Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You could also try resetting your active power plan settings to default - I've used this to clear a few weird too-soon behaviours from computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Laserface posted:

When I lock my computer, 25 seconds later the screens turn off.

on my old win10 machine, when I locked my computer, the lock screen stayed on.

I have set basically every Settings UI related display function to never turn off/never sleep/never hibernate on both power and battery but it still makes the monitors go to sleep after 25 seconds. I dont want this to happen as sometimes I only leave my desk for a few minutes and waiting an additional 20 seconds every time I leave my desk to get the monitors back on so I can sign in is annoying.

what settings am I missing?

there's no basic setting for it without regedits but instructions to change it are the first result on google

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Klyith posted:

there's no basic setting for it without regedits but instructions to change it are the first result on google

Thanks, this was it, although I had tried another article detailing the same process (probably for a different registry entry) which had no effect, hence why I asked.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

https://www.howtogeek.com/395121/windows-isnt-a-service-its-an-operating-system/

das crikstar
Dec 11, 2015

a glitzy recycle bin
I want to disable secure boot in order to boot from linux usb. This is a new Win 10 install, yet 'Advanced Options' upon shift+reboot doesn't display an option for UEFI settings within 'Advanced Options'?
*nvm i see i have legacy bios

das crikstar fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 19, 2018

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The new update borked my 5-Ghz speeds and has been causing random disconnects with my airpods, so I rolled it back. First time I've ever had to do that.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Does anybody else have difficulty accessing shared folders on their (build 1803) Win 10 PCs? I've been trying to connect via LAN on my Android phone and it's driving me ballistic. Some googling tells me Microsoft is a piece of poo poo and hosed up but *surely* they can't be this incompetent right?

hahahahahaha....ha.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Windows 10 is in perpetual beta now. do not expect stability and consistency in products still going through testing phases.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Well gently caress. Decided to do the windows upgrade my laptop has been bugging me to do for quite a while and it has totally screwed my computer. 1803 upgrade and when it finally boots there is a "Desktop is unavailable" error and absolutely nothing works except task manager and cmd.

Any advice on how I can roll back to the previous version from command line? Or should I just gently caress it and start again from the restore partition?

It's a ThinkPad x270 for what it's worth. loving bastard MS update

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Reallycoolname posted:

Does anybody else have difficulty accessing shared folders on their (build 1803) Win 10 PCs? I've been trying to connect via LAN on my Android phone and it's driving me ballistic. Some googling tells me Microsoft is a piece of poo poo and hosed up but *surely* they can't be this incompetent right?

hahahahahaha....ha.

Does your Android phone use SMB1? If so, support for that protocol is deprecated. To access SMB1 shares, search "Turn Windows features on or off" in the start menu and enable SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Lambert posted:

Does your Android phone use SMB1? If so, support for that protocol is deprecated. To access SMB1 shares, search "Turn Windows features on or off" in the start menu and enable SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support.

Rather than do this, probably use a different file sharing thing that doesn't open you up to the Cryptolocker variant of the month.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lambert posted:

This is exactly the problem. I can say for sure SolidExplorer supports SMB2 and maybe 3 and works great.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Gee, that dumbass 3D viewer that ships with Windows 10 keeps rendering even though there's no interaction and nothing's moving. I was wondering why my GPU kept going at 33-50%, until I've figured the app was running in background.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Gee, that dumbass 3D viewer that ships with Windows 10 keeps rendering even though there's no interaction and nothing's moving. I was wondering why my GPU kept going at 33-50%, until I've figured the app was running in background.

You aren't actually using it at all and never clicked it? Huh!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Picked up a new SSD drive to replace one of my secondary non-SSD drives. Figured it couldn't take more than 10 minutes to replace and reboot.

An hour later of the system refusing to boot and removing everything and re-adding everything, it dawned on me: When I freshly installed Windows 10 two, maybe even three years ago, it installed the boot loader on...the secondary non-SSD drive? :wtc:

Thankfully EasyBCD was there to move the boot to C.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington posted:

Well gently caress. Decided to do the windows upgrade my laptop has been bugging me to do for quite a while and it has totally screwed my computer. 1803 upgrade and when it finally boots there is a "Desktop is unavailable" error and absolutely nothing works except task manager and cmd.

Any advice on how I can roll back to the previous version from command line? Or should I just gently caress it and start again from the restore partition?

