Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Just as a general troubleshooting step, did you run DDU to completely remove the Nvidia drivers when you went to an AMD GPU?

no, but seeing how that's both just a placebo these days and also it was also happening on nvidia, i don't see how it's gonna help

i googled around and i know why it's happening now. DP monitors are "unplugged" if you push the power button apparently, and windows can't handle rendering to the framebuffer when the monitor isn't there or something? and it seems every so often, windows fails to remove the monitor when it's "unplugged" and then it works fine lmao. if only i could fire windows kernel bugs on demand

either way, i'm gonna need a passthrough EDID emulator for DP1.4 (which seems to not exist at sane prices?) or a monitor that doesn't get unplugged via off-switch :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Running DDU may not be as necessary nowadays but it's still a reasonable troubleshooting step.

Do you get the same problem cropping up if you have Windows sleep the display instead of turning it off with the power switch? I mean, like have the screensaver set to kick in and sleep the screen instead of having an actual screensaver?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Truga posted:

i googled around and i know why it's happening now. DP monitors are "unplugged" if you push the power button apparently, and windows can't handle rendering to the framebuffer when the monitor isn't there or something?

Yeah, DisplayPort is hosed up. I don't think it's windows not being able to render to the framebuffer -- I suspect that if you got things set up so that the monitor was never on it would work fine. It's the transition from real monitor to the virtual monitor that is likely messing up the software.

Also you might want to look into whether the GPU is downclocking in response to no monitor, that's another thing that might be happening.

I run 2 monitors, and the crappy asus one that's my primary is DP. It loses connection pretty frequently just from the monitor being put into power save, not even hard power off. So when that happens, all the windows get shifted over to the secondary 1680x1050 monitor and it fucks up the window sizes & positions. I ended up writing some custom AHK to save & restore window positions because it's so goddamn frustrating.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Yeah Displayport sucks in that regard, same way you can't turn off you monitor when running a Steam link when you could in the past with HDMI.

DDU might be a placebo, but it sure as poo poo fixed some of the issues with my computer just rebooting after going from a 1080GTX to 3060GTX.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

e: wrong thread

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 8, 2021

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Truga posted:

no, but seeing how that's both just a placebo these days and also it was also happening on nvidia, i don't see how it's gonna help

i googled around and i know why it's happening now. DP monitors are "unplugged" if you push the power button apparently, and windows can't handle rendering to the framebuffer when the monitor isn't there or something? and it seems every so often, windows fails to remove the monitor when it's "unplugged" and then it works fine lmao. if only i could fire windows kernel bugs on demand

either way, i'm gonna need a passthrough EDID emulator for DP1.4 (which seems to not exist at sane prices?) or a monitor that doesn't get unplugged via off-switch :sigh:

It not a DisplayPort thing. It's the monitor doing power saving wrong. In some cases you can fix the behavior by turning off certain power saving options on the monitor itself.

Either way, the monitor is explicitly telling your computer that it's disconnecting and the DisplayPort spec specifically says not to do this, but a lot of monitors apparently use a broken controller or something that does it this way anyways.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Windows literally still keeps code around for the 1995 version of SimCity to still work, at this point they could add a workaround for so many DP monitors having this issue.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Fame Douglas posted:

Kinda sounds like overscan, but also doesn't. Is it just the top or the other sides as well? What connector is she using?

I just went and futzed around with it a bit and it seems like the problem was fullscreen mode got sort of stuck halfway. I hit f11 and the task bar went away, hit it again to go out of fullscreen and now it behaves normally.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Windows literally still keeps code around for the 1995 version of SimCity to still work, at this point they could add a workaround for so many DP monitors having this issue.

Like specifically the code is for SimCity?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

BaronVanAwesome posted:

They specifically added code to Win95 that changed how Windows allocated memory if Sim City was running, because Sim City was written for 3.x which handled it differently. No idea if that code is still part of Windows but I wouldn't be surprised if it was, you still can't name a file "con" or "nul" after all.

