Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Microsoft released KB4476976 with a decent amount of bug fixes. Installed on Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC. Only issue I've experienced is upon reboot, the update cleared some Windows Server credentials I had saved under Control Panel\User Accounts\Credential Manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Ofecks posted:

Would they at least tell us if they stop giving updates? I bought my first smartphone summer 2017 and I'm still using it. It was the $200 model from Boost, and it seems to do fine what I need it to do. I'd like to keep it as long as possible.

isndl posted:

If you're really lucky they might put out an announcement that support for a phone model is ended, but in general they just quietly drop it. You won't see any indicator of your support status on the phone itself either way. Sometimes a phone might even get updates but only for a specific regional variant, despite the hardware being otherwise identical.

You can check this yourself. Go to Settings - (System) - About Phone - (Android Version) and check the date on "Android security patch level". Then go to Android Security Bulletins, check how many patch levels have been released since the one on your phone and how many vulnerabilities haven't been fixed on your phone, and start tearing off your hair.

It is so infuriating how badly Google has hosed up the security patching on Android, and the fragmentation is no excuse. The Windows ecosystem is highly more fragmented than Google could dream off, yet all those devices from small tablets to humongous super computers receive their monthly patches without the manufacturer having to do anything, Microsoft takes care of all the ramming. The whole update premise on Android is flawed.

This discussion usually also confuses security updates and feature updates. We don't care that much about the feature updates. Doesn't matter if someone is running 1809, 1803 or the LTSB 1509 from 2015 as long as they are judiciously installing their security patches. It should be Googles responsibility to have the patches delivered to all devices that are still running a version of Android Google themselves supports. Which seems to be at least 7.0 based on the latest bulletin and in the bulletin from year ago 5.1.1 still received security patches.

One could also ask if LineageOS can do it why can't Google and others. My Nokia 8, a newish Android One model, just got the Android 9 upgrade couple weeks ago. It has the december 2018 patch level which isn't bad, they are just one level behind. Or two if they don't do something soon. Then there's my broken Samsung Galaxy S 4 (2013) running LineageOS 14.1 with Android 7.1.2, also at the december 2018 patch level. Compare that to my Galaxy Tab S 8.4 which LineageOS doesn't support. A year younger model than the S4, running Android 6, still stuck at the november 2016 patch level. As far as I can tell still containing those horrendous WLAN and BT vulnerabilities.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Saukkis posted:

You can check this yourself. Go to Settings - (System) - About Phone - (Android Version) and check the date on "Android security patch level". Then go to Android Security Bulletins, check how many patch levels have been released since the one on your phone and how many vulnerabilities haven't been fixed on your phone, and start tearing off your hair.

I'm 2 patches behind currently. :ohdear: x 1000000000000000

e: Not going into details why but I need password management software. Needs to be a dekstop program, I'm not going to sync anything to my phone if it's not getting security updates regularly. Hell, even something to encrypt a text file on my desktop would do for now. The most recent articles from googling are all recommending something tech goons are saying is not good (LastPass). What should I use? I'm willing to pay money for it.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 27, 2019

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

Saukkis posted:

It is so infuriating how badly Google has hosed up the security patching on Android, and the fragmentation is no excuse. The Windows ecosystem is highly more fragmented than Google could dream off, yet all those devices from small tablets to humongous super computers receive their monthly patches without the manufacturer having to do anything, Microsoft takes care of all the ramming. The whole update premise on Android is flawed.

This discussion usually also confuses security updates and feature updates. We don't care that much about the feature updates. Doesn't matter if someone is running 1809, 1803 or the LTSB 1509 from 2015 as long as they are judiciously installing their security patches. It should be Googles responsibility to have the patches delivered to all devices that are still running a version of Android Google themselves supports. Which seems to be at least 7.0 based on the latest bulletin and in the bulletin from year ago 5.1.1 still received security patches.

One could also ask if LineageOS can do it why can't Google and others. My Nokia 8, a newish Android One model, just got the Android 9 upgrade couple weeks ago. It has the december 2018 patch level which isn't bad, they are just one level behind. Or two if they don't do something soon. Then there's my broken Samsung Galaxy S 4 (2013) running LineageOS 14.1 with Android 7.1.2, also at the december 2018 patch level. Compare that to my Galaxy Tab S 8.4 which LineageOS doesn't support. A year younger model than the S4, running Android 6, still stuck at the november 2016 patch level. As far as I can tell still containing those horrendous WLAN and BT vulnerabilities.

You're absolutely right that Google messed this up. It's still mostly the manufacturers' and carriers' fault for customizing base Android with extra features and bloatware, but the original sin is Google's for essentially making Android firmware instead of an OS that can be easily updated

They are working to fix this, however. See Project Treble.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ofecks posted:

e: Not going into details why but I need password management software. Needs to be a dekstop program, I'm not going to sync anything to my phone if it's not getting security updates regularly. Hell, even something to encrypt a text file on my desktop would do for now. The most recent articles from googling are all recommending something tech goons are saying is not good (LastPass). What should I use? I'm willing to pay money for it.

Lastpass is great. 1password is good as well.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ofecks posted:

If you're willing to pay, go for 1Password.

If keeping the password DB only on a single machine, the usual downsides of Keepass don't apply (that being that you have to set up your own cloud / synching system). But that's not great because at some point you're gonna need your passwords when you're not at your desk. Also you need to think about what happens if that one computer lights on fire or something -- hopefully you have backups and stuff but then your backups should also be password protected.

Lambert posted:

Lastpass is great.

Lastpass is not great. They're bad at security, which is not what you want for the thing where you put all your passwords.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

Lastpass is not great. They're bad at security, which is not what you want for the thing where you put all your passwords.

They seem to have handled their incidents pretty admirably, at least, publicly disclosing all necessary information, handling bugs quickly and no private data was leaked. Being the most prominent service of this kind, they're bound to be the biggest target.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lambert posted:

They seem to have handled their incidents pretty admirably

Nah, they really didn't.

On the balance I think LastPass is better than no password manager at all, but if someone is willing to pay for 1password it's got a much better record. And for anyone who is technically adept enough to set up Keepass + gdrive / dropbox, that's a better free solution.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Ofecks posted:

Welcome to the Android Ecosystem Experience. To exit the Experience, simply present your Pixel or iPhone to the attendant.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Double Punctuation posted:

Welcome to the Android Ecosystem Experience. To exit the Experience, simply present your Pixel or iPhone to the attendant.

Android One phones exists and solve this problem. No need to buy a Pixel or Timbphone.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
If you're rolling it yourself, KeePass plus Dropbox/OneDrive/Whatever is the way to go.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

xamphear posted:

If you're rolling it yourself, KeePass plus Dropbox/OneDrive/Whatever is the way to go.

I've had good experience with KeePass as well, easy to handle on your own without any costs.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Keepass rules

I Use it with OneDrive along with MiniKeePass on my iphones/iPads and it’s great. Even the girlfriend loves it

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, Keepass if you have a certain tolerance for open source UI, or the 1Password usability tax if you don't (or you need shared accounts).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://www.howtogeek.com/402569/everything-new-in-windows-10s-april-2019-update/

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Good stuff, might switch off LTSB to Enterprise for this one. Hope they keep it up.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm more in the camp of what is gonna be broken this time?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

That light theme looks hideous, hopefully they clean it up before the June rollout.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

There are some surprisingly good-sounding features in this April update.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Okay, yes, Sandbox is very good idea.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I hope the sandbox won't inform applications running within them that it's a sandbox. Basically, I hope it beats VM detection

astral
Apr 26, 2004

svenkatesh posted:

I hope the sandbox won't inform applications running within them that it's a sandbox. Basically, I hope it beats VM detection

Haven't used it or read up on it, but I would expect it to trip any existing VM detection.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Last Chance posted:

That light theme looks hideous, hopefully they clean it up before the June rollout.
Judging by the current state of Windows' dark mode, I think you already know how it's going to turn out.