It's a ThinkPad x270 for what it's worth. loving bastard MS update

Finally got the loving thing back. What a pain in the arse.

e: and then just spent a couple of hours working out why the screen now blinks every couple of minutes. Turns out it was "Panel Self-Refresh" in the Intel HD settings that doesn't play nicely with Windows 10 1803.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 21, 2018

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Cheesus posted:

Picked up a new SSD drive to replace one of my secondary non-SSD drives. Figured it couldn't take more than 10 minutes to replace and reboot.

An hour later of the system refusing to boot and removing everything and re-adding everything, it dawned on me: When I freshly installed Windows 10 two, maybe even three years ago, it installed the boot loader on...the secondary non-SSD drive? :wtc:

Thankfully EasyBCD was there to move the boot to C.

This is why I always turn off the Sata ports for my extra drives in the UEFI/BIOS before I install Windows.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This is why I always turn off the Sata ports for my extra drives in the UEFI/BIOS before I install Windows.

It's been universal advice in SH/SC for the longest time. Always a good idea.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 20, 2018

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

redeyes posted:

I had the photos app randomly use 30% of the cpu in the background once.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sininu posted:

I had the photos app randomly use 30% of the cpu in the background once.

That has bugged me a few times as well; it seems to get stuck refreshing forever, and meant that my Surface sat there cooking itself and downing battery charge like a motherfucker.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've been slowly setting up my new computer which has windows 10 (I'm using 7 on this one) and some days ago it ran windows update and now today after booting it up it for the first time since then it suddenly takes 10-15 seconds before it actually connects to the internet or network. It's really annoying and I have no idea why. Rebooting didn't help.

Some desperate googling and someone a year ago with a similar issue was talking about changing "speed and duplex" settings but I can't find where to do that. I've looked at half a dozen different google results and all are loving different and none of them actually leads to a setting for it. Naturally I am searching for windows 10 only but it still throws up what turned out to be a guide for windows 8 without actually saying so on the site. I'm so frustrated I could scream.

Please tell me there's an easy fix for this somehow. Both the network and internet works perfectly fine once it bothers to connect.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Does it connect fine if you do it manually? If so there's a registry change that worked for me, I think I posted it in this thread

e- another thread but here it is fwiw

quote:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet > EnableActiveProbing 
set to: 0 

people like posting random registry tweaks without knowing what the hell they're doing so yeah, but it seems more reliable for me now so :shrug: worth a go and change it back if not, I reckon

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Nov 21, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Um, what do you mean by connecting manually? I tried to open the internet browser and look up other computers on the network but it said there was no connection but I assume that's not it.

Thank you. I'll see if I can figure out how to do that. But won't it break things if I connect to a different network or something?

edit
No it didn't work.

Poil fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 21, 2018

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

My issue was that it just didn't seem to bother trying to connect to the WiFi after waking half the time. If I clicked the icon all the networks were there, and if I clicked Connect it would all happen fine. Otherwise it would just sit there disconnected, with things like web browsers failing to load and not triggering an attempt to connect

I dunno if that fits with your situation or if you're on WiFi or what. And nah it doesn't affect other networks as far as I know - I'm not even sure why it's supposed to work, I think it's something to do with the computer attempting to contact a couple of Microsoft domains to check connectivity, and turning that off... helps somehow? Alls I can say is try it maybe, just make a note of what it's set to first and if it doesn't help or if you get issues, you can change it back

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ah ok. No this is good old fashioned wired with a cable (which isn't broken in any way, it normally goes into another quite old computer also with windows 10 with no issues at all). The light back on the computer next to where it is plugged in lights up and all as normal. Not sleep mode but normal boot up.

Changing the registry as you suggested didn't seem to do anything at all. I randomly found how to change the speed&duplex setting so I'm considering trying to change it from auto negotiation to 100 mbps full duplex. But after researching what it actually means I don't see how it could possibly affect things unless it now suddenly takes about 15 seconds instead of the old instantaneous for no reason whatsoever (especially since the crappy old win10 computer that is usually in that spot wasn't affected the same way by the same windows updates). God I hate this side of computers. :bang:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Try power cycling the device(s) on the other side of the network cable and/or ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew in a command prompt. Maybe that'll flush out whatever weirdness is going on.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Unplugging and replugging the switch beneath the desk? Maybe the router as well? I'll try those things thanks. I think I'll try them one at the time with a reboot between and see where the issue was if it solves it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Geemer posted:

ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew in a command prompt. Maybe that'll flush out whatever weirdness is going on.
I tried this first and it worked! Thank you so much (both of you)! :toot: :glomp:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Glad to have helped. Weird network issues are the worst.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Cheesus posted:

Same. I can't take out my D drive if I actually want to boot my system. It uses MBR for some ungodly reason too. Haven't bothered to fix it despite the issue probably dating all the way back to when I originally installed Windows 8.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

This is driving me crazy because it used to be so simple. After the April update "simplified" the Game Bar settings, how can I disable the game bar for a particular application? It used to be as unchecking "remember this as a game" in config, but now there's only like four settings total in the menu...

