Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Segmentation Fault posted:

I run a small computer repair shop, and honestly? I want people on Windows 10 too. It's gonna make my life so much easier when everyone's on it.
That has little to do with that ridiculous dialog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN’T HELP BUT EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON’T LISTEN TO ME.
For the "I use .. erm .. Windoes?" demographic, this is basically the only way they will ever upgrade their OS.
Anyone more competent can just, I dunno, press no?

Not quite sure on the pushback on making upgrades easier, or the option to do so more apparent.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Oh yeah, one other thing: Assigned Access has been gutted and is completely worthless. You can no longer use browsers as the targeted app, so having that easy setup for kiosks is now gone until they either fix it or provide an alternative.

I learned recently how much of a pain in the rear end setting up IE11 kiosk mode is in comparison.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Khablam posted:

For the "I use .. erm .. Windoes?" demographic, this is basically the only way they will ever upgrade their OS.
Anyone more competent can just, I dunno, press no?

Have you actually tried that? It really won't take no for an answer.

Also the compatibility reports need to be taken with a huge grain of salt - on every laptop I've upgraded something hasn't worked correctly.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
Is there some sort of issue that wont let the Kindle app login with the new two factor authentication that Amazon has going on now? I can log in to the website and whatnot, but anytime I try and log in to the windows 10 app it says invalid username/password combination.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Is this some kind of Windows 10 N bullshit where my computer refuses to show file thumbnails instead of generic icons no matter how many times I toggle the options for them to show up? Every time I restart, it's toggled back off. Is there some registry value that I can change to keep this on (and also make it actually work because checking the boxes in file explorer settings doesn't actually fix the problem)?

e: nevermind, it seems the specific problem I had (videos) dealt more with me switching codec packs.

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 14, 2015

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

hooah posted:

I feel like Dropbox notifications keep turning themselves back on. Is there a way to say "really, shut the gently caress up, Dropbox" without completely disabling the Notification Center?
I had to find my IRC client's actual preferences for notifications to stop alerts at the source because it would reset or ignore the Notification Center app-specific settings every time.

bustercasey
Apr 9, 2012
Gary’s Answer
I just finished putting together a low budget gaming pc for a friend, using parts I had lying around and some new ones. I upgraded from an amd setup, with the new parts being the cpu, mobo and psu. I assumed I'd have trouble with reinstalling the windows 7 ultimate that was on the amd setup, being an oem version. When I put it all together and powered it up, I missed the prompt for getting into bios, but it just booted right into win7 no problem. So, I got all the drivers swapped out for the mobo and installed the gpu's drivers and then was going to make the update to win10. I had used a keyfinder to get the win7 ultimate key off the amd/asus setup and checked with MS to make sure it was authentic. But when I tried upgrading to win10 with the update, it failed. So, I made a usb win 10 bootdrive, assuming it was the different mobo causing the issue. (I was pretty sure I read you could just use the 7/8 keys to fresh install 10) When I tried using the key to install, it said it wasn't usable and then booted back into win 7, now giving me a message that I don't have an authentic key attached. I was going to migrate to a nicer ssd once I had all this done, but I'm just going to try another fresh install on it once I get it. I have heard people using oem keys for reinstalling widows and those programs that pull the keys, but I'm doing something wrong obviously. I'm not wild about paying another ~$90 for a win10 key. Is there anything I can do to make this work? tia anyone who can let me know how I'm making GBS threads this up.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

There are Win 7 Pro OEM keys available on Ebay for $10.

bustercasey
Apr 9, 2012
Gary’s Answer

Potato Salad posted:

There are Win 7 Pro OEM keys available on Ebay for $10.

Are those reliable? And am I able to use them to install win10? Or do I have to install 7 and follow the upgrade?

e: Reading more into the oem key deal. Seems like I have to call and go through some activation process. I'll just try with mine, and if that's disabled/whatever, I'll try with an ebay key. Thank you.

bustercasey fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 15, 2015

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN’T HELP BUT EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON’T LISTEN TO ME.
The call process takes about 5 minutes and it's free and painless. The source for most of those eBay keys is stickers from dumped hardware, inspired by this I grabbed an OEM key from some old office hardware and upgraded myself from home to pro effortlessly.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I decided to create a Microsoft Account for my first Windows 10 device.

