Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes, modern Windows is a lot better about doing in-place upgrades, and that's essentially what is happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Reading about updates failing/going sideways did bring up one of my own personal bugbears, which is how failing hard drives can cause all sorts of weird issues, including failed updates. Personally, I'd make sure that SMART looked okay on the machines having problems, and run crystaldiskinfo on them before throwing more troubleshooting at them.

I'm not saying this is the likely reason for the problems being described, but it's one of those things that has caused me hours of grief in the past. I've been in the process of purging spinning metal, and I don't think any of my current/active computers have HDDs anymore.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
No that's actually a really good theory because his computer kept crashing like crazy, most likely from a faulty motherboard. And I just realized now the third DISM command failed, probably because of corrupt files due to the computer forcefully shutting down so many times.

I'm currently extracting the install.wim file from a Windows 10 disc to point DISM its way to see if that fixes the issues before going the install media route.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I remember in particular beating my head against the wall on an old laptop for a family member, where it had slowed to poo poo and started failing updates. It didn't throw up errors, and it took me regrettably long to check the HDD and find it was clearly failing, like write errors or pending sectors going through the roof.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I'm gonna have to wipe out a thumb drive for that? That's honestly a huge inconvenience

just FYI if you have thumb drives that are difficult to wipe and restore, you're doing thumb drives wrong

I know we all have sticks from 2006 that still work fine, but the average usb flash drive is a cheap device and when they fail it's with zero warning

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Explorer posted:

Yes, modern Windows is a lot better about doing in-place upgrades, and that's essentially what is happening.

OK so I did this and now it's "installing windows 10".

Is this what it was supposed to do? Is he going to lose anything like saved Chrome data or desktop shortcuts?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

OK so I did this and now it's "installing windows 10".

Is this what it was supposed to do? Is he going to lose anything like saved Chrome data or desktop shortcuts?

You should be fine. You should see an option.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yep, that's fine. It might do what appears to be a first time setup screen once it's done, to confirm new settings or whatever, but if you told it to upgrade and keep your stuff then that's what it will do.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Yep I saw that, thank you. I know that means it will keep my data but I never know if that means hyper personalized stuff like wallpapers and such.

I'm guessing by the fact that it's currently 58% installing that he did not in fact have the latest Windows 10 release? (even though the Windows Update tool claimed he did)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yep I saw that, thank you. I know that means it will keep my data but I never know if that means hyper personalized stuff like wallpapers and such.

I'm guessing by the fact that it's currently 58% installing that he did not in fact have the latest Windows 10 release? (even though the Windows Update tool claimed he did)

It keeps your user folder, so even the hyper-personalized stuff should stay.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Yes, we get it. Welcome to the modern world. None of us greatly enjoy it. It has its pros and cons, what you're describing is a con.

It's also worth noting that he said this computer was an old Win7 upgrade, which means this is like, over ten years old (give or take). If it's been working pretty well for all that time, I think that's a pretty successful mission, all things considered.

Professionals have nightmares managing ten year old Linux servers without careful change management. I don't even think the latest MacOS supports anything older than 2012 without replacing their graphics cards. I'm an IT professional and I don't have a single piece of tech that's been good for that long without any upgrades or anything. Modern computers are complicated machines capable of doing a ton of things, that means sometimes poo poo's gonna break.

I also do tech support for my parents, and about ten years ago I sat them down and had the 'alright, we're gonna flatten and reinstall and you're going to write down the important poo poo first' and we've done that dance a few times since when they busted it. This is essentially what any repair shop is gonna do these days as well, and the new Windows 10 stuff around repair/reset is pretty handy.

That all being said, hope he doesn't have any old rear end software lying around with insane registry keys or some poo poo. That stuff is the worst.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

It keeps your user folder, so even the hyper-personalized stuff should stay.

OTOH for anyone else keeping score on these things, "Reset My PC" will drop a lot of user settings for both the OS & apps even when you choose keep files & apps. It cleans out a lot of the registry.

Definitely a reason to try In-place Upgrade rather than Reset for this type of problem, even though it takes longer.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Thank you. Just so I know I got this right, I am "upgrading" even though I am not really upgrading?

Yep, that’s how Windows will hopefully fix the problem.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's not like this system was suddenly connected to the internet. It's been getting updates all this time.

