Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Since the Windows 7 portcullis is slamming down, I'll be finally updating to Windows 10. I'm not much looking forward to it. Is there a reliable web page or app collection that will help me customize the awful bits out of the shell, and give me some goddamn control over my privacy? I've mostly been looking through ghacks.net.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Well, that's something, thank you.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

MS has had a long line of infuriating OS releases, forced changes nobody wanted, gently caress ups, bunch of other stuff. 7 and XP felt so smooth toward the middle end of their life by comparison. I'm sure that setting up W10 will be easier than reinstalling 7, at least. Assuming the drivers all work.

And I realize this is the fringest of fringe case, but I hope I can get blackbox for windows working on it. I'm sure I can get used to Metro (or whatever they call their shell) and I don't care as much about shell customization as I used to, but I've used bblean for like 18 years.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

For all of 2016 and most of 2017 I thought the same thing about 10 vis-a-vis fixing the things that 8 got wrong or left undercooked. I like just about everything about the UI and standard functionality of the OS. I like the start menu a lot.

Some people don't like it which is their call, but there were people who complained about 7 and stuck with XP for years, despite it having the fugliest UI that microsoft has ever barfed up.
Yeah, where I'm at is, I've had a real good run with 7, but just as I held onto XP (with a custom blackbox theme, not the default fisher price mess), it's my time to jump. The stuff in 10 that I can't change, I'll just get used to, but not without the occasional gripe.

Thanks to those of you who beta tested Windows 10 for me all those years.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

I have not had any of the privacy settings changed by updates.

You can't turn telemetry 100% off without either Enterprise, disabling services (which does get reset by updates), or getting a pihole. But "basic" telemetry is the same data that windows 7 sent in. If you didn't have any tinfoil about windows error reporting on 7 then 10 shouldn't be different.

I'm fine with doing the above bolded things with 10, and already have with 7, so that's actually nice to hear. I see this is a potential guide for that? https://www.techbout.com/disable-telemetry-and-data-collection-in-windows-10-30878/

Installing W10 fresh, first fresh OS install in 7 years. Mostly I'm just not looking forward to digging up drivers, disabling startup or spy bullshit (nvidia) from reinstalling applications and driver packages, figuring out how to apply esoteric user preferences I can't live without in a new shell, stuff like that. Avoiding having to make an MS account. A lot of that just comes with reinstalling an OS, even one you like. But some is "goddammit Microsoft, u rear end in a top hat" territory.

It'll be a week before my SSD gets here, but after that I'll probably poo poo up this thread now and then with a feckless gripe or a noob question. Old OS image is already saved just in case.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This is way OT, but it will be (probably horribly) fascinating to see the endgame of all this surveillance and grubbing of user behavior by really big companies gets us. They're expending so many resources in getting it, storing it, packaging it, selling it, behaving as though it has intrinsic value, keeping it Top Secret, puffing their share worth on its perceived value. Whether it actually paints any accurate picture of how humans actually function will be completely beside the point, because it'll be the raw material for building the next generation of... whatever's next, no matter what. The imaginary value of all that data will have to be worth something, and will be treated that way, whether it's worth something or not.

comedy option: imagine Windows 11 being beta tested entirely by trillions of virtual people on virtual machines based on all that telemetry

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 26, 2019

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

Windows 10 does not have Directx 9 installed by default, so lots of middling-old games won't work until you get it (this is the installer you want to use, not the 9c version).
Glad I saw this in advance of trying to get Unreal 2K4 working. New SSD's coming in a week or so, Windows 10 and a good week of after-work configuration headaches (probably), here I come.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

So, I'm migrating from Windows 7 with the ancient bblean shell to Windows 10 now, and of course I hate it and wouldn't mind having my old shell back. I know the place for that is at blackboxforwindows.com, a mostly dead forum, but I'm pretty sure has its haunts. I'm not really looking forward to the backflips I'll need to get my old blackbox styles working again, so...

I might be more more interested in the meantime messing around with some out-of-warranty Windows 10 shell customization. I used to visit pixelfuckers.org in the dim dark past, but that's gone now. Is there a good credible spot with some tutorials on how to tweak Windows 10 beyond what MS allows? Just cursorily going through deviantart.com reveals (among other, terrible things) something called UltraUXTheme Patcher.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sorry I wasn't clear, I do get that this theme patcher thing isn't an alternative shell. I'm just interested in maybe making my own Windows 10 themes like some that I've seen, such as:

I'm an old bblean user, but I'm ok with putting it down if I can have a good deal more control over MS's unfortunate design choices. (Yellow folders. In 2020.) I'm after some well-known tools and tutorials to make Windows 10 themes.

