Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I've just discovered EarTrumpet which is the volume mixer W10 ought to have by default. I no longer have to go through a long process (right click task bar > open sound settings > App Volume device preference) to set an application to a different output) or change the volume of non-default devices or application (right click > Open Volume Mixer)

https://github.com/File-New-Project/EarTrumpet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This derail is getting dumb, but that accusation is also dumb.

Well I mean over the last two pages several people have made no fewer than three separate false accusations about it, so you tell me. People get riled up about what they think it is (which is largely due to internet sensationalism), not what it actually is.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I have no idea what the gently caress Microsoft did, but after the latest patch Tuesday, my system both idles and runs* 30W lower than before. :confused:

(*: browsing, watching Youtube and menial poo poo)

--edit: Nevermind, the update biased the balanced power plan to Best Energy Savings.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 12, 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Skype I can understand, but the idea that Windows (or any OS really) shouldn't have a built-in internet browser as a standard system feature is absolutely insane. Like what are you going to do if Chrome stops working after an update?
The problem isn't that windows 10 comes with edge installed or whatever, it's that they installed chredge and then are doing increasingly obnoxious things to advertise it and try to get you to make it your default browser. If they just quietly replaced the old version of edge with chredge and didn't make a big deal about it nobody would mind.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress Microsoft did, but after the latest patch Tuesday, my system both idles and runs* 30W lower than before. :confused:

(*: browsing, watching Youtube and menial poo poo)

--edit: Nevermind, the update biased the balanced power plan to Best Energy Savings.

Windows does like to reset settings like this. I wish it wouldn’t

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Quick question: I'm on w10 home version 1903 and update has been bugging me for a couple of weeks now to update to 2004. I've been telling it to wait 7 days.
Is it safe to update?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Helith posted:

Quick question: I'm on w10 home version 1903 and update has been bugging me for a couple of weeks now to update to 2004. I've been telling it to wait 7 days.
Is it safe to update?

Yeah.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
New one: explorer hangs when I select a docx file. This system doesn't have office.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Last Chance posted:

Windows does like to reset settings like this. I wish it wouldn’t
IIRC the trade-off option Better Performance used to be default. This is a desktop PC after all, and Windows recognizes it as such.

Weird.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

OK.

Updated, quick and painless. Can't actually see anything that's different at first glance, so it's either backend stuff or stuff I don't use like Edge and Cortana.
Glad that's done and over.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Helith posted:

so it's either backend stuff or stuff I don't use like Edge and Cortana.

Actually you just got some new emoji.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
the power settings on win 10 are confusing, because the performance and energy on settings menu seems to be unrelated to the old one in control panel? when I change it to best performance it stays in balanced in control panel and vice versa, I know that putting it on max performance in control panel would make everything boost for no reason and balanced would ramp up as needed, how does the win 10 settings one works??

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Helith posted:

an't actually see anything that's different at first glance, so it's either backend stuff or stuff I don't use like Edge and Cortana.

They finally decoupled Cortana from search and made it an app.

Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.549981C3F5F10 | Remove-AppxPackage

Will remove it. And yes most of 2004 is internal stuff.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Something weird is going on on this laptop of mine, the pressing ctrl-d no longer works. So it no longer opens font options in MS Word, and I can no longer crouch-walk to the right.

What gives? How can I tell if a program is capturing that input?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

What gives? How can I tell if a program is capturing that input?

Clean your keyboard. Or a bit more seriously, connect an usb keyboard and see if it also happens there.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

You can also use something like this ghosting test to check if your individual keys are doing input:
https://drakeirving.github.io/MultiKeyDisplay/

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I think they mean that specific key combo is being eaten by gremlins

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah my Ctrl works alone, my D works alone, but press Ctrl and D in that order and the input fails.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Windows 10: I can't Ctrl my D

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Phobophilia posted:

Yeah my Ctrl works alone, my D works alone, but press Ctrl and D in that order and the input fails.

I'd look for any possible software you might be running that is eating that key combo, possibly because it got assigned as a global hotkey.

Also you could try grabbing autohotkey and running this script (save it in a text file and rename it to .ahk):
code:
#InstallKeybdHook
~^d::
msgbox, "I successfully controlled my D!"
return
The autohotkey keyboard hook is low-level enough that it should compete with other software that would intercept the ctrl-d. If ctrl-d doesn't trigger that it might really be some weird hardware thing.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I wonder if using CTRL-D using the onscreen keyboard would reveal anything.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Might just be the matrix of your keyboard being somehow damaged.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Something strange is going on at the software level.

