Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

croutonZA posted:

Is your lock screen set to show a picture or slideshow? If it's the latter, you could poke around Settings > Personalisation > Lock Screen > Advanced Slideshow Settings. There's some settings in there to do with turning off your screen.

This has really been bugging me and while my workaround still doesn't mimic exactly how it worked in Windows 8, it's better than before.

In Windows 8 if I locked the computer OR left it unlocked on the desktop, after exactly 15 minutes of inactivity it would sleep the monitor based on my Power Options setting (Good). On resume it would display the slideshow then any input would pull up the login screen. If I lock the computer it shows the slideshow for 15 minutes then sleeps the monitor (Also Good).

Stock Windows 10 it appears that there's another timer for the Lock Screen that's completely independent from the standard Power Options setting. In the new Settings, go to Personalization > Lock Screen > Advanced Slideshow Settings and you can see the "Turn off screen after slideshow has played for" with set intervals. So now what happens is after 15 minutes of inactivity it goes to the Lock Screen, THEN waits 30 minutes (shortest option) before sleeping the monitor. Kinda defeats the purpose of sleeping the monitor if it's going to run that long.

Luckily this can be overridden in the registry via "HKEY_USERS\%Your User String%\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Lock Screen". SlideshowDuration uses a hex value that you can modify to be much shorter. For example, 5 minutes would be 300 seconds + 000 at the end (three trailing zeroes are important) converted to hex is 7A120.

For myself Advanced Slideshow Settings still shows 30 minutes, but the duration did change. Now it will do one of two things:

If you lock the computer, it will turn off the screen exactly at 5 minutes (or whatever time you set), regardless of your Power Options setting. If the computer is left unlocked it will go through the Power Options timer to the Lock Screen, go through the Lock Screen timer, THEN sleeps the monitor.

tl;dr this is dumd and Microsoft needs to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU