Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why the Dolby Access app generates like 2-3MB/s of writes to the NTFS logfile in 1903, that I'd sure like to know. Or why the hell Delivery Optimization is going full blast on network, despite WU saying everything's up to date. This loving update.

it's probably doing app store updates in the background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I thought that the number of the update (1903) was supposed to represent the Year (19) and Month (03) that the update was released. Is this not the case anymore?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Actuarial Fables posted:

I thought that the number of the update (1903) was supposed to represent the Year (19) and Month (03) that the update was released. Is this not the case anymore?

Nope, the release dates end up falling behind.

It's funny that MS did learn this lesson already at one point and stopped naming consumer-facing major Windows versions after the year of their release, but history repeats itself.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Actuarial Fables posted:

After the release, then recall, then re-release of 1809 and the big mea culpa that followed, they're letting this one sit in the release preview ring for a month first. So completed in march, release preview in april, public in may.

This blog post explains it: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/04/04/improving-the-windows-10-update-experience-with-control-quality-and-transparency/

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Actuarial Fables posted:

IIRC they're changing the naming convention to be Year-H1 and Year-H2. Names like 19H1 sound like some sort of influenza strain to me though :shrug:

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 9, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Actuarial Fables posted:

Yes, but Microsoft has a habit of letting release dates slip.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Hungry Computer posted:

IIRC they're changing the naming convention to be Year-H1 and Year-H2. Names like 19H1 sound like some sort of influenza strain to me though :shrug:

Those are the insider preview code names, not the official version names. The version is 1903 and the name is "Windows 10 May 2019 Update" but the code name was 19H1.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Combat Pretzel posted:

With 1903 they've changed the handling of Zen CPUs. My Threadripper used to drop to 2.16GHz (or whatever it is exactly) doing simple poo poo like watching a Youtube video and nothing else, now it doesn't really go below 3GHz.

I've seen that happen when the power profile got changed (even if you didn't) try resetting the balanced power profile or seeing if the cpu power settings in bios are enabled

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
And now Atmos is completely broken. Again.

Celexi posted:

I've seen that happen when the power profile got changed (even if you didn't) try resetting the balanced power profile or seeing if the cpu power settings in bios are enabled
Tried that already. Now for the CPU to downclock significantly during idle, I need to specifically go for the power saving profile. Definitely some changes. My water temperature is like a degree or two warmer on Balanced, so it's using more energy.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Combat Pretzel posted:

And now Atmos is completely broken. Again.

Tried that already. Now for the CPU to downclock significantly during idle, I need to specifically go for the power saving profile. Definitely some changes. My water temperature is like a degree or two warmer on Balanced, so it's using more energy.

I don't know if you can get to the Performance Power Slider (this thing), but on my laptop I'd bumped that to Best Performance, and later I noticed the CPU was never downclocking. I set it to Better Performance and now it actually calms down when it can and it's cool and quiet

Reason I mention it is you have to be on a Balanced power plan (or something that inherits from it) to get that slider, and from that link:

quote:

After the user changes to a Balanced performance plan, there is no way for them to go back to using the High Performance plan from the UI, although it is possible from the cmd line (via powercfg).

which sorta makes me think MS is pushing people away from that High Performance plan and looking to ditch it in the future. So I'm wondering if you've been moved onto a Balanced plan with Best Performance enabled, and everything's cranked as a result

I don't actually know what that slider changes (I was messing with my power plan to try and get it to downclock, only that slider had any effect) or how you can get to it if you're not on a laptop since I click the battery, but then there are separate settings for battery power and AC, so it should be available for desktops?? Just throwing it out there if you wanna investigate

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, I get that slider because I have an UPS connected. It's been on balanced since I can remember. I moved it around, seems to do the same as changing the power plan.

baka kaba posted:

So I'm wondering if you've been moved onto a Balanced plan with Best Performance enabled, and everything's cranked as a result
It's possible. Hard to test for, since I'd need to revert the installation to get some baseline in regards to benchmarking and DPC latencies. I don't think that you'd get a direct answer from Microsoft, unless someone on the team responsible for that stuff happens to notice complaints on a forum he's posting on (say here or Reddit, or whatever).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well I dunno about any of that, alls I know is my CPU was permanently at turbo speeds with the voltage pinging around the max, even when my laptop wasn't doing anything, and it never used to be like that. But I had moved that slider up to Best Performance in the past (when I found out it existed) and when I put it back on the middle Better setting, suddenly the CPU was downclocking again, the voltage dropping etc. So it seems like Best keeps it cranked so it's as responsive as possible, Better allows it to downclock