When I woke my computer from sleep mode , Ctrl-D started working again. As in, I could bookmark in Chrome, I could edit font in Word, I could crouch-walk right.

However, after about an hour, it stopped.

During this period, I tried several things.

Klyith posted:

I'd look for any possible software you might be running that is eating that key combo, possibly because it got assigned as a global hotkey.

Also you could try grabbing autohotkey and running this script (save it in a text file and rename it to .ahk):
code:
#InstallKeybdHook
~^d::
msgbox, "I successfully controlled my D!"
return
The autohotkey keyboard hook is low-level enough that it should compete with other software that would intercept the ctrl-d. If ctrl-d doesn't trigger that it might really be some weird hardware thing.

Yeah, I could activate this autohotkey script using ctrl-D even when the input wasn't working in any other programs. So again it suggests that nothing was wrong with my keyboard per se, instead the signal is being captured at the software level.

doctorfrog posted:

I wonder if using CTRL-D using the onscreen keyboard would reveal anything.

I also tried this, and I wasn't getting anything out of clicking ctrl then d on that keyboard. Clicking ctrl then s would save, ctrl then f would search the chrome window. Again, suggests something occurring at the software level.

And after trying all this, I put my computer back into sleep mode, have a shower, clean my d, empty my balls of p, and come back to the computer, and the input was working again. As in, the ctrl-D key combination starts working again, as does my on-screen keyboard. So while it's working again, something very troubling is happening in the background. I haven't installed any software recently, I don't know what is going on.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Have you tried cutting back on the alcohol? I’ve heard that can affect your ability to ctrl your D.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'm not sure if this still works for Windows 10, but it's worth a shot.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/hot_keys_list.html

Doesn't seem to say what they're doing or which program is responsible, but at least might tell you if something is deliberately doing it.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Here's a way to find out what process owns the hotkey, but it's a lot of steps:

• Get Spy++.
  • Tell it to log messages (Spy menu -> Log Messages).
  • Check "All Windows in System" in the "Additional Windows" frame.
  • Switch to the messages tab, clear all, select WM_HOTKEY, click OK.
  • Press Ctrl+D.
  • In the Messages (All Messages) window, right-click the entry and go into Properties, then click the Window Handle link in the Message Properties dialog
  • Click the Synchronize button in the Window Properties dialog to have Spy++ select the window in it's main window's treeview
  • In the Window Properties dialog, select the Process tab and click the Process ID link. That'll show you the process responsible.

Also note that Spy++ will only intercept messages for processes with the same 32/64-bitness as Spy++ itself. If you don't see results, you might need to try the other bitness version of Spy++.

If you find it's Explorer.exe eating the hotkey, then this tool should list all of the shortcuts in Explorer that have hotkeys assigned to them so you can find the one eating Ctrl+D and remove the hotkey from it.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 14, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Hope this is the right windows thread I guess.

My 5yr old is going to start remote learning kindergarten in a week. She needs a laptop. I have many many laptops so that's not a problem.

But how to setup a win laptop that's safe/good for kids? She's already pretty smart around both windows and macOS and will find herself in some really weird corner of the internet if left unsupervised.

I was going to clean install the latest win10 image. Add myself the primary admin account. But I'm not sure what these windows 'kids' accounts are about. Seems like they are more geared towards pre teens and teens. I guess I really just need to restrict her access online. I don't really need app restrictions or screen time restrictions. Maybe just a browser plugin? I don't want to manually maintain local whitelists in 2020.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Shaocaholica posted:

Hope this is the right windows thread I guess.

My 5yr old is going to start remote learning kindergarten in a week. She needs a laptop. I have many many laptops so that's not a problem.

But how to setup a win laptop that's safe/good for kids? She's already pretty smart around both windows and macOS and will find herself in some really weird corner of the internet if left unsupervised.

I was going to clean install the latest win10 image. Add myself the primary admin account. But I'm not sure what these windows 'kids' accounts are about. Seems like they are more geared towards pre teens and teens. I guess I really just need to restrict her access online. I don't really need app restrictions or screen time restrictions. Maybe just a browser plugin? I don't want to manually maintain local whitelists in 2020.
If you can't supervise, use nanny software solution? Or like you said whitelist, because backlist it all until late teens and burn it, I say, as one who was on the internet during my formative years.

Once they are old enough to know consequences, router level logging can scare them to stay straight?!
I don't have kids..