Smartphones were the worst thing to happen to PC UI design :argh:

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
Are there any known problems with newer windows 10 and older directx packages? I've got a brand new out of the box laptop (Acer Nitro 5) with 1803 on it and I'm trying to play far cry 4. Every time steam tries to launch the game, it tries to install the june 2010 directx package, which silently fails, and then the game crashes with missing directx dlls. If I try to install that directx package manually, I get an error that says "an internal system error occurred" and it tells me to check DXError.log, which naturally doesn't exist, and DirectX.log, which has nothing useful in it. I've tried the package that came from steam, and both the full and web versions downloaded from microsoft, with the same error.

This has to be a fairly common package for older games to need. Has anyone else seen this problem? Google results are mostly just lovely threads on the microsoft forums with bots saying stupid poo poo like reinstall windows and run sfc \scannow (which I did anyway, with no change).

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm in the process of putting together a (mostly) new system, but I'm keeping my current SSD and external drives. I originally planned on using my 120GB SSD solely for Windows and one or two games at a time, but over the years it's gotten cluttered, and I always have to move stuff around when I want to play a new game. I want to give it a fresh start for the new build, but I have some questions. I haven't had to reinstall windows in like 15 years.

1) I am getting a new CPU/MOBO, but since my copy of Windows 10 is registered to my Microsoft account, I shouldn't need to buy a new copy, right?

2) Can I just follow the instructions here?
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reset-windows-10-pc

3) Should I do this right now on my current system, or after I've completed the new build, or does it even matter?

I'm a little nervous about the whole thing because I have to take apart my current PC to build the new one and if anything goes haywire, I'll be stuck without a working PC. I guess I still have my original Windows 8 discs lying around somewhere.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

lazer_chicken posted:

Are there any known problems with newer windows 10 and older directx packages? I've got a brand new out of the box laptop (Acer Nitro 5) with 1803 on it and I'm trying to play far cry 4. Every time steam tries to launch the game, it tries to install the june 2010 directx package, which silently fails, and then the game crashes with missing directx dlls. If I try to install that directx package manually, I get an error that says "an internal system error occurred" and it tells me to check DXError.log, which naturally doesn't exist, and DirectX.log, which has nothing useful in it. I've tried the package that came from steam, and both the full and web versions downloaded from microsoft, with the same error.

This has to be a fairly common package for older games to need. Has anyone else seen this problem? Google results are mostly just lovely threads on the microsoft forums with bots saying stupid poo poo like reinstall windows and run sfc \scannow (which I did anyway, with no change).

try enabling 'direct play' under legacy components under windows features. this is under programs and features in the legacy control panel.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I rearranged my SATA cables to fit a new GPU, and now Windows can't see my HDD, even though the BIOS can. I've checked Device Manager and the Disk Management utility, but nada. What else can I try?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hooah posted:

I rearranged my SATA cables to fit a new GPU, and now Windows can't see my HDD, even though the BIOS can. I've checked Device Manager and the Disk Management utility, but nada. What else can I try?

look at the sata cables again, it isn't uncommon for them to work just enough to be a recognized device in bios but not actually able to do anything. if you put any sharp 90+ degree bends in the cable, route them differently to not need them.

sata cables are surprisingly temperamental. better to just run them straight path and not worry about the tiny airflow difference than to run tight angles trying to hide them away.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

redeyes posted:

No, I used it and minimized it instead of quitting it. But I expect an app with no interaction not to render things unnecessarily.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Klyith posted:

look at the sata cables again, it isn't uncommon for them to work just enough to be a recognized device in bios but not actually able to do anything. if you put any sharp 90+ degree bends in the cable, route them differently to not need them.

sata cables are surprisingly temperamental. better to just run them straight path and not worry about the tiny airflow difference than to run tight angles trying to hide them away.

After installing the new nVidia drivers and rebooting, everything's fine again?! I love computers, really I do...

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Nulldevice posted:

try enabling 'direct play' under legacy components under windows features. this is under programs and features in the legacy control panel.

Nope same error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

lazer_chicken posted:

Nope same error.

Are you running an antivirus? I did see a post from a guy who said that uninstalling McAfee fixed it (disabling wasn't enough).