If it's the same for you you should be able to see the difference just by changing the slider and watching whatever monitoring tool, see if the floors drop. Personally I couldn't get the same result by tweaking my (Balanced) power plan, only the slider let it downclock, so it seemed to be acting like another layer on top of the power plan. It might not be the same situation for you, just thought I'd mention it in case

could also be beta issues of course! Maybe they're screwing around with the whole thing

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is there anywhere I can download an ISO for 18362?

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Installed 1809, I get an blank notification bar appearing every 5 minutes, turned off all notifications to no avail, googled it and it seems a known issue, any advice other than wait for updates?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

djssniper posted:

Installed 1809, I get an blank notification bar appearing every 5 minutes, turned off all notifications to no avail, googled it and it seems a known issue, any advice other than wait for updates?

Maybe you can get a notification for that?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Interesting. Upgrading to 1903 disabled IPv6. --edit: Nevermind, my router had disabled itself for whatever reason.

Also, the UWP settings app finally has its own network settings editor.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 12, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

Interesting. Upgrading to 1903 disabled IPv6. --edit: Nevermind, my router had disabled itself for whatever reason.

Also, the UWP settings app finally has its own network settings editor.

Where? I don't see it. Or do you just mean the "IP settings" option?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If you want to use something else than Bing in Chromium Edge, go to edge://settings/searchEngines. It's pretty blank, but say if you want to use Google, create a new entry with that search string:

code:
https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie={inputEncoding}&hl=en&q=%s

Lambert posted:

Where? I don't see it. Or do you just mean the "IP settings" option?
This:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Thanks!

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you want to use something else than Bing in Chromium Edge, go to edge://settings/searchEngines. It's pretty blank, but say if you want to use Google, create a new entry with that search string:

Chredge will automatically add the entry for Google as soon as you search something on Google for the first time. That way, you don't have to manually enter the search string.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Lambert posted:

Chredge will automatically add the entry for Google as soon as you search something on Google for the first time. That way, you don't have to manually enter the search string.
Seems a lot of services do. Would explain why my list on Chrome is that huge.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've downloaded the dev build of Chromium Edge and I wasn't expecting the entire UI to just become a carbon copy of Chrome, I though it would just be the way it renders pages.

[edit] Specifically, is there any way to get either the glass effect or at least a neutral colour for the top bar, rather than the system accent colour? It's pretty garish; I've worked out how to enable the dark theme at least.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 12, 2019

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That's there in 1809 (I think it was earlier too?)

I wish they'd just do a push to get all the standard settings UI ported over to UWP. Like if you're gonna start using a new UI, just do it, don't leave it half done so people have to go poking around two different places half the time

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

baka kaba posted:

That's there in 1809 (I think it was earlier too?)

Not there in 1803, so it'll be a new feature to most people. :v:

quote:

I wish they'd just do a push to get all the standard settings UI ported over to UWP.

I wish they hadn't done it in the first place, but I am completely dumbfounded that it's taken this long.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I don't have that option in 1809

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Its hilarious how MS is still going full steam ahead with touch interface crap. Their mobile division failed, their vision of tablet interfaces on everything failed.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
.....eh, I don't know about that. The Surface line of products is still going strong. I myself am contemplating getting a second-gen Surface Go, when those come out.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
They are popular but very few people use touch in all honesty.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

redeyes posted:

They are popular but very few people use touch in all honesty.

I am literally using touch right now. But that is because touch is great for lazy web browsing in bed

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Twibbit posted:

I am literally using touch right now. But that is because touch is great for lazy web browsing in bed

No touching!

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

With 1903 they've changed the handling of Zen CPUs. My Threadripper used to drop to 2.16GHz (or whatever it is exactly) doing simple poo poo like watching a Youtube video and nothing else, now it doesn't really go below 3GHz.