A day later and they're literally spamming me. No unsubscribe option in the email - which I'm pretty sure is against EU regulations - and no easily-found site option to unsubscribe either. The Microsoft Experience.

I sure want "helpful tips" for "things I can do with my device" and "useful products". :commissar:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

endlessmonotony posted:

I decided to create a Microsoft Account for my first Windows 10 device.

A day later and they're literally spamming me. No unsubscribe option in the email - which I'm pretty sure is against EU regulations - and no easily-found site option to unsubscribe either. The Microsoft Experience.

I sure want "helpful tips" for "things I can do with my device" and "useful products". :commissar:
I've got a couple of Microsoft Accounts/Outlook/Hotmail addresses and in the last ten years or so I've got maybe five mails from them, mostly about updated EULA stuff. I wouldn't rage just yet over a couple of "welcome to our services" mails a day after signing up.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pandaK posted:

Is this some kind of Windows 10 N bullshit where my computer refuses to show file thumbnails instead of generic icons no matter how many times I toggle the options for them to show up? Every time I restart, it's toggled back off. Is there some registry value that I can change to keep this on (and also make it actually work because checking the boxes in file explorer settings doesn't actually fix the problem)?

e: nevermind, it seems the specific problem I had (videos) dealt more with me switching codec packs.

Any particular reason you're running the N version?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I have a windows 7 key I want to use with windows 10. I installed windows 10 with an older install image (before 1511) and didn't enter a key, and then used windows update to update it to 1511. But when I go in to the control panel, it won't accept the windows 7 key.

Is the only way to use a windows 7 key to enter it at install time with 1511 install media?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Stanley Pain posted:

Any particular reason you're running the N version?

It was cheaper and I never use the first party players so I thought it would be worth it. In retrospect, it isn't, since my Firefox still refuses to recognize media formats even after installing the Windows media package.

pandaK posted:

I have a copy of Windows 10 N which I've installed both versions of Windows Media Features Package on, and yet Firefox still cannot render h264 videos properly. Is there some additional step I need to take to get it working?

e: I've managed to at least enable the other quality options on youtube (480p-1080p, before I could only see 360p) by toggling media.fragmented-mp4.ffmpeg.enabled to true, but videos on the old flash player just send me errors. Firefox still doesn't seem to be hooked properly to the proper media features installed on my computer as it errors out when I try to listen to a podcast mp3 in browser.

EE: Could the issue be that I don't actually have Windows Media Player installed? I noticed that wasn't actually installed when I got the media features package.

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 16, 2015

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

pandaK posted:

Does the Enterprise edition of Windows 10 affect gaming at all? It's probably not a huge thing, but I recall certain server based windows installs in the past resulting in an extra few frames delay in gaming because of different compositing and poo poo like that.

It's been fine so far. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

DuckConference posted:

I have a windows 7 key I want to use with windows 10. I installed windows 10 with an older install image (before 1511) and didn't enter a key, and then used windows update to update it to 1511. But when I go in to the control panel, it won't accept the windows 7 key.

Is the only way to use a windows 7 key to enter it at install time with 1511 install media?

If you're doing an installation from scratch, then yes. However, you can install Windows 7, activate it, upgrade it to Windows 10, then install Windows 10 from scratch. The scratch install of 10 that way will recognize your license.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

wolrah posted:

You're thinking of the 64 bit variants of Windows XP, which were more closely related to Server 2003 than normal Windows XP. I'm pretty sure that was because both the original Itanium version and the later AMD64 version weren't designed for normal end users but instead for those using serious workstations where gaming performance was not a priority but the server edition license model didn't make sense. It was a stopgap solution for a niche market and Longhorn was supposed to be coming out "soon" to do it properly.

Actually, if you go all the way back, Windows NT Server used to have a different process scheduling algorithm tuned for server workloads that didn't work as well with interactive apps. Not sure if that's still true, but probably not.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pandaK posted:

EE: Could the issue be that I don't actually have Windows Media Player installed? I noticed that wasn't actually installed when I got the media features package.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some codecs that come with WMP. Try installing FFDSHOW and set it up so that all video/audio processing goes through it and then see if Firefox still has that issue. Does Chrome or any other browser have the same problem?

