Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And that's why I'm never moving off Chromium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Chredge has messed with the compositor in the application, and its interaction with video leads to GPU driver crashes eventually. I'm not really happy with that, mostly because it'll probably be a huge drama to get it fixed, with what the feedback vector at Microsoft being stupid poo poo.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Got a dumb question about Windows users and shared applications, as this dumb ol' pandemic has forced me to use my home PC for work...

I have scanner software but I want it to operate with different preferences depending on which Windows 10 user is logged in, because I use this PC for work and personal under two accounts, and the scanner settings for my art and my office documents are very different

Is the easiest way to do this to install the scanner software under the admin account, and block the other user from using it, then install it a second time on that user's account? Or will the driver get confused? Is there some manual way to have application data route differently depending on user logged in?

smoobles fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 13, 2020

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Most Windows applications written in, say, the last 20 years, will store preferences (like default scan destination) on a per-user basis, you really shouldn't need to do anything special.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

wyoak posted:

Most Windows applications written in, say, the last 20 years, will store preferences (like default scan destination) on a per-user basis, you really shouldn't need to do anything special.

We are talking about printer/scanner software. That stuff was written 30 years ago by lowest bidder using triple outsourcing.

It won't hurt to try running the software from different users and checking if settings are saved differently. But I would suggest using something like https://www.naps2.com/ for scanning documents, and the bundled stuff for art.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I ran it under both users and it seems to sync the settings, ugh. I'll give NAPS2 a try.

smoobles fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 14, 2020

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
NAPS2 is great, highly recommended.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I can't believe I'm asking this but does Win10 have a built in remote support client that ISN'T RDP?

Sisters boyfriend's dad needs help occasionally and they want to remote in and help him.

I don't think they're gonna be able to talk him through enabling RDC and setting up port forwards on his router if he can't even install TeamViewer...
Also I don't think this is even a thing on Home edition is it?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Windows Remote Assistance

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026516/windows-solve-pc-problems-remote-connection-quick-assist

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

loving quick assist! thank you.
I knew it was something I just could not remember what it was called.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

How's this patch tuesday look, especially for win10 v2004? Any particularly compelling reasons to immediately patch or wait?

General home gaming / home banking use case.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I sure as hell hope they fix breaking printing in last month's patch. My older networked color printer just doesn't receive any print jobs from computers that have the June patch and there's no newer PCL 6-based drivers, which do still work (as shown by my newer b&w laser still working).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Since looking up this kind of stuff is an absolute nightmare these days, anyone have a lead on decent DVD authoring software that will let you burn DVDs that can be watched on a DVD player?

Yes, I know, USB ports, flash drives, and the DVD player might be able to just watch the raw MP4, but these are honest-to-god septagenarians, they understand "drop DVD into machine and press play", and I don't want to make things more complicated for them so I'm making it complicated for me.

I swear to god, I remember Windows used to have this poo poo built-in...

astral
Apr 26, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Since looking up this kind of stuff is an absolute nightmare these days, anyone have a lead on decent DVD authoring software that will let you burn DVDs that can be watched on a DVD player?

Yes, I know, USB ports, flash drives, and the DVD player might be able to just watch the raw MP4, but these are honest-to-god septagenarians, they understand "drop DVD into machine and press play", and I don't want to make things more complicated for them so I'm making it complicated for me.

I swear to god, I remember Windows used to have this poo poo built-in...

Last time I had to do that I used dvdstyler on Linux; looks like it also has a Windows version.

You might also ask in the Windows Software thread.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If you don't need to do anything fancy, I remember DVD Flick to be quite easy to use. But I haven't tried if it wirks on Win 10.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
How do I prevent Windows from automatically installing all their new lovely software that I immediately uninstall, like Teams and new Edge?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The new Edge is good though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Got my laptop back from Dell (fixed keyboard issues by replacing the main logic board, happy they didn't wipe the hard drive), but I seem to have lost the ability to hibernate. I know this was something I had to turn on before, but I don't see the option where I'd expect it to be.

this what i should be seeing

this is what i see

Any pointers?

e:additionally, if anyone has any advice for what I should check to make sure everything's been put together properly.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Rinkles posted:

Got my laptop back from Dell (fixed keyboard issues by replacing the main logic board, happy they didn't wipe the hard drive), but I seem to have lost the ability to hibernate. I know this was something I had to turn on before, but I don't see the option where I'd expect it to be.

this what i should be seeing

this is what i see

Any pointers?

e:additionally, if anyone has any advice for what I should check to make sure everything's been put together properly.

Try slapping
powercfg.exe /hibernate on
into the command prompt

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Try slapping
powercfg.exe /hibernate on
into the command prompt

Thank you, worked.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Boz0r posted:

How do I prevent Windows from automatically installing all their new lovely software that I immediately uninstall, like Teams and new Edge?

Teams is installed by business version of Office, so ask your system administrator. And the new Edge is a (clumsily presented) replacement of a system component.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just got a brand new tablet for my mom and everything is great except Windows Defender seems to be missing somehow. The service is there and running, but if I try to change any settings in the new control panel thing, it just takes me to the MS store and fails to find anything there.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Is any third-party AV installed or are there traces of one? In that case, download the uninstallation tool from the third-party AV website.