So I'll do my bit and scrounge around if no one's got any leads on messing with the W10 default shell.

And I'll be asking more dumb questions as I go.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 7, 2020

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

I used LiteStep on XP and custom themes in 7, and it's so not worth it now. When I first switched to 10 I used custom themes, but dropped it pretty fast. The pace of updates that require re-patching is much higher, and themes have to be updated for compatibility at least every 6 month update. I quit using that stuff when I had to drop to safe mode to delete the theme I'd clicked on without updating. Evidently in '18 it was even worse, you had to uninstall the uxthemepatcher before updating or get stuck in reboot loops.

It helps that I don't hate the default 10 chrome at all. I hated XP and disliked 7, but 10 is restrained flat design that is totally fine.
Yeah I'll probably have a similar arc. It's not hard to get 10 to around 80% of what I like, but the new OS smell has me wanting to see what I can get away with. I am seeing notes on these Deviantart unsigned theme things about which windows patch they're compatible and eh.....

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I was wondering who would care about yellow folders that much, but I guess those screenshots all have washed out grey backgrounds to match the washed out grey UI, for washed out grey people.

it's just an example

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Software request here: I like a mostly empty desktop with a few columns of mostly anonymous icons to launch project folders, files, or applications from. I used bbIconBox with bblean for years, and it looked like this:

It's not for everyone, but it works for me. With Windows 10 I'm finally abandoning bblean, so just wondering if anyone uses a launcher with a similar aesthetic that's real light on resources and lets me organize things like this. Not interested in Stardock Fences.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Willo567 posted:

Should I be worried about upgrading from Windows 7 to 10, with the horror stories about updates breaking the OS?
I've converted just this week, so I'm learning about stuff I've been putting off for a while.

I've installed fresh on a new disk, not upgrading a W7 install. It was very easy compared to the past. Microsoft has learned some lessons here. Drivers and such are found in an automated fashion. From what I've read the upgrade process is similarly reliable and smooth. There are next to no choices to make during OS install, which is both good and bad, depending on how hands-on you like to be. Still I remember making dozens of changes during Windows 7 installation, and many more after, it's just a matter of what side of the install process they're made. It's better IMO to have the streamlined installation.

The tradeoff is the information they will mine from you, both during setup, and from your user habits. For example, it will set up all your devices with the right drivers (probably), but will also add every bit of info it can about your setup to its own central datamass of user information and behavior. If you want more control over that you can work against it somewhat but never completely be rid of it. If you're a privacy nut and a Windows user, the feeling of irritation and "gently caress it, I want to be able to play games," will be about the same as with any other Windows OS made since XP.

I don't know about others more experienced with the OS here, but I check askwoody.com about once a month for the horror stories along with advice about whether to put off patching (W10 lets you pause updates for a weird rechargable period of time, but eventually forces them on you), but I take the hysteria of their user community with a pinch of salt. They literally have a DEFCON system for Windows patches and herds of nevertenners doing all the heavy lifting of vetting patches for you.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

My aging mobo's Windows driver page:

Just looking for some comments or red flags here:
  • Realtek driver and Intel INF driver I'm getting from their websites and not the mobo manufacturer
  • I assume I don't need and won't install other Intel things: Management Engine, Smart Connect, LAN driver (I use wireless), or Rapid Start
  • I assume I do need Rapid Storage Technology, or at least won't be hurt by having it around. I don't use RAID.
  • The A-Tuning utility I use to tweak fan control and some other stuff without booting into the BIOS.
  • I assume everything else isn't needed.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lambert posted:

You don't really need them, but you can also get Management Engine, Rapid Storage (this is the driver for the SATA controller, if you don't install it, Windows will use a generic one), LAN, Intel WiFi etc.from the Intel Download Center https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Basically, never use drivers provided by your motherboard manufacturer.
Thanks! I get the impression that Management Engine and Smart Connect are for business deployment or something and will probably plant themselves in the system tray waiting for commands that never come. LAN, I don't use so MS generic is fine there.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lambert posted:

For Management Engine, you can just install the driver without any accompanying software (MEI-Only folder in the downloaded driver). The same is true for Rapid Storage, just download the f6flpy-x64 version and install it using the Device Manager (SATA interface).