MS hosed up their poo poo, don't QA their own stuff. It broke poo poo, so now I got to do their job for them

Microsoft QA, even if it were still running, likely wouldn't catch whatever it is you're seeing. A ten year old upgrade installation is a ridiculous number of variables, and even back in the Win8 days the general advice for upgrade installation problems was 'flatten and clean install' because upgrade installs simply had problems clean installs didn't get. Nobody else here has seen anything remotely like what you are seeing (except redeyes who unironically cripples his installations and posts about it in this thread).

People like to poo poo on MS for not having enough QA but this is one of those situations where it's like, how do you test it? How many images are you supposed to be running to capture the scope of what happened over ten years? How many hardware configurations are you supposed to have in case the root cause was one update being applied or skipped years back? How much do you 'use' these images to simulate changes an end user would have made during those years? How many man hours are you willing to devote to tracing an issue that happens to one in a hundred thousand machines with no clear cause but is gone on a clean install?

I'll give MS poo poo for not having a QA team to catch obvious usability problems when rolling out new features but backwards compatibility is a problem titanic in scale and they're doing better than I would have expected in that regard.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Do programs use something by Windows when they remember where to put the window when launched or is it always custom built?
I'm really annoyed how few days ago Spotify stopped remembering to put the window in the corner I like and instead launches in the centre of the screen every time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sininu posted:

Do programs use something by Windows when they remember where to put the window when launched or is it always custom built?
I'm really annoyed how few days ago Spotify stopped remembering to put the window in the corner I like and instead launches in the centre of the screen every time.

I dunno but I wish Emulsion would start maximized instead of 40 pixels down from the top of the screen, what the hell.

e: oh there's a fullscreen option, that's..something at least

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 15, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sininu posted:

This is always internal to the program in Win32 apps, and in UWP always by the OS. What's the spotify app, it's from the MS store right? I think it's a UWP app.

If it's UWP you can do Settings -> Apps & Features -> find Spotify in the list -> Advanced Options -> Reset. That will clear all data for the app which means you'll have to log in again, but with spotify all your playlists and poo poo should be in their servers.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I dunno but I wish Emulsion would start maximized instead of 40 pixels down from the top of the screen, what the hell.

e: oh there's a fullscreen option, that's..something at least

Make a shortcut to it, in shortcut properties set Run: "Maximized"?

But some programs don't take that.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Klyith posted:

This is always internal to the program in Win32 apps, and in UWP always by the OS. What's the spotify app, it's from the MS store right? I think it's a UWP app.

If it's UWP you can do Settings -> Apps & Features -> find Spotify in the list -> Advanced Options -> Reset. That will clear all data for the app which means you'll have to log in again, but with spotify all your playlists and poo poo should be in their servers.

It's not from MS store. Guess I can blame Spotify then.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

nitsuga posted:

Yep, that’s how Windows will hopefully fix the problem.

Thanks. Interestingly the "upgrade" is done, but I just checked for updates and it's finding new updates. No clue how that's possible as I downloaded the Windows Media Creation tool yesterday. I assumed it already had all the updates.

That being said however it completely fixed the update issue. I couldn't get the DISM commands to work to save my life (I even tried using a genuine Windows 10 disc to fix it) but whatever this "upgrade" did using the media creation tool totally fixed it. I just searched for the latest updates about an hour ago. It found them, downloaded them, and installed them. Which it absolutely couldn't do before this.

This is why I love this thread, because I checked 30 different "fixes" for this issue and none of them recommended the Media Creation Tool. It was all registry fuckery and DISM commands and the like and it did absolutely nothing.

Thanks so much for all the help. This 2005-Era PC is spinning like a top.

Current specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core 3800+ @ 2ghz

4gb of ram (2.94 usable)

Samsung Evo 860

Nvidia GeForce 6100 nforce 405

And I swear to God it runs Windows 10 absolutely fine! That's crazy!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Thanks. Interestingly the "upgrade" is done, but I just checked for updates and it's finding new updates. No clue how that's possible as I downloaded the Windows Media Creation tool yesterday. I assumed it already had all the updates.

Nah the MCT is just the most recent major version, ie like 1909 or 20H2.