Here's a write up about it:

https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/05/24/strategy-letter-ii-chicken-and-egg-problems/

quote:

Jon Ross, who wrote the original version of SimCity for Windows 3.x, told me that he accidentally left a bug in SimCity where he read memory that he had just freed. Yep. It worked fine on Windows 3.x, because the memory never went anywhere. Here’s the amazing part: On beta versions of Windows 95, SimCity wasn’t working in testing. Microsoft tracked down the bug and added specific code to Windows 95 that looks for SimCity. If it finds SimCity running, it runs the memory allocator in a special mode that doesn’t free memory right away. That’s the kind of obsession with backward compatibility that made people willing to upgrade to Windows 95.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Yes, and looking in the source code like for XP / 2003, SimCity specific code from that era can be found.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 8, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

wolrah posted:

It not a DisplayPort thing. It's the monitor doing power saving wrong. In some cases you can fix the behavior by turning off certain power saving options on the monitor itself.

Either way, the monitor is explicitly telling your computer that it's disconnecting and the DisplayPort spec specifically says not to do this, but a lot of monitors apparently use a broken controller or something that does it this way anyways.

With the same monitors, I've have this issue with one PC but not the other. One has an Intel iGPU, the other is using an Nvidia graphics card. So drivers seem to play a role as well.

Also, with the exception of my Asus monitors that have the option to disable "deep sleep", I'm pretty sure almost all monitors do the "wrong" behavior of completely powering off.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Fame Douglas posted:

With the same monitors, I've have this issue with one PC but not the other. One has an Intel iGPU, the other is using an Nvidia graphics card. So drivers seem to play a role as well.

Also, with the exception of my Asus monitors that have the option to disable "deep sleep", I'm pretty sure almost all monitors do the "wrong" behavior of completely powering off.

I've never had a DisplayPort monitor that actually slept "correctly".

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Good! It's still the best SimCity after all these years.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Im_Special posted:

Good! It's still the best SimCity after all these years.

Yeah honestly I just enjoy any opportunity to bring that up because it is a cool story and I love SimCity.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

biznatchio posted:

I've never had a DisplayPort monitor that actually slept "correctly".

Some people do it right. I have a 4k LG monitor that sleeps and wakes just fine with no issues since I first plugged it in.

My guess is that a lot of manufacturers cheaped out and added the minimum function for DP to work without doing the real work.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Less Fat Luke posted:

How do you propose that works? The monitor is literally turning off the "there is a monitor attached" signal. The system sees nothing different from if you physically unplugged it. There is no possible way to fix this from the PC side, it's purely a flaw in the monitor.

You could bodge it for some people by telling the system to ignore disconnections for this monitor, but that opens up its own can of support worms when people inevitably enable that feature, unplug the monitor, then lose windows to the void.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

wolrah posted:

How do you propose that works? The monitor is literally turning off the "there is a monitor attached" signal. The system sees nothing different from if you physically unplugged it. There is no possible way to fix this from the PC side, it's purely a flaw in the monitor.

You could bodge it for some people by telling the system to ignore disconnections for this monitor, but that opens up its own can of support worms when people inevitably enable that feature, unplug the monitor, then lose windows to the void.

It the very least I'd like the OS to have a longer delay between losing the "monitor attached" signal and re-configuring the display arrangement. That would at least solve all the monitors (like mine) that occasionally take a dump while entering or exiting power save.

But a hypothetical ignore disconnects feature wouldn't need to preserve displays across reboots. Since support for people who do things like that already starts with "have you tried rebooting it", that solves the problem.

Secondly, they could make the win+p projection & monitor chooser solve this by being a bit more intelligent. Have the overlay thingy show up on every known screen, and make the options contextual. So in the event that I've lost a monitor, I press win+p and click "this screen only" on my other monitor. (This will never happen since it's a very desktop-oriented way to think about screens, while win+p and the entire way that windows responds to monitor dis/connection is oriented to laptops.)

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

wolrah posted:

From my understanding it shuffles things to a virtual screen of a much lower resolution; having the fake screen match the last real resolution wouldn’t be much of a stretch.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Self-replying but you can actually change the virtual display size that Windows swaps out too upon DP disconnection, the resolution is under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\Simulated.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Less Fat Luke posted:

Self-replying but you can actually change the virtual display size that Windows swaps out too upon DP disconnection, the resolution is under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\Simulated.

sadly this trick only works if you have 1 monitor -- if you have 2 the windows get bounced (and resized) to the other screen rather than the virtual screen

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Klyith posted:

sadly this trick only works if you have 1 monitor -- if you have 2 the windows get bounced (and resized) to the other screen rather than the virtual screen

Oh yeah I long ago gave up on having two monitors, it's so fucky in Windows. It's easier to just keep my cheap rear end laptop next to my main desktop.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is there a simple webcam recorder out there that will let me choose the audio input device?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

codo27 posted:

Is there a simple webcam recorder out there that will let me choose the audio input device?

I don't know if it counts as "simple", but OBS will definitely do it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Klyith posted:

It the very least I'd like the OS to have a longer delay between losing the "monitor attached" signal and re-configuring the display arrangement. That would at least solve all the monitors (like mine) that occasionally take a dump while entering or exiting power save.
It seems like anything that would ignore short disconnections would cause problems with dumber KVM switches, home theater receivers, output switchers, etc. where the connection is rapidly switched.

quote:

But a hypothetical ignore disconnects feature wouldn't need to preserve displays across reboots. Since support for people who do things like that already starts with "have you tried rebooting it", that solves the problem.
So when one of my clients is asking where their document that was on their second monitor went when they took their laptop home I should just tell them to reboot it? Or are you suggesting that the setting need to be toggled on every boot, which would be pretty annoying in itself.

quote:

Secondly, they could make the win+p projection & monitor chooser solve this by being a bit more intelligent. Have the overlay thingy show up on every known screen, and make the options contextual. So in the event that I've lost a monitor, I press win+p and click "this screen only" on my other monitor. (This will never happen since it's a very desktop-oriented way to think about screens, while win+p and the entire way that windows responds to monitor dis/connection is oriented to laptops.)
Certainly nothing against better tooling for controlling multiple monitor environments, but any behavior changes that could break existing working configurations just to fix a hardware problem are unlikely to make it in to Windows.

The Simcity fix mentioned earlier is there because while the bug is entirely in the Simcity code, it wasn't exposed until Windows 95 came along and actually cared about the memory area Simcity was accessing. From the perspective of the user their game would have worked just fine until they installed Windows 95. That gave Microsoft reason to care about someone else's problem. That doesn't apply here, these monitors are broken on every computer and every operating system that has a concept of hot-plug monitors.

Less Fat Luke posted:

From my understanding it shuffles things to a virtual screen of a much lower resolution; having the fake screen match the last real resolution wouldn’t be much of a stretch.
No argument there, it would definitely be entirely reasonable for the default screen to match the last attached display and I can't see any way that would break anything. As noted though, this only works around the issue for people who have a defective monitor as their sole display. If this is you, great. I still say the correct answer is to return the broken monitors and replace them with something that doesn't fail at basic concepts like the purpose of presence signals.

edit: It's also worth noting that while this issue is popular in relation to DisplayPort these days thanks to presumably some major display controller vendor getting it wrong, if you go back a while you'll find posts about the same sort of behavior over HDMI links, usually when connecting a TV to a computer. A lot of TVs and AV receivers like to turn off the presence signal when switched to a different input which causes the same sort of behaviors, and in the end you can sometimes bodge around it depending on your exact use case but there is no universal solution other than "get new hardware that doesn't do this".

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 9, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

wolrah posted:

It seems like anything that would ignore short disconnections would cause problems with dumber KVM switches, home theater receivers, output switchers, etc. where the connection is rapidly switched.
Yeah there are a lot of reasons for the default behavior, wasn't suggesting otherwise. I would like something different, or something configurable to be different. Doubt I'll get it, but I'd like it.

quote:

So when one of my clients is asking where their document that was on their second monitor went when they took their laptop home I should just tell them to reboot it?

