Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I ran into this problem this morning...

"Windows' latest patches crash Event Viewer"

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-latest-patches-crash-event-viewer-but-microsoft-has-temporary-fix/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Did the May update mess with some scaling settings? Suddenly all my apps don't look like poo poo at 125% anymore.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I'm being offered the update to 1903 (I'm currently on 1803).
Was this the update that didn't play nicely with usb external drives plugged in? Should I eject my external back up drive before I update? Anything else?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I wonder what MS are going to do next year, re-use the 2003 version number?

Helith posted:

I'm being offered the update to 1903 (I'm currently on 1803).
Was this the update that didn't play nicely with usb external drives plugged in? Should I eject my external back up drive before I update? Anything else?

I believe the update just refuses to install if you have external storage plugged in.

Edit: Also just updated to 1903 myself, no problems with the process itself, though haven't really done anything on it yet. My Start menu and taskbar are unchanged.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 15, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

nielsm posted:

Edit: Also just updated to 1903 myself, no problems with the process itself, though haven't really done anything on it yet. My Start menu and taskbar are unchanged.

Light theme is the default for new installations of Home only, upgrades won't be changed over. But the search window is now separate from Cortana.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Lambert posted:

Light theme is the default for new installations of Home only, upgrades won't be changed over. But the search window is now separate from Cortana.

If you still have the stock background it'll change into the light version. But the rest of the theme remains untouched as far as I can tell.
Also, people in places where Cortana didn't work, so they never had to bother with disabling it, will now get a search bar taking up a ton of space in the taskbar until you set it to hidden.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Ok, smooth and painless upgrade to 1903.
I've installed the new Xbox game app beta and I am about to buy the game pass as the Steam thread in games has been raving about it. $1 for the first month then $4.95 for the introductory period and I can see several games on there that I want to play so it's a bargain. Microsoft doing something right!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Installed KB4503293 last night.

Noticed a weird thing this morning where USB devices were yelling about not being safely removed, even though I had just done the eject and a popup said it was ready to remove.

This evening tried to load podcasts on my phone and couldn't get it to be recognized at all, no matter what I tried. The safely remove devices taskbar icon just shows "..." where it should say Motorola.

Load up the event viewer to see if this is producing errors I can look at or something.

Event viewer crashes.

KB4503293 shipped with a crash bug in the goddamn event viewer. Microsoft isn't just breaking the OS, they're breaking the tools to fix the poo poo they've broken!

Uninstalled KB4503293. Everything works again.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Lambert posted:

Yes it didn't mess with my theme.
What I was actually referring to was the old "installing feature updates puts ads for stuff back in your start menu and taskbar" complaint, which did not happen.

I tried the Light theme for a bit, it was too light, everything washed out. The OneDrive notify icon was almost invisible (white on light gray)...

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The OneDrive icon should switch to black after a restart with the Light Theme activated.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I'm not sure which update did this, but in a recent update of Windows 10, the little notification box that appeared when I changed speaker volume got bigger and is now in the upper-left corner of my screen. It's super annoying because it overlaps with my bookmark folders and URL bar. I've tried clicking the box to drag it somewhere else and right-clicking the box, but neither worked. I also haven't found something in the sound settings that would let me move it. Any ideas?

surf rock fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 16, 2019

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That sounds normal, I'm pretty sure it's been in the upper left since Windows 8. If it has some extra space to the right then that is for whatever app is currently playing sound, so if there's nothing playing then that's probably either a bug or an app is claiming to be playing sound, possibly a browser window.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

surf rock posted:

I'm not sure which update did this, but in a recent update of Windows 10, the little notification box that appeared when I changed speaker volume got bigger and is now in the upper-left corner of my screen. It's super annoying because it overlaps with my bookmark folders and URL bar. I've tried clicking the box to drag it somewhere else and right-clicking the box, but neither worked. I also haven't found something in the sound settings that would let me move it. Any ideas?

Check the program you're using for an option to disable the overlay. This has been a feature since the first version of Windows 10, the app you're using probably just got support for it.

Spotify, for example, calls the option "Show desktop overlay when using media keys".

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Yup, you both called it. It was Chrome all along! If anyone else has the same problem, here's the article that showed me how to stop Chrome from taking over the media keys (and thereby making the volume notification box like 10x larger).

Thank you!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Well god drat. Potplayer was doing this to me. I wondered wtf had happened!

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Trying to update to 1903 and it's telling me it's blocked by vmware workstation pro.

That's nice and all, but where's the "do it anyway" because vmware isn't installed so I don't know WTF it thinks it's found.