Maybe even install a full 3rd part media player (Bomi, WMP-Classic or Home Cinema Edition, etc) and associate all the various media types to them and see if that clears things up.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Stanley Pain posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some codecs that come with WMP. Try installing FFDSHOW and set it up so that all video/audio processing goes through it and then see if Firefox still has that issue. Does Chrome or any other browser have the same problem?

Maybe even install a full 3rd part media player (Bomi, WMP-Classic or Home Cinema Edition, etc) and associate all the various media types to them and see if that clears things up.

On second inspection, it seems that Chrome is the only browser that can play all kinds of media; Firefox and Edge both don't recognize h264, mp3s, and whatever.

Is FFDShow something like K-Lite/KCP? Because I have KCP with MPC installed, would installed FFDShow interfere with those?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

pandaK posted:

On second inspection, it seems that Chrome is the only browser that can play all kinds of media; Firefox and Edge both don't recognize h264, mp3s, and whatever.

Is FFDShow something like K-Lite/KCP? Because I have KCP with MPC installed, would installed FFDShow interfere with those?

Firefox uses system decoders for those codecs. Edge probably does as well. Chrome provides its own. You have a system codec problem.

If you want to verify this, try using a Chromium open source build. MP3 and H.264 are left out of Chromium.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Is there an easy way to look up patch notes for apps that recently updated besides typing the app into search one at a time

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My app store hasn't worked in months, apps don't work either, and other stuff like file search, the start menu, icons, just stop and start working at random. Apps don't even show up properly on the menu. Is there some kind of fix for this stuff? A reliable guide? I googled and tried some things but it hosed poo poo up really bad and I had to do a system restore.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

pandaK posted:

e: I've managed to at least enable the other quality options on youtube (480p-1080p, before I could only see 360p) by toggling media.fragmented-mp4.ffmpeg.enabled to true, but videos on the old flash player just send me errors. Firefox still doesn't seem to be hooked properly to the proper media features installed on my computer as it errors out when I try to listen to a podcast mp3 in browser.

Hey my man, I had the same troubles esp. with Firefox only doing 480p or whatever.

Just get this and you're good: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48231

If you haven't nuked everything and gone back.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

wormil posted:

My app store hasn't worked in months, apps don't work either, and other stuff like file search, the start menu, icons, just stop and start working at random. Apps don't even show up properly on the menu. Is there some kind of fix for this stuff? A reliable guide? I googled and tried some things but it f'd s- up really bad and I had to do a system restore.

This recently happened to me but I pressed paused on the diagnostics. Hit the ? icon next to my post here to see what you can try (or don't bother trying because it doesn't work).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

wormil posted:

My app store hasn't worked in months, apps don't work either, and other stuff like file search, the start menu, icons, just stop and start working at random. Apps don't even show up properly on the menu. Is there some kind of fix for this stuff? A reliable guide? I googled and tried some things but it hosed poo poo up really bad and I had to do a system restore.

For me I nuked my profile and created a new one. Not ideal but it worked. I've opened a case about this with MS a while ago, I'll let you know how it goes.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I recently (last weekend) downloaded what I assume is the latest version of the Media Creation Tool to set up a USB device in order to install Windows 10.

I am currently running Windows 8.1 Pro. The Media Creation Tool however only offered to download and prepare Windows 10 or Windows 10N – and no option to get Windows 10 Pro.

Is there a dedicated Media Creation Tool for the Pro version?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

feedmegin posted:

Actually, if you go all the way back, Windows NT Server used to have a different process scheduling algorithm tuned for server workloads that didn't work as well with interactive apps. Not sure if that's still true, but probably not.

Regardless, there's no scheduling differences among home/pro/enterprise editions of Windows 10. They are functionally identical with the only differences being in features and licensing.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

mcbexx posted:

I recently (last weekend) downloaded what I assume is the latest version of the Media Creation Tool to set up a USB device in order to install Windows 10.

I am currently running Windows 8.1 Pro. The Media Creation Tool however only offered to download and prepare Windows 10 or Windows 10N – and no option to get Windows 10 Pro.

Is there a dedicated Media Creation Tool for the Pro version?

It'll give you the pro version when you select Windows 10 and upgrade with it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Jeoh posted:

For me I nuked my profile and created a new one. Not ideal but it worked. I've opened a case about this with MS a while ago, I'll let you know how it goes.

Hmm, seems drastic but if that's what it takes.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

wormil posted:

That happened to me and I ended up doing a reset after none of the things I found online did anything (or made the problem worse).

In other news, is there any way to keep things like Get Office and Skype Video and the Solitaire Collection from coming back after seemingly every update? I think I've uninstalled them six or seven times so far.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Magnus Praeda posted:

In other news, is there any way to keep things like Get Office and Skype Video and the Solitaire Collection from coming back after seemingly every update? I think I've uninstalled them six or seven times so far.

Wish I loving knew this too. I still get Candy Crush every time on my domain joined Windows 10 PC whenever a new user logs in.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Did you try doing "Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage –online" in powershell? This removes provisioned apps that install on new logins (maybe updates?).

Don't do this as it will remove ALL provisioned apps. Unless that is what you want.

Edit: Keep in mind you can remove apps from your profile using just Get-AppxPackage *packagename* | Remove-AppxPackage. I haven't tried it recently but I am sure Get-AppXProvisionedPackage accepts *search criteria* also.

For Get Office and Skype use *officehub* and *skypeapp* respectively.

Edit 2: If you type Get-AppXProvisionedPackages -online *candycrush* it should show you if that is an installed and provisioned app. If so then just add | Remove-AppXProvisionedPackage -online. -online is required to complete the command for the PC you are currently using.

Edit 3: Comedy option - use Win 10 Ent LTSB

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 17, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Don't do this as it will remove ALL provisioned apps.

Makes sense.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
Hey, I just got a new keyboard for my desktop. For some reason, when it's plugged in via PS/2, the Windows log on screen doesn't recognize the keyboard until I unplug it and plug it back in.

Otherwise, it works fine with no interruption, but it seems pretty silly to have to unplug/replug my keyboard after each restart.

USB doesn't present this issue.

e: Never mind, I entered my bios once and now it just magically works.

Phoenixan fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 18, 2015

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Phoenixan posted:

Hey, I just got a new keyboard for my desktop. For some reason, when it's plugged in via PS/2, the Windows log on screen doesn't recognize the keyboard until I unplug it and plug it back in.

Otherwise, it works fine with no interruption, but it seems pretty silly to have to unplug/replug my keyboard after each restart.

USB doesn't present this issue.

e: Never mind, I entered my bios once and now it just magically works.

What? "New" and "PS/2" don't really jive right? I haven't seen a computer with a ps/2 port in over a decade and I'm an IT guy, I see a lot of computers. Why would you choose that over usb (serious question, not trying to be a jerk).

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Gerdalti posted:

What? "New" and "PS/2" don't really jive right? I haven't seen a computer with a ps/2 port in over a decade and I'm an IT guy, I see a lot of computers. Why would you choose that over usb (serious question, not trying to be a jerk).

It's possible he wants true n-key rollover or stupidly good durability? I'm using a PS/2 keyboard to type this, but it's also 26 years old...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The bare minimum USB HID keyboard standard supports six key rollover plus a few modifiers. It can be used with more, but certain lovely BIOS implementations don't support keyboards implementing anything beyond that, a subset of those apparently won't even boot properly with a more advanced keyboard attached. Some also don't handle higher than standard update rates very well.

Because of this a lot of keyboards either don't implement anything beyond 6KRO or default to a minimal mode until they receive some magic command from the vendor's software. Some of the more interesting implementations appear to the system as more than one keyboard and just send multiple standard 6 key max updates. This has led to a widespread incorrect belief that standard USB keyboards can't support more than six key rollover or higher sampling rates, and that you need drivers to support the keyboard operating in a non-standard mode to do either.

PS/2 is just a simple serial protocol where codes are sent indicating key down and key up, so it has no theoretical limit for how many keys can register as pressed simultaneously. This is also why you could sometimes have a situation where something in the computer derped and dropped a "key up" message, resulting in that letter being spammed until you hit it again.

tl;dr: More likely than not a misinformed gamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
My ASUS motherboard had PS/2, and I have either a USB cable or a PS/2 cable to plug in, so "why not?" really was my line of thought.

I just thought it was weird that the Windows logon screen wouldn't respond (though it works now).