How often do your clients come in for tech support that's down to obscure registry changes they applied themselves, as a general thing?

Because there are two realistic ways this could be implemented: an unsurfaced registry variable like the virtual screen settings, or an actual robust feature that covered the failure modes, with the win+p UI or "your screen configuration has changed" popups or whatever. You only have people forced to reboot every time they take their laptop home in the maximally stupid case of the user twiddling in the registry then not knowing why their poo poo is busted.

And that's why there's a group policy to disable registry editing.

wolrah posted:

but there is no universal solution other than "get new hardware that doesn't do this".

"use linux"

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hello everyone! Just a quick note to help out the folks who browse by bookmarks. We've started a SH/SC feedback thread and would love it if you stopped by to say hi and let us know what you think.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961558

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Got a kind of weird request/desire: MSPaint on ancient windows, 3.1 I suppose, had a very limited colour palette. If you picked a custom skin tone for example, and paint-bucketed an area or drew with it, it would display as a sand colour with dots of red or whatever dithered to kind of make that colour. Was that a windows thing, or just an old lovely limited monitor thing?

The closest way I know to achieve this effect is just exporting dithered pngs with super limited pallettes, but that's not quite the workflow I'd want to mess with here.

Just hoping it's an old paint thing I could perhaps acquire and use now, if not, if anyone's got any ideas how to fake it with photoshop or something else, that'd be cool too.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Yeah, it was dithering to account for the limited color palette.

Dithering algorithms today will take current color depths into account so you would probably have to do something wholly artificial.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I did a quick google http://danfessler.com/blog/hd-index-painting-in-photoshop I searched for "dithering 8 bit photoshop".

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Khanstant posted:

Got a kind of weird request/desire: MSPaint on ancient windows, 3.1 I suppose, had a very limited colour palette. If you picked a custom skin tone for example, and paint-bucketed an area or drew with it, it would display as a sand colour with dots of red or whatever dithered to kind of make that colour. Was that a windows thing, or just an old lovely limited monitor thing?

The closest way I know to achieve this effect is just exporting dithered pngs with super limited pallettes, but that's not quite the workflow I'd want to mess with here.

Just hoping it's an old paint thing I could perhaps acquire and use now, if not, if anyone's got any ideas how to fake it with photoshop or something else, that'd be cool too.

I had a similar thought recently when looking at videos of Deluxe Paint and Amiga music software. You now have to put some work and or thought into emulating techniques (some arguably timeless) these programs produced naturally.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Get pbrush.exe from Windows NT 3.51 and it should run even on the latest 64 bit Windows 10.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The missing ingredient in those techniques is differing patterns. The old amiga-era programs and their PC equivalents were limited to (I think) 6 pre-defined colours, (RGB + CMY) so you could never be blending 5 shades of blue together. To get more than 2 shades of blue to mix, they then used differing patterns to mix them

Hard to find many examples of what they produce, but in the Corel draw 2 splash screen you can see the same 2 colours mix together in a spotted differ, and then a hash-pattern. There were also star patterns, cross-hatching and others.

If you check the colour palettes at the bottom there, you'll see colours mixed from some of these patterns.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
poo poo dude, that screenshot is jiggling a lot of old neurons. I was a little kid so my memory of it was fuzzy, but my dad taught me coreldraw, a later version at some point, I remember making gifs and webstuff with it, thumbing through this big clipart book, my dad telling me thats where the drawing money was lol. It seems plausible he had an older version on that older work machine and I used that thing too. I do definitely also remember the "paintbrush" program, with the big colour squares.

Rinkles posted:

I had a similar thought recently when looking at videos of Deluxe Paint and Amiga music software. You now have to put some work and or thought into emulating techniques (some arguably timeless) these programs produced naturally.

Yeahh looking at mac paint art is usually what triggers this art desire. I've tried emulating an old mac to run mac paint but i dont think it was working with my tablet monitor or there was something else fundamental I had issues with. Plus I have no attachment to it besides liking how it looks, we had apple ][s at school and those colourful candy ones they did for a while, but I do have a connection with the old windows art side of things.

