Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Factor Mystic posted:

Why didn't you tell it to not auto reboot.

Doesn't the "notify" setting still just start a countdown if you're not at the machine to respond?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Factor Mystic posted:

I mean if you're not at your computer for a week I guess that could be a problem but it's not like it's going to auto reboot while youre working on stuff.

The specific case you replied to was about leaving apps open overnight, though? :confused:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vidaeus posted:

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but ever since I did the upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10, Facebook doesn't load properly in Chrome. It only shows like 2 stories in the news feed and doesn't load any more when I click on the "More Stories" button. Also, when I click on the notifications, add friends, or messages icons it just pops up the small window where the notifications normally appear and just sits there loading, never displays anything. All other websites seem to be fine. Anyone have any ideas what's going on?

Chrome is telling me that it's already at the latest version.

What, if any, extensions do you have installed? Does logging out of FB and back in help? Are there errors in the JS console?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

What I really want to see is this loving thing finally put out of its misery so I can get 'date modified' on the folders Windows feels it doesn't want to add it to quickly. Never know when you might want to sort by an "assistant's phone number", "required attendees", or "pager".

Can you select the first one (the label, not the checkbox) and then press "d" to skip down?

I mean, when you're not sorting on 35mm focal length.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cojawfee posted:

When you have no monitors connected, it switches to 1024x768 for some reason.

There's a place in the registry that you can set the dimensions of the default/virtual/whatever display that's used in that case. Only a few days ago I had the link open, but now I can't find it. Maybe you'll have better Google luck than I have...

E:

ColHannibal posted:

FYI guy's I have been chasing this issue all weekend and I just got resolution on it.

If you are using a fancy new corsair cpu cooler that talks to the corsair link program, it will not function properly on window's 10. Windows turns on some usb power management thing that prevents adjustment of pump and fan speeds for the cooler, details in the link below to fix the problem.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=785550

The guy has some other issues but the real jump up is turn enhancedpowermanagment off or your pump will run at max speed and your fans will run at low speed with no adjustment possible. The system information viewer program after the link lets you update it easy enough.

I can't find that checkbox anywhere, using the latest SIV64.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 1, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nobody needs a backup system. Everyone needs a restore system.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dissss posted:

That isn't a common issue.

While you can generally disable the Nvidia card I've never seen a modern Optimus setup where you can disable the integrated GPU.

Given that the integrated GPU is what usually scans out regardless of where the rendering happens, it would be a bit tricky, yeah.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

7, 10, drivers for sure. Avoid having old Win7 driver crap hanging around.

I've found 10 to be fine for gaming, with SLI NVIDIA. AMD seems to be raising their level of play driver-wise too, as well they should: DX12 is a much better battlefield for them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

nobody who has their job the next day posted:

So hey, looks like we have a bug that affects regulatory compliance in an area that receives intense government and press scrutiny. We'll have a fix in a week, but I'm just gonna just whip up a blog post right now. Cool?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Faith For Two posted:

Or, I could watch/listen to those things by renting them from my local library and spend $ on things I can't easily have for free.

Not this you can't, unless you manage to resell it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Also 64-bit architectures have better security management, code rigor enforcement, etc.

What do you mean by this?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

E: oh, check out Captain Brevity up there ^^^

Khablam posted:

You generally get less out of exploits on 64bit systems. Address Space Layout Randomization, always-on hardware DEP, kernel patch protection and forced driver signing make the system more robust to buffer overflows and rootkits.

ASLR is more effective on 64-bit (it's really not very useful on 32-bit at all), but a 32-bit OS can use DEP and require drivers to be signed. That's just a policy choice, not something inherent to being a 64-bit architecture. Similarly, Microsoft could have done the KPP obfuscation and critical-value checks in Win32, they just didn't want to break compatibility. They used the transition to 64-bit to tighten down a number of things, but they could equally have done it at any new version point.

(They haven't published the details of KPP, so there might be some aspect of the implementation that relies on x64, but the general strategy of it would be fine on a 32-bit OS.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Khablam posted:

Right, but we're talking win 32 vs win 64, so whether something is actually implemented is more relevant than arguing whether it could be or not.
I personally think hardware DEP for all processes is better than software opt-in which could theoretically be toggled off by some malware to allow further exploitation, but yeah in theory it's been around a while.

The post I replied to was making general statements about 64-bit architectures and "code rigor enforcement", as far as I can tell, which is why I asked for more detail. Maybe the poster will clarify.

DEP can and will use the NX bit in a 32-bit Windows, as long as PAE is enabled, going back to Vista.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

slidebite posted:

No, home unfortunately. I just hate MS forcing whatever they want, it's not like they don't make mistakes or take liberties with your preferences.

How do they handle drivers? For example, will it try to give you the newest WHQL cert video driver or whatever if it sees yours as older?

Turn off updates if you don't want updates.