E: Like seriously, a hearty "gently caress you" to someone who thought it was a godammned good idea to check for programs that would block the upgrade AT THE loving END OF THE PROCESS INSTEAD OF THE BEGINNING WHY ARE THEY SO INCOMPETENT.

Any powershell magic to make this Just Happen, drat the torpedos?

E2: an exhaustive search finds no files with "vmware" in them on my system. So it's probably finding some non-vmware-named .dll somewhere and of course it doesn't do anything useful like provide details.

The ever helpful error 0x1c1900209 which manages to appear zero places on the internet.

Final edit: Multiple reboots later and attempts to upgrade and it worked. I had to rename the vmware directory my old images were in, remove cruft registry entries and some preferences files. I have no idea which one the updater was using to determine it couldn't proceed. This is a process that would have completed in 15 seconds if there was a "PROCEED ANYWAY, I DON'T NEED THIS APPLICATION" button.

Harik fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 17, 2019

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Plenty of time left until the final version of Windows 10, these issues will be fixed then

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there any word on Windows 10 supporting the HEIC file format by default? It would be convenient as when you save photos to OneDrive on an iPhone it doesn’t convert them to JPEG.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Sri.Theo posted:

Is there any word on Windows 10 supporting the HEIC file format by default? It would be convenient as when you save photos to OneDrive on an iPhone it doesn’t convert them to JPEG.

Windows 10 Photos has supported HEIF by default since early 2018.

Get the HEIF Image Extensions https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/heif-image-extensions/9pmmsr1cgpwg (& HEVC Video Extensions https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq?activetab=pivot:overviewtab) if they weren't installed automatically.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Lambert posted:

Windows 10 Photos has supported HEIF by default since early 2018.

Get the HEIF Image Extensions https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/heif-image-extensions/9pmmsr1cgpwg (& HEVC Video Extensions https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq?activetab=pivot:overviewtab) if they weren't installed automatically.

Just to elaborate on this, I had to install 1903 before I could install the HEIF image extensions. Prior to that, it was claiming that I had the wrong architecture and that it'd only install on ARM devices. I haven't yet actually tested that it works.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I recently updated to 1903 on my Matebook X Pro, and the sleep behavior has changed. A couple days ago it started playing a YouTube video that was left open, in the middle of the night when it was closed. This morning, I found it running and warm to the touch (plugged in, charged, lid closed). Only things running were Chrome and some stuff in the background like Steam. I'm also running Throttlestop in the background.

Before, it would go to sleep when I closed the lid, and after a short period of time (maybe 1 hour on battery, 2-4 when plugged in) it would hibernate. I've poked around in advanced power settings, and it is set to not sleep when plugged in (as before), and lid closed is set to sleep either plugged or unplugged. I've toggled those settings off and back on with a couple restarts in between and I'll see if that helps. Anything else I need to check?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sure it didn't wake up to install an update?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

sirbeefalot posted:

I recently updated to 1903 on my Matebook X Pro, and the sleep behavior has changed. A couple days ago it started playing a YouTube video that was left open, in the middle of the night when it was closed. This morning, I found it running and warm to the touch (plugged in, charged, lid closed). Only things running were Chrome and some stuff in the background like Steam. I'm also running Throttlestop in the background.

Before, it would go to sleep when I closed the lid, and after a short period of time (maybe 1 hour on battery, 2-4 when plugged in) it would hibernate. I've poked around in advanced power settings, and it is set to not sleep when plugged in (as before), and lid closed is set to sleep either plugged or unplugged. I've toggled those settings off and back on with a couple restarts in between and I'll see if that helps. Anything else I need to check?

1903 has a new scheduled task for doing updates that runs daily and will wake the PC from sleep. And because it gets scheduled into non-active hours, that's probably when your PC will be in sleep. It's very annoying and there are three ways to fix it:

1. Put your power plan onto a much shorter sleep timer so it doesn't stay awake after running the update check.

2. Disallow scheduled tasks from waking the PC at all:

(this is probably the best solution for laptop users)

3. Disable the specific task ("Universal Orchestrator Start"), which is a giant rigamarole because MS has locked it under the System account and you have to lock it down by read-only-ing a system file afterwards.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

1903 has a new scheduled task for doing updates that runs daily and will wake the PC from sleep. And because it gets scheduled into non-active hours, that's probably when your PC will be in sleep. It's very annoying and there are three ways to fix it:

1. Put your power plan onto a much shorter sleep timer so it doesn't stay awake after running the update check.

2. Disallow scheduled tasks from waking the PC at all:

(this is probably the best solution for laptop users)

3. Disable the specific task ("Universal Orchestrator Start"), which is a giant rigamarole because MS has locked it under the System account and you have to lock it down by read-only-ing a system file afterwards.

