything and WizFile have been doing this and lol if you think Windows native will ever be on par with something third party like this. 15 minute for indexing? wtf.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Im_Special posted:

Everything and WizFile have been doing this and lol if you think Windows native will ever be on par with something third party like this. 15 minute for indexing? wtf.
cool

quote:

without using another app

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

dud root posted:

I'm guessing they are building a completely new index/cache, hence the part about it being a resource intensive activity. Plus they might be giving numbers for HDD based installs, SSD searching might be done in seconds without an index but lots of people still have HDD for bulk storage.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The Milkman posted:

I've been having intermittent lockup/stuttering on my new laptop. It seems to enter spells where every ~20 seconds it freezes for about 2-5 seconds. It's persisted across reinstalls (1803 and 1809), on the OEM SSD and the new ADATA I slapped in there. Sleeping/waking makes it go away for a bit. Thermals don't seem to be a factor. Drivers/BIOS are up to date. It never happens in Linux (problem solved?)

Any ideas?

This sounds like some background activity causing a bottleneck somewhere. If you have Task Manager running when this happens, what resources are being maxed out? Typically I've seen this happen either during Windows Updates or an A/V scan, so I'd expect either the CPU or SSD to be the issue here (which is why sleep mode helps - because all activity is ceased.) This could also be a symptom of a lower-end SSD (i.e. a DRAMless one;) what are the model numbers of the Adata and the OEM drives?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Atomizer posted:

This sounds like some background activity causing a bottleneck somewhere. If you have Task Manager running when this happens, what resources are being maxed out? Typically I've seen this happen either during Windows Updates or an A/V scan, so I'd expect either the CPU or SSD to be the issue here (which is why sleep mode helps - because all activity is ceased.) This could also be a symptom of a lower-end SSD (i.e. a DRAMless one;) what are the model numbers of the Adata and the OEM drives?

Last time it happened, yeah the disk was the only thing with much activity -- CPU, Memory, Network were all negligible. I didn't manage a screen grab but it was mostly Logfile and Windows Storage Class something other other with the most activity.

I don't know about the OEM drive, but the one I put in should be fairly good. It's the XPG 8200 / 960GB. http://www.adata.com/upload/downloadfile/Datasheet_XPG%20SX8200_EN_20180316.pdf

I've been running with resource monitor in the background all day to keep tabs and for the first time haven't hit any hitches. I did replace the driver for the on board SD card reader with the one from Lenovo over the Microsoft one. I suppose it's possible that was freaking out?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's probably the ADATA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The Milkman posted:

Last time it happened, yeah the disk was the only thing with much activity -- CPU, Memory, Network were all negligible. I didn't manage a screen grab but it was mostly Logfile and Windows Storage Class something other other with the most activity.

Have you checked Event Viewer? See if there are any errors or warnings that coincide with it