Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Khablam posted:

At a basic logical level, by using a tool like that you're essentially saying you've evaluated all the evidence, and have concluded poster "10se1ucgo" is a better arbiter of your privacy than Microsoft. Why then would you trust Microsoft at any level, and run their closed source OS?

I don't subscribe to the logic that using an OS you think is literally spying on you for gain (re: current Win10 hysteria) is made safe by flipping some booleans from "spy" to "no I totes will not" would be a good idea.
I'm saying if you think that tool essential, you should also conclude that the OS itself can't ever be trusted.

I think the hysteria is dumb and lots of people are trying to whip it up for clicks or to sell tools.

A lot of folks are less concerned with Microsoft's honesty than with their anonymization or their discretion w/r/t sharing the data.

There's a lot of clickbait bullshit, yeah, but I don't think that's completely relevant to that particular tool or it being posted in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

spanko posted:

Am I not finding the option or is there no way to setup automatic system image backups to an external (USB) drive in Windows 10? I do a manual backups for myself but this is for a paranoid person who is bad at computers. If this isn't possible in Windows 10 can anyone recommend a free or cheap, easy to use backup to external drive solution? It needs to be a full system image backup and automatic/scheduled.
I have a test install of Veeam Endpoint Backup on one of my systems and it seems to be alright. Most free products don't do the incremental/differential thing and thus waste an inordinate amount of disk space if you want to keep several days worth of backups. Plus time backing up. Veeam does about 2GB a day in 30 min or so (in the background), which seems all very reasonable to me.

Still haven't done a bare metal restore myself though, but it is made for that. Pulled out the odd individual file, which seemed to work great.

They want an email address from you before you can download the installer, so they can upsell you corporate backup solutions. You can however unsubscribe from the mails and they seem to respect that.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

spanko posted:

Am I not finding the option or is there no way to setup automatic system image backups to an external (USB) drive in Windows 10? I do a manual backups for myself but this is for a paranoid person who is bad at computers. If this isn't possible in Windows 10 can anyone recommend a free or cheap, easy to use backup to external drive solution? It needs to be a full system image backup and automatic/scheduled.

If you actually just want to use the Win 7 tool, you can find 'backup & restore (Windows 7)' in the control panel. It allows scheduling, and can include system images.
Macrium reflect is the default recommendation, though incremental backups are a paid feature. Differential are free though, if you can live with that.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

wbadmin should also still be included, you could make it a scheduled task.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Flipperwaldt posted:

They want an email address from you before you can download the installer, so they can upsell you corporate backup solutions. You can however unsubscribe from the mails and they seem to respect that.

They also accept Mailinator disposable addresses if you want to be sure.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

spanko posted:

Try Macrium Reflect Free.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The free version of crashplan can do that, and then if they ever want to pay for cloud backup in the future it'd be nice and easy

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

The free version of crashplan can do that, and then if they ever want to pay for cloud backup in the future it'd be nice and easy

Crashplan is superb, but doesn't disk image.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ah yes, didn't see that bit

He should probably get it anyway

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There were updates ready to be installed last night as I was shutting my laptop down last night, 1/27. Honesty, I wasn't really paying attention to what it was. Today my laptop is running a bit slower, and the cooling fan is working way more than it was previously even if I'm not doing anything. Has anyone else experienced anything of the sort?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Safety Scissors posted:

There were updates ready to be installed last night as I was shutting my laptop down last night, 1/27. Honesty, I wasn't really paying attention to what it was. Today my laptop is running a bit slower, and the cooling fan is working way more than it was previously even if I'm not doing anything. Has anyone else experienced anything of the sort?