Awesome, I'll try this later. Thanks!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I was coming in here to mention a sleep issue after updating to 1903.
In my case it's that my desktop has stopped going to sleep at all. The screen is still going to sleep at the interval I set but I can't get the desktop sleep to work now.
Also night light isn't working anymore. The slider and on/off button in the settings tab does nothing.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Helith posted:

In my case it's that my desktop has stopped going to sleep at all. The screen is still going to sleep at the interval I set but I can't get the desktop sleep to work now.
Also night light isn't working anymore. The slider and on/off button in the settings tab does nothing.

AMD GPU by any chance?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

No, Nvidia GTX 1070.

The night light thing is a known issue and the recommended solution is to 'turn it on and off again' lol. That didn't work. Maybe they'll release a fix, if not I'll re-install f.lux.
No info about sleep not working that I can find.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Helith posted:

In 1903 I got crashes when changing brightness in the Nvidia cpanel. Reverting to an older backup fixed it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Initially, updating my drivers to June's release fixed it but then it stated crashing quite frequently.

This WaaS deal is really poo poo.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

WattsvilleBlues posted:

AMD GPU by any chance?

My computers with AMD gpu sleeps quite well, but the issue that i know about with computers not sleeping with win10 is usb based. I had to unplug my flight stick to keep it asleep.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Why the gently caress do colour profiles keep breaking all the time??? I fixed it week ago after the uh, big may update but it's broken again. Switching profiles has no effect.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost
Everyone needs to start sending Microsoft fake telemetry about what parts of Windows we use the most, so they'll concentrate development efforts on other things and stop breaking the features we actually use.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is it possible on 1903 to use the new dark theme for Window's own settings and apps but not have it change other apps (like Firefox) to dark as well?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ragingsheep posted:

Is it possible on 1903 to use the new dark theme for Window's own settings and apps but not have it change other apps (like Firefox) to dark as well?

Depends on the program in question: With Firefox, open the "Customize" menu and select Light Theme there.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-terminal-microsoft-store-preview-release/

Eh, pretty cool.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Sure hope you don't have a non-US keyboard layout that relies on AltGr for backslash and @, and whatever else applies. Because it's still broken. Which is pretty hilarious, given they're sharing code with the original conhost.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Sininu posted:

Why the gently caress do colour profiles keep breaking all the time??? I fixed it week ago after the uh, big may update but it's broken again. Switching profiles has no effect.

Try and disable the task in Task Scheduler > Microsoft > Windows > WindowsColorSystem, and disable the task called WindowsColorSystem Calibration Loader.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what your issue actually is.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Im_Special posted:

Try and disable the task in Task Scheduler > Microsoft > Windows > WindowsColorSystem, and disable the task called WindowsColorSystem Calibration Loader.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what your issue actually is.

My issue is that colour profiles stop having any effect after big system changes.

Sininu posted:

Uh, colour profiles don't work anymore for me. 0 effect. Anything I can check?

Edit: Ugh, it really bothers me how colours are off now. I tried restarting, deleting the profiles and resetting colour settings and redoing it without results. I use a laptop with HD4600 and GTX 970M so Optimus is in play and the display I use is connected with Displayport if that can matter.

Edit2: Got it fixed using the answer here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...34-2dd35cfdaf33
How that thing got unticked randomly is beyond me.

This happened after Windows reset. Got it fixed then, but now after the big update it once again doesn't work and the solution I used before doesn't apply as that box is ticked. gently caress. I'm so unhappy.

Edit: your solution seems to have done the trick for now. Thank you

So why does it keep having such terrible issues?

Sininu fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 23, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wonder when Google/Microsoft fix that issue where Chromium based apps have the very least degraded font rendering when hardware acceleration is enabled. Seems to be a pervasive issue lately, searching about it. I thought it was just Edge, but it's basically everything. Using Edge, browsing YOSPOS, whatever it does with the page in background, while watching some Youtube video in another window, that's sure trippy as gently caress.

I'm not sure who to blame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
On recent versions of macOS/OS X, recent versions of Chrome and many Chromium-based applications also have weird graphical issues usually described as causing "flickering" of the colors within the browser window and sometimes across the whole desktop. So I'd lean on the side of the Chromium project's hosed up something to do with graphics acceleration.