If that doesn't help, try updating to the latest version 2004, which amounts to a reinstall of system files. Maybe that fixes it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No signs of other AV software. But it's on version 1909 so maybe that update would fix it once available, thanks. Worst case I could just nuke it of course but :effort:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just loaded 2004 on an old piece of crap Dell E1705 with a Core Duo 2.6Ghz an ATI X1400, 2GB RAM, and a 320GB HD from like 8 years ago.

Mostly I was just trying to make the computer work for a kid that might need something to get on the internet with.

2004 is quite shockingly fast compared to 1903. Specifically the disk I/O is way way better. I notice 30-50MB/s when installing programs and other trivial crap where with 1903 Task manager would show say 3-10MB/s at best.

Wow!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Hi goons. This has been driving me crazy as of late. So the top two photos are from my Linux install and the bottom two from my Windows 10 on my dual-boot. Windows 10 keeps setting my download speed to 100Mbps. Even though I have a 250Mbps plan and all the hardware to support it. I've been able to restore proper download speeds though reinstalling drivers or manually changing the Ethernet settings in Device Manager, but every time the system sleeps and is shutdown speed gets reset to 100Mbps. Does anyone know what the problem is?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

redeyes posted:

I just loaded 2004 on an old piece of crap Dell E1705 with a Core Duo 2.6Ghz an ATI X1400, 2GB RAM, and a 320GB HD from like 8 years ago.

Mostly I was just trying to make the computer work for a kid that might need something to get on the internet with.

2004 is quite shockingly fast compared to 1903. Specifically the disk I/O is way way better. I notice 30-50MB/s when installing programs and other trivial crap where with 1903 Task manager would show say 3-10MB/s at best.

Wow!

Does it also seem faster, or is this just a change in measurements?

OhFunny posted:

Hi goons. This has been driving me crazy as of late. So the top two photos are from my Linux install and the bottom two from my Windows 10 on my dual-boot. Windows 10 keeps setting my download speed to 100Mbps. Even though I have a 250Mbps plan and all the hardware to support it. I've been able to restore proper download speeds though reinstalling drivers or manually changing the Ethernet settings in Device Manager, but every time the system sleeps and is shutdown speed gets reset to 100Mbps. Does anyone know what the problem is?

What's the port speed in Windows? Does 2004 still have the button that says 'adapter settings' (launches the old control panel) instead of that new settings pane garbage?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
No it seems way faster. Quite nice!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

how usable is windows with 2GB of memory?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

how usable is windows with 2GB of memory?

For doing internet things, seems quite fine! I swear I haven't had Windows 10 work like this in.. ever?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I had a much earlier iteration of 10 on a c2d 1.8 w/3gb and was damned impressed with it on that. Much snappier than the original win7 that was on it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I had a much earlier iteration of 10 on a c2d 1.8 w/3gb and was damned impressed with it on that. Much snappier than the original win7 that was on it.

You might be right about that. At some point something seems to have changed after the initial releases.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'm having issues updating to Windows 10 May 2020 edition.

I tried manually updating but it always seems to get stuck at 31%. A quick glance at google reveals this is fairly common so I tried all the suggested steps but it just keeps hanging.

If the Update panel says its not ready for my PC yet, might that be why it refuses to even install manually? Do I just have to wait?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Can anyone even force an upgrade to 2004 at the moment with the OneDrive block in place? Even removing that didn't seem to let it go through on my test machine.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Snuffman posted:

I'm having issues updating to Windows 10 May 2020 edition.

I tried manually updating but it always seems to get stuck at 31%. A quick glance at google reveals this is fairly common so I tried all the suggested steps but it just keeps hanging.

If the Update panel says its not ready for my PC yet, might that be why it refuses to even install manually? Do I just have to wait?

Best to wait. I mean, it'd be best to wait a bit even if everything wasn't telling you it's not ready for your computer, but it's especially true in this case.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

astral posted:

Does it also seem faster, or is this just a change in measurements?

What's the port speed in Windows? Does 2004 still have the button that says 'adapter settings' (launches the old control panel) instead of that new settings pane garbage?

You mean this?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

OhFunny posted:

You mean this?

It seems like Windows is doing something fucky with the driver. Is Windows Update choosing a driver to install? I seem to remember having to basically blacklist Nvidia drivers to prevent Windows from screwing up the install.

From your above screenshots it looks like you also have your home network set to "Public," but I am not aware of that affecting how fast it thinks hardware is.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

OhFunny posted:

You mean this?

Yep! It's saying your port speed itself is only 100Mbps instead of 1000Mbps. I see it's a Realtek from previous screenshots; where are you getting its driver from (since you said you'd been reinstalling the drivers)?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You don't happen to have Auto Disable Gigabit set to Enabled in the Advanced tab of the Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller properties in Device Manager, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

astral posted:

Yep! It's saying your port speed itself is only 100Mbps instead of 1000Mbps. I see it's a Realtek from previous screenshots; where are you getting its driver from (since you said you'd been reinstalling the drivers)?

From MSI's B450 Tomahawk mobo support page.

Geemer posted:

You don't happen to have Auto Disable Gigabit set to Enabled in the Advanced tab of the Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller properties in Device Manager, do you?

It's set to Disabled. Speed and Duplex is set to Auto-Negotiation. I've tried setting it to 1GB Full Duplex, but it stays at 100Mbps. I can set it lower to 10Mbps.