Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Some good news for a change: the next version of 10 is splitting up Search and Cortana!

God knows when it'll happen since October 1809 has just now been re-released into automatic rolling updates. Maybe 2019 will have just one update? I'd be fine with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
What’s the easiest way to share some files and folders on the same network? 3 computers, all Win10.

I feel like I should be able to figure this out but I know it has changed a couple times in the Win10 lifetime.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

crestfallen posted:

What’s the easiest way to share some files and folders on the same network? 3 computers, all Win10.

I feel like I should be able to figure this out but I know it has changed a couple times in the Win10 lifetime.

Follow Microsoft's updated instructions here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4092694/windows-10-changes-to-file-sharing-over-a-network

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Klyith posted:

Some good news for a change: the next version of 10 is splitting up Search and Cortana!

God knows when it'll happen since October 1809 has just now been re-released into automatic rolling updates. Maybe 2019 will have just one update? I'd be fine with that.

I haven't been following Insider stuff in a while, but it doesn't sound like this really affects people with Cortana disabled. This is fine.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

D’oh. Thank you!

e: this didn’t work. On the PC with all the stuff, I shared one folder with the group of everyone. I checked \\localhost, it is shared. To be thorough, I then rebooted all machines. On the “This PC” view of computer #2, I can see the share. But it says blah blah is denying access to the share, contact them, etc etc”.

crestfallen fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 17, 2019

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

astral posted:

I haven't been following Insider stuff in a while, but it doesn't sound like this really affects people with Cortana disabled. This is fine.

No, but for those of use who don't have Enterprise or Edu maybe it's a sign that we can join you in being Cortana-less.

I've tried to remove cortana from regular 10 Pro before, and it's just too much of a hack when you do it the brute force way. Start menu gets kinda broken, stuff like that. I'm hopeful that by splitting Search off that won't happen anymore.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Klyith posted:

No, but for those of use who don't have Enterprise or Edu maybe it's a sign that we can join you in being Cortana-less.

I've tried to remove cortana from regular 10 Pro before, and it's just too much of a hack when you do it the brute force way. Start menu gets kinda broken, stuff like that. I'm hopeful that by splitting Search off that won't happen anymore.

I never had Cortana with Pro. I said no during the install, and that was that. :shrug:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

crestfallen posted:

D’oh. Thank you!

e: this didn’t work. On the PC with all the stuff, I shared one folder with the group of everyone. I checked \\localhost, it is shared. To be thorough, I then rebooted all machines. On the “This PC” view of computer #2, I can see the share. But it says blah blah is denying access to the share, contact them, etc etc”.
Does Windows Firewall consider your LAN to be public/untrusted or private/trusted? It needs to be private/trusted for file sharing to work by default.

If you're using any other firewalls, turn that poo poo off and it'll almost certainly work.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

astral posted:

I never had Cortana with Pro. I said no during the install, and that was that. :shrug:

:same:

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Is there any general tips for Windows 10 to 10 SMB file shares? I have two computers, no domain or anything and at the latest patch level and often times after a day or so one of them will be inaccessible to the other until the server in the exchange gets a reboot. This seems to only have started happening in the last month :-(

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

crestfallen posted:

D’oh. Thank you!

Share that one folder, but give access to the specific account(s) rather than just "everyone" (which might only be accounts local to the host machine.) In my case I sign into my PCs with my "Atomizer" Windows account, and explicitly give myself access to the relevant shared folders. Even if I'm prompted for access on one of the remote machines, I just have to supply my account credentials and then it works exactly as expected.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Start using IP address in your UNC paths, not host names. Don't try to rely on network browsing anymore.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Nothing besides stock Windows firewall on any machine. I’m not sure how to check for private vs public, I’ll figure that out. That’s a good tip.

Also a good tip about the user / credentials. I can try that too.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Yeah, the most straightforward way may be to use local credentials on the remote machine. On the computer you're sharing from, create a share - permissions don't matter. Also on the computer sharing, create a local account and drop it in the administrators group. Then when you try to connect to the share, use "remotecomputer\localadmin" to authenticate.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Klyith posted:

I disabled cortana on my pro in the group policies , nothing is broken and no hacking involved

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I don't think there is anything hacky about not having Cortana. At the moment it's not available in my language so I just don't have it. All "normal" functionality of search and indexing works.

Settings => Time & Language => Language:
Is set to English (New Zealand)

In Settings => Search => Language:
No Cortana :)

You could probably set the language to New Zealand English if you wanted an easy work around?
Just make sure the region/time settings stay as US (Settings => Time & Language => Region) so you can continue to see the date in the dumb wrong way.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The hacky way to not have cortana: actually removing it using the appx package commands in powershell. Trust me, it's bad. Parts of the start menu stop working.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

crestfallen posted:

I’m not sure how to check for private vs public, I’ll figure that out.
I had to do this recently and the settings panel option for it wasn't where it was supposed to be (due to another network discovery setting being non standard for me) and all the internet tutorials were for older versions of Windows 10. In the end I found that the most reliable way to view and change it was through Powershell.