Run task manager and see whats going on. Guessing isn't really useful

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redeyes posted:

Run task manager and see whats going on. Guessing isn't really useful

I actually can't run task manager, I get a black screen with nothing when I control alt delete. I tried rolling the computer back, but when I run settings, the window never pops up and I just get a loading icon instead of a mouse on the left third of my monitor. This makes me incapable of clicking on anything in that area. Additionally, the start menu stops functioning, even if I hit control escape. At this point I just have to shut the computer down manually to get it to work normally again.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Can you use ctrl+shift+esc to bring up the task manager directly?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Safety Scissors posted:

I actually can't run task manager, I get a black screen with nothing when I control alt delete. I tried rolling the computer back, but when I run settings, the window never pops up and I just get a loading icon instead of a mouse on the left third of my monitor. This makes me incapable of clicking on anything in that area. Additionally, the start menu stops functioning, even if I hit control escape. At this point I just have to shut the computer down manually to get it to work normally again.

Not too good. The windows install might be borked. Fortunately you can do a repair install right over the top with say Threshhold 2 and it fixes stuff like that. You can also try a system restore.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

hooah posted:

Can you use ctrl+shift+esc to bring up the task manager directly?

Yeah one of the svchosts (DCOM server process launcher) is taking up like 30 to 35% of my cpu cycles.

redeyes posted:

Not too good. The windows install might be borked. Fortunately you can do a repair install right over the top with say Threshhold 2 and it fixes stuff like that. You can also try a system restore.

Tried system restore, but it just went black after a bit and didn't do anything. Didn't make things worse as far as I can tell at least. I'll look into this threshhold thing.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Tried another restore point, and it worked. I haven't really checked how the system is running in comparison yet, but I ran sfc /scannow in the command prompt and it didn't find any errors, so I think I should be good.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Really hoping this is the thread for this question.

Is there a way to save emails on Outlook 2016, so they won't get deleted off of my computer when I delete them from whichever cache they came from? Used to be Outlook would save them automatically, but apparently that's not the case anymore for some dumbass reason. :wtc:

This got lost on the last page. If there's a better thread for it, please let me know.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This got lost on the last page. If there's a better thread for it, please let me know.

This thread is pretty much only about Windows 10 the operating system, and not the software running on it.

But uh I'm not sure I even understand the question. What do you mean by "cache" in here? Do you mean a server message store like Exchange, IMAP or otherwise, where you or the provider removes messages from on a schedule?
You could set up a rule to copy messages to a local PST data file?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

nielsm posted:

This thread is pretty much only about Windows 10 the operating system, and not the software running on it.

But uh I'm not sure I even understand the question. What do you mean by "cache" in here? Do you mean a server message store like Exchange, IMAP or otherwise, where you or the provider removes messages from on a schedule?
You could set up a rule to copy messages to a local PST data file?

Sounds to me like he wants mail to stay on the server even after being deleted on the client side. Which you can do on pop3, but can't with exchange AFAIK.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I want the mail to stay on my computer after being deleted from the place it comes from. Like for example, a gmail or Yahoo account.

EDIT: I moved the question to the Software thread.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 29, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I want the mail to stay on my computer after being deleted from the place it comes from. Like for example, a gmail or Yahoo account.

EDIT: I moved the question to the Software thread.

Yep then you just need an inbox rule that copies new messages to a local PST file.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

how do i get rid of this auto-flight-awway mode thing. i'm using a desktop.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I uhh..almost want to say that's some vendor software and not something that came from Microsoft. But I could be wrong.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I uhh..almost want to say that's some vendor software and not something that came from Microsoft. But I could be wrong.

thanks for the pointer, i found out it's an asus motherboard thing

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah, it's definitely not something that comes with Windows normally. Clicking on the Action Center (the speech bubble icon) will bring up all of those controls and more!

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

If you click on the little triangle it disappears back into the edge of the screen until you hover your mouse over it. It looks a lot like the software that came with my asus motherboard.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How long does Windows 10 last without activating? Is it just disabling the personalization features or will it eventually time out?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Combat Pretzel posted:

How long does Windows 10 last without activating? Is it just disabling the personalization features or will it eventually time out?