Looks like PcPaintbrush might actually be able to get the macpaint and old-dithered effects I was wanting to play with.

The hd-index tutorial was interesting too, I like how learning some blender is paying off in all these little random places, like, I 've never used a color-ramp in photoshop before, didn't know it existed before using them a bunch in blender nodes.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Deluxe Paint supported a 32 colour palette arbitrarily assembled from all the colours supported by the Amiga, so you only had to dither if you needed more than that.

Like this example where there's a lot colours spent on skin and fur with some dithering for additional shading and in the background where the eye colours were reused.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Khanstant posted:

poo poo dude, that screenshot is jiggling a lot of old neurons. I was a little kid so my memory of it was fuzzy, but my dad taught me coreldraw, a later version at some point, I remember making gifs and webstuff with it, thumbing through this big clipart book, my dad telling me thats where the drawing money was lol. It seems plausible he had an older version on that older work machine and I used that thing too. I do definitely also remember the "paintbrush" program, with the big colour squares.
Could be KID PIX
It was a pretty big hit in education. I moved around a lot of schools (e: in western Europe) between 90-94 and it seemed they all had this.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

nielsm posted:

Get pbrush.exe from Windows NT 3.51 and it should run even on the latest 64 bit Windows 10.

It absolutely does, but he's not going to achieve the dither effect without reducing colour depth in Windows, which is where the problems start to arise

Edit: here's something funky about the original PBRUSH.EXE, it resizes perfectly to fit the screen, UI elements and all, in a very pleasing smooth manner. It'll fit any screen.
As for performance, seriously, resizing the window on my windows 10 machine is a locked 60 fps, whereas resizing the newer paint on Windows 10 is a choppy mess

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 10, 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Our local hospital has been using Fuji Synapse PACS (archive system for medical images) for ages. The Fuji system opens the images in Internet Explorer so doctors can view them.

After having to upgrade from win7 to win10 there has been problems with the image viewer. Occasionally multi-monitor support breaks, IE starts to hog CPU cycles for no reason, toolbar buttons become non-operable and turn into a black box, IE steals focus instantly from all other apps repeatedly until killed etc.

IT has no idea. The provider who sold the PACS system doesn't give a F. Hospital's PACS support people have no idea.

So far the doctor has been restarting the PC when problems arise. It works for some time until it breaks again.

I realized that by killing all iexplore.exe processes simultaneously and then trying to open the patient's medical images "solves" the problem. On range from stupid to very stupid, how stupid it would be to make some kind of bat, macro or something else which kills all iexplore.exe processes simultaneously and put it as a button to task bar or something?

If the processes are killed one by one from task manager the iexplore processes just keep respawning and problem persists.

We are moving to a new PACS from Sectra in 2 months so the interest to figure out and really solve the problem has beeen zero.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 10, 2021

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Ihmemies posted:

Our local hospital has been using Fuji Synapse PACS (archive system for medical images) for ages. The Fuji system opens the images in Internet Explorer so doctors can view them.

After having to upgrade from win7 to win10 there has been problems with the image viewer. Occasionally multi-monitor support breaks, IE starts to hog CPU cycles for no reason, toolbar buttons become non-operable and turn into a black box, IE steals focus instantly from all other apps repeatedly until killed etc.

IT has no idea. The provider who sold the PACS system doesn't give a F. Hospital's PACS support people have no idea.

So far the doctor has been restarting the PC when problems arise. It works for some time until it breaks again.

I realized that by killing all iexplore.exe processes simultaneously and then trying to open the patient's medical images "solves" the problem. On range from stupid to very stupid, how stupid it would be to make some kind of bat, macro or something else which kills all iexplore.exe processes simultaneously and put it as a button to task bar or something?

If the processes are killed one by one from task manager the iexplore processes just keep respawning and problem persists.

We are moving to a new PACS from Sectra in 2 months so the interest to figure out and really solve the problem has beeen zero.

I believe chromium edge has an IE mode does that fix the process?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
It's not stupid if it works. If you only need to deal with it for a couple of months I'd go the shortcut route.