Zen CPU's need AMD driver installed for proper power control.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Twibbit posted:

Its still more of an add-on feature than a strong feature. No one does any real work that requires typing on a touch screen.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

FRINGE posted:

Its still more of an add-on feature than a strong feature. No one does any real work that requires typing on a touch screen.

Illustrators, animators, music makers, video editors, graphic designers, 3D modelers and other creatives. Microsoft didn't make the Surface Studio for fun.

Plus I set up laptops as part of my job, I jump between touch and keyboard constantly. Every time we get a laptop without touch, without fail I'll jab the screen like a goober.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 13, 2019

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Illustrators, animators, music makers, video editors, graphic designers, 3D modelers and other creatives. Microsoft didn't make the Surface Studio for fun.
Thats fair regarding the giant platform, but I only see Pros and Books wandering around town. No one uses them without a keyboard.

(And I reach for screens out of habit for the occasional tap as well, but thats not a primary way to actually get things done.)

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

FRINGE posted:

Thats fair regarding the giant platform, but I only see Pros and Books wandering around town. No one uses them without a keyboard.

(And I reach for screens out of habit for the occasional tap as well, but thats not a primary way to actually get things done.)

I use my Book 2 in tablet mode all the time to read white papers and markup site plans with the Pen. Same for showing clients plots and renders of the work in the weird ‘keyboard at the back’ mode.

I genuinely thought I would use it way less than I do.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I used to basically use my Surface 3 as a laptop, but recently I've started using it more and more as a hybrid and I like it a lot more now (even if it's dog slow, right on the edge of bearable if you don't have thirty million tabs open). Reading books and comics and such in the upright position is real good and lazy browsing in bed also works like a charm with the pen.

The worst bit is probably how crappy the touch keyboard is. Either it's always there, getting in the way when you don't need it or you manually open it every time you want to type something. But hey at least it's pretty customizable and I can have a full keyboard if I so desire. Plus to me at least it's the right size for typing too. I'm definitely considering a new(er) Pro as a replacement since it's poverty spec and over three years old now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Celexi posted:

I don't have that option in 1809
Neither did I. That's why the surprise.

Actually, that makes it worse, if some people on 1809 had it and some didn't. How would that even happen?

MikusR posted:

Zen CPU's need AMD driver installed for proper power control.
That's not true anymore for a long time already. Microsoft added direct support somewhen after the release of Zen.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Just checked: It's present on 1809 as well.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Neurophonic posted:

I use my Book 2 in tablet mode all the time to read white papers and markup site plans with the Pen. Same for showing clients plots and renders of the work in the weird ‘keyboard at the back’ mode.

I genuinely thought I would use it way less than I do.

I've had kind of the opposite experience with my SP3, U bought it thinking touch and the pen would be worth it but found that in practise I was just using it as a somewhat awakward laptop (I don't even know where the pen is and the screen coating is now so bad I'd never touch it with my fingers).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ruflux posted:

I used to basically use my Surface 3 as a laptop, but recently I've started using it more and more as a hybrid and I like it a lot more now (even if it's dog slow, right on the edge of bearable if you don't have thirty million tabs open). Reading books and comics and such in the upright position is real good and lazy browsing in bed also works like a charm with the pen.

The worst bit is probably how crappy the touch keyboard is. Either it's always there, getting in the way when you don't need it or you manually open it every time you want to type something. But hey at least it's pretty customizable and I can have a full keyboard if I so desire. Plus to me at least it's the right size for typing too. I'm definitely considering a new(er) Pro as a replacement since it's poverty spec and over three years old now.

That's kind of what I want to use it for too, but what's keeping me from grabbing one right now is I want to see what kind of hardware Microsoft puts into the next generation of devices now that AMD has forced Intel to get off their asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That's kind of what I want to use it for too, but what's keeping me from grabbing one right now is I want to see what kind of hardware Microsoft puts into the next generation of devices now that AMD has forced Intel to get off their asses.
There isn't much improvement in CPUs right now except for the number of cores increasing. The higher end / higher TPD intel processors have 6 cores now, but I don't think you're going to see that in ultraportables in the next couple years.

Also, if CPU performance is important, you probably shouldn't get an ultraportable in the first place because of cooling considerations (considering just getting a normal laptop plus a kindle fire or samsung tablet or something).