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Actually it looks like they are using google classroom and the teachers are dumping a bunch of YouTube links to kids content but I don't want her to start clicking the suggested links after the videos stop playing because the first tier links might be fine but the n-th tier could be q-anon flat earth poo poo.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Shaocaholica posted:

Actually it looks like they are using google classroom and the teachers are dumping a bunch of YouTube links to kids content but I don't want her to start clicking the suggested links after the videos stop playing because the first tier links might be fine but the n-th tier could be q-anon flat earth poo poo.
I'll be finding this out soon myself, but maybe the videos are embedded in whatever Classroom is, and just play without any of the suggested garbage.

yeah right, and they aren't harvesting info from children, either

edit: Actually, they may not harvest data:

https://privacy.commonsense.org/evaluation/Google-Classroom posted:

For G Suite for Education users in primary and secondary (K-12) schools, Google does not collect or use any user personal information (or any information associated with a G Suite for Education Account) for advertising purposes or to create advertising profiles, whether in core services or other google services accessed while using a G Suite for Education account. However, parents and educators should be aware Google may serve ads to G Suite for Education users in the “additional services,” but administrators have the ability to restrict access to those additional services. Lastly, Google’s terms state they do not assume ownership of any user data in the G Suite core services, and do not share or sell users’ G Suite data to third parties.
Not that I completely trust 'em, but there's that, at least.

edit2: YouTube is an "additional service," so, yeah.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 15, 2020

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

doctorfrog posted:

I'll be finding this out soon myself, but maybe the videos are embedded in whatever Classroom is, and just play without any of the suggested garbage.

In the Admin panel, admins can restrict users to only view approved videos on youtube, so if the child is using a chromebook or restricted chrome profile that doesn't allow to change user, they won't be able to see anything else.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
This is probably the "I've got a shiny new hammer and now I want to use it to hit everything" talking, but I think you can use Pihole to make it so that any DNS queries from a specific IP address are immediately deep-sixed if they don't meet a strict whitelist.

And then hey, you've also got a Pihole.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It's been a while but the built-in Windows 10 family management had some decent functionality when I used it. It required both parent and child to have a Microsoft account, of course, but I could whitelist/block sites and apps from the web. It's been over a year since I looked at it, though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This is probably the "I've got a shiny new hammer and now I want to use it to hit everything" talking, but I think you can use Pihole to make it so that any DNS queries from a specific IP address are immediately deep-sixed if they don't meet a strict whitelist.

And then hey, you've also got a Pihole.
I don't think you're going to be able to whitelist specific youtube videos with a dns server. You probably won't be able to only allow embedded youtube videos either. That's the sort of thing that requires looking at the actual content of the requests.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

biznatchio posted:

Here's a way to find out what process owns the hotkey, but it's a lot of steps:

• Get Spy++.
  • Tell it to log messages (Spy menu -> Log Messages).
  • Check "All Windows in System" in the "Additional Windows" frame.
  • Switch to the messages tab, clear all, select WM_HOTKEY, click OK.
  • Press Ctrl+D.
  • In the Messages (All Messages) window, right-click the entry and go into Properties, then click the Window Handle link in the Message Properties dialog
  • Click the Synchronize button in the Window Properties dialog to have Spy++ select the window in it's main window's treeview
  • In the Window Properties dialog, select the Process tab and click the Process ID link. That'll show you the process responsible.

Also note that Spy++ will only intercept messages for processes with the same 32/64-bitness as Spy++ itself. If you don't see results, you might need to try the other bitness version of Spy++.

If you find it's Explorer.exe eating the hotkey, then this tool should list all of the shortcuts in Explorer that have hotkeys assigned to them so you can find the one eating Ctrl+D and remove the hotkey from it.

I found it.

It was an issue with NVidia Shadowplay. That was the process that was eating my input.

I found a bug report with this exact same issue, found with Spy++ as well. From years ago. And well, for some reason, it popped for me for some incomprehensible reason.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-experience/14/258724/bug-shadowplay-nvsphelper64exe-can-swallow-keyboar/

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Goddamn, nice find!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

doctorfrog posted:

Now I'm contemplating if I should just get a Chromebook instead. Doesn't help me with youtube filtering out of the box but it's most of a walled system than a windows box.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If you want a walled system, set up a second user account without administrative permissions. Buying a Chromebook doesn't really help you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Celexi posted:

In the Admin panel, admins can restrict users to only view approved videos on youtube, so if the child is using a chromebook or restricted chrome profile that doesn't allow to change user, they won't be able to see anything else.
At least it's possible, thanks. Bigger question about whether the school/district admin has the same concerns as I do, but one thing at a time.