Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Lum posted:

Linux Mint

Hopefully you didn't download it on the 20th....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Getting Windows 10 to drive 3 displays simultaneously and consistently is the equivalent of giving yourself an endless swirlie.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Trying to figure out if/how I can transfer my Windows 10 license. I originally got a Win 8 from some promo a few years ago and subsequently did an upgrade to Win10. I'm building a new machine (so new MB/proc/hd) and it seems like the key is now just a generic one? I think I still have the Win8 key but not sure. At worst I was thinking of running the insider preview on the slowest ring if I can't figure things out as it seems that doesn't need a key. Is this a viable alternative?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fatal posted:

Trying to figure out if/how I can transfer my Windows 10 license. I originally got a Win 8 from some promo a few years ago and subsequently did an upgrade to Win10. I'm building a new machine (so new MB/proc/hd) and it seems like the key is now just a generic one? I think I still have the Win8 key but not sure. At worst I was thinking of running the insider preview on the slowest ring if I can't figure things out as it seems that doesn't need a key. Is this a viable alternative?

You simply need to install a legit Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 version on the new machine, and then run the Windows 10 updater. This will license the new machine for Windows 10, so long as you do it before August this year.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

AlternateAccount posted:

Getting Windows 10 to drive 3 displays simultaneously and consistently is the equivalent of giving yourself an endless swirlie.
How so? Works fine here and has since day one.

The only problem I've had with this setup is the nVidia power management bug which was the same on Windows 7. Switching to running the extra monitors on my Intel GPU dodged around that problem.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

wolrah posted:

How so? Works fine here and has since day one.

The only problem I've had with this setup is the nVidia power management bug which was the same on Windows 7. Switching to running the extra monitors on my Intel GPU dodged around that problem.

What problem is that? I've been running with two screens for more than a decade and I may have run into that but I blamed something else.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I'm running a 60Hz 1080p TV over 20m HDMI, a 1080p 144Hz over DisplayPort (main monitor), and a 60Hz 1920x1200 over DVI, all running from my GTX 970. No issues here. I might have the issue where your GPU doesn't downclock (or whatever the issue was), but I've never sperged out enough to even check if that is the case. Runs with zero issues.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

AlternateAccount posted:

There is almost zero chance that you are correct to be blaming windows 10, 3+ displays is working perfectly for LOTS of win10 users. I've seen lots of win10 problems and none of them involved it being uncooperative with multiple displays.

What troubleshooting have you done to narrow it down to blaming windows? It is more likely that you have a wonky cable or perhaps monitor, or perhaps some kind of software issue but not that windows 10 is just broken. First thing I would check is cables, especially if any of them are displayport.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Guillermus posted:

What problem is that? I've been running with two screens for more than a decade and I may have run into that but I blamed something else.

When you are running multiple monitors where the resolution and refresh rates do not match attached to a single nVidia GPU there's a high chance that it will stick at non-idle clocks even when you're doing nothing. This wastes power, generates heat, and potentially increases noise if the ambient temp is high enough.

If you use nVidia Inspector you might have heard of the Multi Display Power Saver feature. This issue is what that feature's for. It forces the low clock, though this can have side effects (I'd often get glitches on DisplayPort when it was active).

There was also a similar issue recently with high refresh rate monitors that nVidia acknowledged and I believe they fixed, but I never saw it happen on mine so I'm not sure.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks for the explanation. Seems that I never ran into that. All my issues were cards dying because of both being old and overused.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oh look, the KB3035583 WinX widget update is back in my updates yet again even after hiding twice before.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

This isn't a thing and it took me awhile to figure out what you meant, even in the context of this thread

slidebite posted:

Oh look, the KB3035583 WinX widget update is back in my updates yet again even after hiding twice before.