1. Open PowerShell with administrative privileges

2. Run the following command:
Get-NetConnectionProfile
See the network name you want to change its type

3. Run the following command:
Set-NetConnectionProfile -Name "ITT" -NetworkCategory Private
Where ITT is the name of your network and you can change the -NetworkCategory switch value to Public or Private.

If at step 2 the profile is already set to private, this is not your problem and you should look elsewhere.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
You should be able to view it as normal via Control Panel => Network and Sharing Center, but I think one of the more recent Windows 10 updates hid/removed the setting to change it?
I rememberi having to Google and go through the Network Diagnostic Wizard to change it over to private?

That Get and Set NetConnectionProfile commandlets seem like a much more straightforward way to do it though thanks.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Xik posted:

but I think one of the more recent Windows 10 updates hid/removed the setting to change it?

The setting to change it got moved to the modern settings panel.

Settings -> Network & internet -> change connection properties

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

crestfallen posted:

Nothing besides stock Windows firewall on any machine. I’m not sure how to check for private vs public, I’ll figure that out. That’s a good tip.

Also a good tip about the user / credentials. I can try that too.

Easiest way to do this is open a Explorer folder window and click on 'Network'. If you get a drop down yellow bar saying you need to open firewalls, click that drop down and it will set you in Private mode with no fuckery.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

dissss posted:

I dunno, there have been more 'annoying interface bugs' introduced than squashed since at least 1607. 1607 was pretty much the pinnacle as far as Windows 10 releases went, it's all been downhill from there.

This, one thousand times. Tried 2019 LTSC and it was sluggish with UI glitches. Installed 2016 LTSB? Snappy, very few UI glitches. I'll probably format and reinstall 2019 LTSC on my main PC regardless at some point but why the huge difference? How much is Microsoft cramming into these releases?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

This, one thousand times. Tried 2019 LTSC and it was sluggish with UI glitches. Installed 2016 LTSB? Snappy, very few UI glitches. I'll probably format and reinstall 2019 LTSC on my main PC regardless at some point but why the huge difference? How much is Microsoft cramming into these releases?

Really?! Ugh. I figured LTSC was the safe option for business that need it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Isn't 2018/2019 LTSC 18.09? That's just a mistake, at least for another few months.

Condolences to those whose processors are not supported by the last LTSB.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I'm still on Windows 10 Professional 1803 and browsed through my "Uninstall or change a program" list. Saw KB4023057 listed there which is odd because no other KBs are in this list. Looked it up online and found this:

https://www.neowin.net/news/fix-for-windows-10-failing-to-install-kb4023057-update-because-it-is-already-installed/

Awesome.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

I'm still on Windows 10 Professional 1803 and browsed through my "Uninstall or change a program" list. Saw KB4023057 listed there which is odd because no other KBs are in this list. Looked it up online and found this:

https://www.neowin.net/news/fix-for-windows-10-failing-to-install-kb4023057-update-because-it-is-already-installed/

Awesome.

I did that fix two days ago, now it just came back again.

gonna remake the :ccp: smilie for microsoft

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So I notice lots of DCOM activation errors regarding Immersive Shell stuff in my event log. Looking up the GUIDs on Google, this should goes back for years. With the same few bunch of GUIDs. How in the gently caress isn't there a tool from Microsoft to fix this, since it's some access rights bullshit?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Wow, just wow. Now all UWP crap broke. Explorer complains about "Class not Registered", the start menu doesn't work. I'm so tired of that poo poo.

--edit: loving flimsy piece of poo poo operating system.

--edit: Wow, ShellExperienceHost got deregistered somehow, and it breaks half the system, because a lot of poo poo got moved to UWP. And I have no clue on how to "reinstall" it.

Seriously, if this component is make or break, why is there no mechanism to prevent it from getting hosed up?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 21, 2019

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Clean reinstall bro. It's not worth the hassle.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Couple years ago I also had something break in an update in a similar fashion (anything UWP based was effectively hosed) and I had to flatten because a refresh didn't fix it. Could've been related to that system running an upgrade installation from 8 though, no problems after that

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

isndl posted:

Couple years ago I also had something break in an update in a similar fashion (anything UWP based was effectively hosed) and I had to flatten because a refresh didn't fix it. Could've been related to that system running an upgrade installation from 8 though, no problems after that

Happened to me and my w10 installs have been clean. Mine progressively degraded until the only UWP app that still worked was Settings... Refresh did nothing. Then one of the big updates came out a few weeks later and that fixed everything.