IIRC they might have updated the MCT image mid-cycle to patch the security hole that WannaCry used back in 2017, but that was like a top 10 all-time vulnerability situation.

Sininu posted:

It's not from MS store. Guess I can blame Spotify then.

Googling it, it seems that the windows app directly from spotify is also UWP? So you could look into the reset thing.

But also it seems like a lot of people hate it and recommend Xpo or other stuff. I dunno, I don't do spotify.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Klyith posted:

Googling it, it seems that the windows app directly from spotify is also UWP? So you could look into the reset thing.

But also it seems like a lot of people hate it and recommend Xpo or other stuff. I dunno, I don't do spotify.

Nope, it's Win32. I've had this issue happen with Spotify twice before. It always takes them like a month to fix.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 15, 2021

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Not sure if this is the right thread, but:

Is there an easy way to open 4 VLC player windows and have them be in a specific arrangement without needing to manually position them every time?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Ambaire posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but:

Is there an easy way to open 4 VLC player windows and have them be in a specific arrangement without needing to manually position them every time?

https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/comments/jpduqk/in_windows_10_this_is_how_you_can_launch_and/ This looks to be doing essentially the same thing, but with WoW instead of VLC. Uses a program called cmdow.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Klyith posted:

Make a shortcut to it, in shortcut properties set Run: "Maximized"?

But some programs don't take that.

I only run it by opening images so I don't think that'd help. There's seemingly window positioning stuff in the configuration too so maybe I can finangle that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Klyith posted:

The application's based on Chromium Embedded. Practically Electron if you squint your eyes.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Sininu posted:

Nope, it's Win32. I've had this issue happen with Spotify twice before. It always takes them like a month to fix.

Figured out a workaround. I think they never fixed it after all, there are reports of this happening from 2015 onwards.
I had to snap the window to the side and then resize it, instead of positioning and resizing it when it was in the middle of the screen. After doing that it remembers the position again.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

doctorfrog posted:

I have no evidence for this other than my own cynicism, but I'd bet someone else's money that
a) blue light does disrupt circadian rhythms
b) so does just looking at a screen
c) the only real way to fix it is to have less screen time
d) the apps and glasses and stuff are just ways to keep people using screens
e) other cigarettes cause cancer. Lucky Strikes are toasted

Everyone knows Camels 🐪 have less tar, though.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Falcon2001 posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/comments/jpduqk/in_windows_10_this_is_how_you_can_launch_and/ This looks to be doing essentially the same thing, but with WoW instead of VLC. Uses a program called cmdow.

Finally got around to testing that and it worked great. I now understand why programmers write scripts to automate simple repetitive tasks.

My antivirus HATED the program for some reason; wouldn't let me download it nor extract the zip until I paused it for the process.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Ever since I updated from 1909 to 20H2 my internet has been behaving weirdly.
It's like a dam: sometimes the dam closes causing websites to not load and the browser to just wait, and sometimes it opens and everything loads normally.
What's weirder is that previously I updated from 1909 to 2004 and had the same problem. Rolling back to 1909 fixed it.

What changed between updates that caused this curse? I already tried disabling ipv6, changing DNS and deleting network drivers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You mention deleting network drivers, but not specifically making sure they were up to date. Have you tried checking to see if there were new drivers in Windows Update / Microsoft Catalog or from the vendor? Wired or wireless? Which browser? Does it happen in multiple browsers? Any browsers without extensions? What DNS have you tried?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

You mention deleting network drivers, but not specifically making sure they were up to date. Have you tried checking to see if there were new drivers in Windows Update / Microsoft Catalog or from the vendor? Wired or wireless? Which browser? Does it happen in multiple browsers? Any browsers without extensions? What DNS have you tried?

My bad, I updated the drivers before trying to delete and let Windows get new ones.
Wired ethernet, problem still manifests itself in Edge (I mainly use Firefox) and it interferes with games and other software as well. I.e: Forza Horizon 4 gets an extra long loading screen while it struggles to establish a connection.
As for DNS, I tried the usual Internet Provider DNS, 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 and 1.1.1.1/1.1.0.0.

There are other devices connected to the same newtork, wired and wireless, and they are fine. Including a different up-to-date Windows 10 Home PC.

In this rig I'm on Windows 10 Pro, and my mobo is a Biostar x370gtn.

e: Just retested Edge now and it seems to be working fine. Maybe it's a Firefox-specific issue.