Is there any reason you can't let the updates be & use the official method to suppress the notification?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Factor Mystic posted:

the official method to suppress the notification?
Happen to have a link or summary for what that is? I'm not sure I've seen anything like that mentioned here.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Factor Mystic posted:

This isn't a thing and it took me awhile to figure out what you meant, even in the context of this thread
Sorry, I thought that's what it was called. The KB update which introduces the icon and begins the background upgrade process.

quote:

Is there any reason you can't let the updates be & use the official method to suppress the notification?
Is there a method other than not installing that KB update in the first place?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I was thinking of https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351 w/ DisableGwx key method

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
So for some reason, my ThinkPad X61 with a Intel Core 2 Duo CPU L7500, which has the NX bit, doesn't have the Windows 10 installer able to notice it.When I try to upgrade it complains that there's no NX bit support. Any ideas on what to do? Nothing I change in the BIOS fixes this.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

So for some reason, my ThinkPad X61 with a Intel Core 2 Duo CPU L7500, which has the NX bit, doesn't have the Windows 10 installer able to notice it.When I try to upgrade it complains that there's no NX bit support. Any ideas on what to do? Nothing I change in the BIOS fixes this.

Install on a different system and transport the disk?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

redeyes posted:

Install on a different system and transport the disk?

I have no other system to install on for that.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

fishmech posted:

I don't recall, does the NX bit require BIOS support? Might be a newer revision for that system that fixes it if so. I know there are a couple other features that started being required for 64-bit in 8 or 8.1 and upgrading from 7 to 10 on systems without them isn't possible unless you move to 32-bit.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Col.Kiwi posted:

There is almost zero chance that you are correct to be blaming windows 10, 3+ displays is working perfectly for LOTS of win10 users. I've seen lots of win10 problems and none of them involved it being uncooperative with multiple displays.

What troubleshooting have you done to narrow it down to blaming windows? It is more likely that you have a wonky cable or perhaps monitor, or perhaps some kind of software issue but not that windows 10 is just broken. First thing I would check is cables, especially if any of them are displayport.

Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4 and SurfaceBook have all had similar issues running 3 monitors. Have tried two docks, new and old style, new monitor and new adapters and cables. It miiiiiight be because one of the monitors is a 34" 3440x1440 Dell. It flips out when coming back from sleep usually. The dumb poo poo CANT SAVE THOSE SETTINGS error, etc.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Why are you trying to run 3 monitors off of a tablet?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Whizbang posted:

Not the image I was looking for, but close enough:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Eletriarnation posted:

I don't recall, does the NX bit require BIOS support? Might be a newer revision for that system that fixes it if so. I know there are a couple other features that started being required for 64-bit in 8 or 8.1 and upgrading from 7 to 10 on systems without them isn't possible unless you move to 32-bit.

I've already got it on the latest BIOS revision possible, which is the weird part.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Whizbang posted:

2+ the internal. Is this so insane?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

Hm, my SB and my husband's SP4 runs 2 monitors + internal perfectly. But we don't use a miniDP adapter, our monitors accepts DP.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

I am going to assume the third unstated monitor is a 1080p monitor.

You are running a 3000x2000 display, a 3440x1440 display, and a 1920x1080 display off of a single device with 1 GB of discrete VRAM (assuming you have the Surface Book model with the nVidia GPU and not the Intel GPU). How are you expecting to not run into issues? This is like riding your dog to work.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I thought that ratings bullshit in the system apps was fixed? Earlier this evening was the third time this week the calculator asked for it.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Segmentation Fault posted:

You are running a 3000x2000 display, a 3440x1440 display, and a 1920x1080 display off of a single device with 1 GB of discrete VRAM (assuming you have the Surface Book model with the nVidia GPU and not the Intel GPU). How are you expecting to not run into issues? This is like riding your dog to work.

13 megapixels is 40-50MB per full screen buffer, and the GPU in a 3DS has enough fillrate to handle that. Don't try to run a game at that resolution, but a GPU can stack windows in its sleep.

Dylan16807 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 29, 2016

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Dylan16807 posted:

13 megapixels is 40-50MB per full screen buffer, and the GPU in a 3DS has enough fillrate to handle that. Don't try to run a game at that resolution, but a GPU can stack windows in its sleep.
Yeah.

If I understand correctly that he is using a displayport-to-something else adapter, my money's on a wonky adapter. If he's only tried swapping out the adapter for another of the same model, or even just tried a couple models of adapters, he may simply have to try a better model of adapter. Many of those things are pretty flaky.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I bought a (supposed) Windows 10 Pro License key on the equivalent of ebay here in Denmark.