So Combat Pretzel, you could try updating to 1809!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I am on 1809 since it went RTM the first time around. System Restore fixed it luckily.

That said, with what files does System Restore gently caress around with? I just noticed the copy of my 3D printer configuration file in the Documents folder reverted (filename ends in .cfg if that matters). Pretty sure it got touched, because some values reverted and last write time is Jan 17, despite having changed and saved it, and then and scp'd things to my RPi today. And latter has the new values.

--edit:
According to some TechNet forum talk, .cfg files are monitored and backed up. Glad I noticed. Apparently all these extensions are saved in a restore point:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/sr/monitored-file-extensions

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 21, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Does anyone know why WINDOWS itself would stop interacting with sound EDIT: INPUT devices? For the longest time now, I thought that there was something wrong with my Realtek audio drivers that would keep re-loving themselves despite every reinstallation. I even consigned what was probably a perfectly good AT-2100 to the recycle because I thought IT had broken, and not Windows itself.

For the last six months plus, I've been blaming the Realtek drivers, blaming a Windows driver repository problem installing the wrong drivers over what I had installed, that kind of thing.

But I rubbed two neurons together earlier today and remembered that I owned a USB external sound card that I had picked up from a garage sale some years back. USB sound card was tested and found to be good on two other computers, one running win 8 and one running win 10, but plugged into the one that I want to use it on..... I got loving bupkis.

(I am 95% certain at this point that a full reinstall will fix the problem.... but I'm not about to install the October update, still.)

edit: In order, I thought the problem was:

the XLR cable
the USB cable
the microphone
the interface/DAC
the USB ports
the drivers

only to have been wrong each time, and each time I have been loving stymied by this windows install just refusing to accept any input.

I figured it out. =E

THIS.

MOTHERFUCKING.

SETTING.

RIGHT.

HERE.

Is the reason why I consigned about a hundred dollars worth of audio equipment to an early grave. :argh:

They lied when it said that it doesn't block Windows. It totally blocks Windows.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I figured it out. =E

THIS.

MOTHERFUCKING.

SETTING.

RIGHT.

HERE.

Is the reason why I consigned about a hundred dollars worth of audio equipment to an early grave. :argh:

They lied when it said that it doesn't block Windows. It totally blocks Windows.

Oh poo poo yeah I remember running into that as well. Discord will not work with that setting. Discord also will not work when you flip that setting to the mode where discord DOES work until you restart discord.
So half an hour of troubleshooting happened there.

It doesn't block "windows" but totally blocks most/all(?) exe files run in windows so like..."doesn't block windows my rear end"

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

MagusDraco posted:

Oh poo poo yeah I remember running into that as well. Discord will not work with that setting. Discord also will not work when you flip that setting to the mode where discord DOES work until you restart discord.
So half an hour of troubleshooting happened there.

It doesn't block "windows" but totally blocks most/all(?) exe files run in windows so like..."doesn't block windows my rear end"

FWIW, Discord is also pretty picky about changing audio settings; often you have to restart it anyway, so if you've added/removed some audio hardware expect to have to restart Discord even if you've properly changed the audio settings in it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

that is a UI nightmare right there. "does not block Windows" is so ambiguous.

Plus, why would you want to block everything except Windows? If you need to disable the microphone entirely for security reasons, then why would you even let "Windows" have access?

What does "Windows" mean? Cortana? But Cortana isn't "Windows".... it's.. Cortana? Old school sound recording app? Not techincally "Windows" either? What are they referring to here?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Last Chance posted:

Plus, why would you want to block everything except Windows? If you need to disable the microphone entirely for security reasons, then why would you even let "Windows" have access?

What does "Windows" mean? Cortana? But Cortana isn't "Windows".... it's.. Cortana? Old school sound recording app? Not techincally "Windows" either? What are they referring to here?

Let's be clear here, the entire Windows "settings" menu is a clusterfuck of a UI nightmare that still falls back on control panel half the time anyways.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Last Chance posted:

At least it's not "Disable allowing apps to access your microphone", and you have to select the "Disable" radio button to actually enable the microphone. Because that would be about right with Windows.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SwissArmyDruid posted:

THIS.

MOTHERFUCKING.

SETTING.

AFAIK most of the other privacy settings don't even affect win32 programs, just UWP apps, so it's double weird. If I'd been in your position I'd have been screaming motherfucker too.

Just tried turning that on myself, audacity gives an error message (not a super helpful one, but at least indicating a software issue) when trying to use the record button. Sucks that whichever program you were using didn't give you any feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I figured it out. =E

THIS.

MOTHERFUCKING.

SETTING.

RIGHT.

HERE.

You threw away $100 in stuff without testing it on another computer first?