Stink Terios fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 16, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

No worries! I guess to answer your actual question, there's nothing that I know of that would introduce weird network issues in those versions of Windows. I think you're probably looking at a compatibility issue most likely.

I'd double check to see if you can find drivers from the vendor to see if those help any. Are you running any special mobo software that might be playing with the NIC, and if so, can you try uninstalling those? Might also be worth checking for BIOS/chipset/firmware updates.

Do you have a wireless adapter you could try, just to rule out it being a NIC-specific issue? Tried new ethernet cables yet?

What happens if you do a continuous ping (ping -t) to your router and to something on the internet? Do you see packets dropping to both when it happens?

Some of these logging places might be worth looking at to see if you can see anything that talks about connects/disconnects - https://superuser.com/questions/1031263/how-to-check-the-event-log-if-any-for-network-failure

Stink Terios posted:

e: Just retested Edge now and it seems to be working fine. Maybe it's a Firefox-specific issue.

Yeah, it kinda sounds from your description like something I've seen with the browser cache acting strange. Try to see if you can replicate it in private browsing mode maybe?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Firefox DNS over HTTPS was enabled. :cripes:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
edit: welp, disregard!

Stink Terios posted:

There are other devices connected to the same newtork, wired and wireless, and they are fine. Including a different up-to-date Windows 10 Home PC.

Are those used as heavily / at the same time as the problem PC? (Like, the other PC belongs to someone else in the household and you can ask them if they're having the same problem at the same time?) If it's an intermittent issue, it's very easy to get the impression that only one device is at fault when that's the device you use most.

For a completely different line of troubleshooting, your cable modem (or whatever) probably has a diagnostic page. Ex for the ever-popular surfboard lineup, you go to http://192.168.100.1/ with admin/admin to see it. Look at the advanced status including upstream & downstream power -- check here and here for interpretation. If power or signal levels are lovely, that can cause drops at the modem level. Then if a hard power cycle of the modem doesn't fix it, call the cable company.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Stink Terios posted:

Love it! Glad you found it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Stink Terios posted:

Huh, I've been using that for months without an issue. I did also change my router to use Cloudflare's DNS, so I'm not sure if that plays a role.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ambaire posted:

Finally got around to testing that and it worked great. I now understand why programmers write scripts to automate simple repetitive tasks.

My antivirus HATED the program for some reason; wouldn't let me download it nor extract the zip until I paused it for the process.

Microsoft is absolutely convinced the DSi hack I downloaded from github is an extremely serious virus threat. It took a good twenty minutes before I was able to use it. It's a download from github that hundreds of thousands of other people use 🤷‍♂️

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Ambaire posted:

Yeah on the page for it he talks about this, because of the behavior the tool has it triggers heuristics.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Cool, just wasted over 4 hours on this. Tried updating using the Windows update assistant.
No dice. So I used t be Media creation tool.

It STILL breaks poo poo and locks the PC into airplane mode .

Before, you input a password to log into an account. My grandfather and grandmother both have their own accounts. This one does not now. Hit “sign in” and it just tries to do its thing, which it can’t because it’s hosed and in airplane mode.

I really don’t know what to do now. I’m open to suggestions before I start googling Nuclear options for stripping out the Windows update service.

I just need this to work until I build them a new one. It’s worked just drat fine for years, it’ll work just drat fine for a bit longer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Johnny Aztec posted:

I really don’t know what to do now. I’m open to suggestions before I start googling Nuclear options for stripping out the Windows update service.

I just need this to work until I build them a new one. It’s worked just drat fine for years, it’ll work just drat fine for a bit longer

This is a shot in the dark, but if memory serves the only Internet available is WiFi, right?

Do you have a USB wireless stick you could use?

My Mom's surface recently had some annoying glitches which turned out to be Intel loving up their networking drivers, and the hardware just disappeared from Windows. I have no idea if this might be a factor, but if Windows updates and Intel's drivers poo poo the bed, then maybe it defaults to some kind of half-assed login state? Disabling the onboard wireless and trying the whole process with a completely different Wifi adapter would be something to try, at least.

Creating another account on the machine prior to updating, some new user with admin rights, would also be a good step if not done already.