He just sent me a picture of a sticker, that says "Window 10 Pro for OEM Software" and then the key.

(the key has been removed, of course)

If I change product key via settings, it takes it, and then wants me to activate, but then gives me an error:

0xC004F014

There a lot of solutions for that online, but before I try any of them, I just want to know if I need to track the guy down and break his kneecaps, or if the key looks legit?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The sticker looks genuine, if that's your question?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
OEM keys are not unique -- they are issued for certain computer manufacturers (i.e.: Dell) and are hardcoded to query system information to make sure they are being installed on that manufacturer's hardware. They are not meant to be installed on any computer as retail keys do.

Go break some kneecaps.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Jan posted:

OEM keys are not unique -- they are issued for certain computer manufacturers (i.e.: Dell) and are hardcoded to query system information to make sure they are being installed on that manufacturer's hardware. They are not meant to be installed on any computer as retail keys do.

Go break some kneecaps.

Are you sure? I used to build my own desktops and buy OEM keys. They were totally legit as long as they were installed on self built stuff (aka a fresh mobo) and were tied to that mobo.

*My OEM key sources were legit vendors.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rurutia posted:

Are you sure? I used to build my own desktops and buy OEM keys. They were totally legit as long as they were installed on self built stuff (aka a fresh mobo) and were tied to that mobo.

*My OEM key sources were legit vendors.

Fresh Mobo you say - my laptop is already activated with 10 Home (updated from 8.1 pre-installed). Assuming the key is legit, and not sold previously, is it possible to get a nice, activated Pro on it?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Jan posted:

This is somewhat accurate for Vista and Windows 7, for keys you'd recover with software from an existing install. Never for the stickers though and the system works totally differently since Windows 8 anyway.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Segmentation Fault posted:

My expectation is actually for this to work perfectly in TYOL 2016.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Flipperwaldt posted:

This is somewhat accurate for Vista and Windows 7, for keys you'd recover with software from an existing install. Never for the stickers though and the system works totally differently since Windows 8 anyway.

Ah, my mistake. I was basing myself on my experience setting up Win7 workstations around the office -- an OEM sticker key from a retired workstation refused to work on new one that had a different motherboard vendor, and a cursory search pointed to the OEM key being the cause.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Whether OEM keys from a big vendor will work on other vendors might as well be random chance. That said, I've had a lot of luck doing it with keys printed on Dells (including some Dell OS DVDs that not just had a key embedded, but also successfully installed and activated on all other computers), and the least luck on keys from Toshibas. :shrug:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

edit: ^^^^ yeah I'm sort of glossing over that, but that a random factor too

Jan posted:

Ah, my mistake. I was basing myself on my experience setting up Win7 workstations around the office -- an OEM sticker key from a retired workstation refused to work on new one that had a different motherboard vendor, and a cursory search pointed to the OEM key being the cause.
Well, with the system you mentioned, the key on the sticker is real but not used in the factory image and should be "free" for re-use on another machine (violates TOS though) or the same machine with another motherboard. If someone did a manual install on the machine using the key on the sticker, the key is taken and a motherboard replacement can block activation. One way or another, in general a call to the activation hotline would have fixed that, though, if this isn't the umpteenth time you're trying this with the same key.

Today you can have keys "embedded in the bios" (not actually in the bios but whatever) and manufacturers don't need to use the trick with the universal image with the generic key anymore because activation can sort itself out. I don't have a lot of experience with this with computers that aren't laptops, so I might have my own misconceptions about how prebuilt desktops do this now. Thing seems to be you can software extract a legit key from a factory install now, that's the point: oem keys are now never "fake".

Another point is that I can go to a legit store and buy Windows 10 Pro, OEM version, in a box. Straight up. The key that guy bought isn't necessarily ripped of some prebuilt computer. Likely it is iffy in some way or other, depends what he paid, I don't know, but doesn't need to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
When using Windows 10's Backup function, how do I determine the state/progress of a given backup? Every time I try opening the More Options menu within Backup, it opens for a moment and then immediately closes. My external drive where I told it to backup is clicking along so I know it's writing stuff, but I have no apparent way of viewing how much progress it's making.