If you mean a fresh install without a license, same as 7 and 8.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Wow,very neat of the Windows 10 installer to mirror everything to a connected external display (if started from inside Windows, that is), which made it possible to install it on an old laptop with a broken screen.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I heard on this thread about how major updates ("service packs") are actually installed by a full system reinstall, with a new Windows folder. I always figured I'd get one of those sooner or later, but it's been a while since I last saw it mentioned and it never happened to me. I do get regular Windows Updates regularly, but I'm wondering if I'm somehow out of date? Can I check build version without being on Insider builds?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jan posted:

I heard on this thread about how major updates ("service packs") are actually installed by a full system reinstall, with a new Windows folder. I always figured I'd get one of those sooner or later, but it's been a while since I last saw it mentioned and it never happened to me. I do get regular Windows Updates regularly, but I'm wondering if I'm somehow out of date? Can I check build version without being on Insider builds?

Simply open the command prompt:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

fishmech posted:

Simply open the command prompt:

Oh, derp.

I'm on 10.0.10240. Apparently this is what Defer Upgrades does, rather than let you choose when to install updates as I'd previously read. Guess I'll untick that option whenever I have the time to deal with this.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Or winver.exe, the app that exists to tell you what version of windows you're running.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Or systeminfo, if you really want to know what updates you've installed.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Jan posted:

Oh, derp.

I'm on 10.0.10240. Apparently this is what Defer Upgrades does, rather than let you choose when to install updates as I'd previously read. Guess I'll untick that option whenever I have the time to deal with this.

You can grab the Media Creation Tool and use it to update to the November release at least. Lots of tweaks here and there.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Does anyone whether during activation check ups (every 90/180 days or some poo poo?) the client and server exchange and verify information about when the last check happened?

I'm asking because in regards to virtualization, I want to run an installation, update it as far as it goes, then freeze it in a snapshot and derive further VMs from said snapshot. The question is, say if I create VM 1 to run Steam in and VM 2 for whatever else, but use only VM 1 for months while mothballing VM 2. Now, if a few activation refreshes in, I unpack VM 2 and fire it up, and start changing between the two (only one would run at a time), do I have to expect drama?

--edit: Or am I mistaken and activation only runs once during the system lifetime?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 3, 2016

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Is M$ trying to sneak in a new patch to force people to upgrade? Since I remember the KB3035583's code and could spot it anywhere, are they trying to repackage it in a nice new box with KB3123862?

quote:

The update adds capabilities to some computers that lets users easily learn about Windows 10 or start an upgrade to Windows 10.

Yeah.. not... installing that one.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Combat Pretzel posted:

Does anyone whether during activation check ups (every 90/180 days or some poo poo?) the client and server exchange and verify information about when the last check happened?

I'm asking because in regards to virtualization, I want to run an installation, update it as far as it goes, then freeze it in a snapshot and derive further VMs from said snapshot. The question is, say if I create VM 1 to run Steam in and VM 2 for whatever else, but use only VM 1 for months while mothballing VM 2. Now, if a few activation refreshes in, I unpack VM 2 and fire it up, and start changing between the two (only one would run at a time), do I have to expect drama?

--edit: Or am I mistaken and activation only runs once during the system lifetime?

You may be better off just using two virtual disks and switching between them in the same VM.

Do you know how to set up direct GPU access for your VM? If not, or if your system doesn't allow for it, what makes you think your games will work with virtual guest GPU drivers?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'd like to keep my CAD stuff separate from the gaming stuff, because upgrading Solidworks is a pain in the rear end, thus why that convoluted setup using ZFS snapshots.

For graphics, I have VGA passthrough working successfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Out of nowhere, I booted my Win 10 computer and some processes never started/worked properly. (Task Manager wouldn't show, Chrome failed to load pages, Windows Defender wouldn't open.) All of these worked in Safe Mode. I tried SFC /scannow, MalwareBytes, reinstalled some drivers, to no avail. So I just shrugged and did a Windows Reset, which was fairly painless last time I did it.

Except this time, it decided to nuke my Program Files folder along with Windows proper. I've been reinstalling what few programs I have that live there, but I'm not sure what changed since the last reset I did? Did I overlook an option beyond "Keep my files" in the reset screen?