Also, rolling Microsoft Rewards into a banner among other stuff on Settings. I really hope there's going to be a checkbox to hide or at least customize all of that.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phoenixan posted:

Also, rolling Microsoft Rewards into a banner among other stuff on Settings. I really hope there's going to be a checkbox to hide or at least customize all of that.

Best you can hope for is probably a group policy

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Phoenixan posted:

Judging by the current state of Windows' dark mode, I think you already know how it's going to turn out.

It's pretty brilliant. All they need to do is give people +5 points (sparkle effects and maybe even a sparkle sound) every time they use Bing/Cortana/Edge/any other poo poo they're trying to force down people's throats. Gamify the entire computer.

Too bad they missed the boat on lootboxes. Unlock new RARE skins!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i hope i get enough microsoft reward points to buy a solitaire subscription

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

My microsoft awards account got suspended for spamming fake bing searches. I got over $200 dollars from them, one $5 Amazon gift code at a time.

MutantBlue fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 29, 2019

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Lambert posted:

They seem to have handled their incidents pretty admirably, at least, publicly disclosing all necessary information, handling bugs quickly and no private data was leaked. Being the most prominent service of this kind, they're bound to be the biggest target.

The people who find the bugs in their code have been pretty up-front that the issues in the product were basic, numerous, and obvious and very indicative of people that were coding without understanding the security model necessary for the task they were trying to accomplish. While I do agree that their responses have been generally good, its getting really far in to turd-polishing territory and you should have a good long think if that is the kind of product you should be accepting risk on when 1password exists as an alternative with a much better track record.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
How is Bitwarden? I hear that being mentioned quite often.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-Kernel-Internals/Mitigating-Spectre-variant-2-with-Retpoline-on-Windows/ba-p/295618

quote:

For this reason, starting in early 2018, we investigated alternatives and found promise in an approach developed by Google called retpoline. A full description of retpoline can be found here, but in short, retpoline works by replacing all indirect call or jumps in kernel-mode binaries with an indirect branch sequence that has safe speculation behavior.

:goofy:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lambert posted:

How is Bitwarden? I hear that being mentioned quite often.

I use it on all my devices and on my Win10. It works perfectly, exactly as you'd hope.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yes this Spring update looks tits. Slightly excited.

Can someone explain something? Why in gently caress do companies spend so much time on emojis?! What in the hell. I don't even know a single normal person that uses anything except maybe a smiley face.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

redeyes posted:

Can someone explain something? Why in gently caress do companies spend so much time on emojis?! What in the hell. I don't even know a single normal person that uses anything except maybe a smiley face.

You and your friends + acquaintances are old

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

redeyes posted:

The only thing that seems useful - at least for us Powerusers - is Start Menu Reliability Improvements, Consistent Display Brightness and Speed Improvements for Spectre.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

You and I are old, our buying preferences have been cemented and it's a waste of marketing money to advertise to us. The only way to increase revenue is to get the teenagers and tweens locked into the ecosystem.

Perplx fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 1, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
A man posting on a forum famous, among other things, for having hundreds of emoticons, unironically asking why you need more than a single 😀.

It's really amazing.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

jokes posted:

I use it on all my devices and on my Win10. It works perfectly, exactly as you'd hope.

I hadn't heard of Bitwarden before but I'll keep them in mind if I decide to switch from my current password manager.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

fishmech posted:

A man posting on a forum famous, among other things, for having hundreds of emoticons, unironically asking why you need more than a single 😀.

It's really amazing.

😂😂😂👌🏻

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
is there any way to make windows skip updates? my 1803 update is still failing with the same error lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You can download the media upgrade tool and just go to 1809. The tool will tell you if something is hosed that the update won't work.