Smart Connect you don't need at all.
My motherboard is so old that Intel's Rapid Storage and ME packages don't support it anymore, but the OEM downloads appear to have higher version numbers than the ones installed by Microsoft... from what I can tell by looking at the update history. So I ended up with the OEM's versions of those at least, and it probably makes almost, but not quite, entirely no difference. So this partly violates your advice to not bother with OEM downloads if you run a 7 year old machine like I do.

Backstory is that I installed Windows 10 on a new drive but didn't boot the install media in UEFI, so the disk was formatted MFT instead of GPT. Probably not a huge deal but I'm reinstalling Windows anyhow and am taking a voluntary tinfoil hat challenge of doing so offline and installing my own drivers. Why? Why not? I await Doctor_Fruitbat's analysis of my behavior.

This is fairly fringe info for a regular end user, so thanks again.

Incidentally, if you hate Nvidia's driver installer, you can strip the crap outta it (including Experience and telemetry) with NVCleanInstall.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

New install Windows 10 Pro: this goddamn update orchestrator service is waking my pc a thousand times a day and doesn't show up on the task scheduler for me to modify. Hopefully disabling wake timers will resolve this really stupid issue.

edit: oh no wait, I found it in Task Scheduler. Now watch it stealth re-enable itself.
edit2: can't disable it. lol

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 10, 2020

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

First try setting this option in your power plan:

If that doesn't work, check these instructions for how to edit the task.

Thanks for this. I had a folder of tweaks like this called "windows 7 annoyances." Just started one for 10.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 10, 2020

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is autohotkey still the thing folks use to override Windows hotkeys, or has the world moved on since I created my last script 7 years ago? Wanna get my esoteric hotkeys and application launching combos back, the hell with this Ctrl+Alt shortcut stuff, I want Win+F1 to do something other than open Edge, etc.

Also a pat on the back to MS for implementing a reasonably slick virtual desktop switcher. It’s almost as good as bblean’s implementation. I miss being able to gather windows or send them to other desktops with a hotkeys combo, but I get it, making things is hard.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

All the tweaks I'm doing it's feeling like 1995 again. Thanks and I'll add this to the toolbox.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

First try setting this option in your power plan:

If that doesn't work, check these instructions for how to edit the task.
So, an update. I think disabling wake timers is working, but it's hard to say, because now UsoSvc (Universal Orchestrator) is mostly keeping the thing awake.

Would it be an awful idea to add it to powercfg -requestsoverride?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

re this:

Klyith posted:

Turning off wake timers as in this setting?

Hot dang Microsoft, nice that you just ignore important system settings.

Hooo kay, here's the sledgehammer solution:

1. Open an admin command prompt to C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator and paste these two commands:
takeown /F "Universal Orchestrator Idle Start"
takeown /F "Universal Orchestrator Start"

2. Get the psexec utility from Sysinternals. Extract it somewhere. Open another admin command prompt where you put it, and run this:
psexec.exe -i -s %windir%\system32\mmc.exe /s taskschd.msc
which will open task scheduler as the SYSTEM account. Now you can edit the "Universal Orchestrator Start" and "Universal Orchestrator Idle Start" tasks, located in TaskSchedulerLibrary-> Microsoft-> Windows-> UpdateOrchestrator
Change the Triggers to daily instead of one time, and uncheck the wake from sleep box on the Conditions tab. Optionally set the times to like morning and evening when the computer is likely to be a awake.
Close the task scheduler.

3. In the first command prompt where you did takeown, run these to make the tasks read-only.
attrib +R "Universal Orchestrator Idle Start"
attrib +R "Universal Orchestrator Start"

The Idle Start task normally runs multiple times per day, with this change it only runs once. Automatic Updates still work though. The next time there's a full new version update to Win10 you will need to repeat the process.

So, it looks like UsoSvc ignores powercfg -requestsoverride, so I did the above. However, in step 3, I am getting "access denied."

code:
C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator>takeown /F "Universal Orchestrator Idle Start"

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Universal Orchestrator Idle Start" now owned by user "xxxxxx\doctorfrog".

C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator>takeown /F "Universal Orchestrator Start"

SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Universal Orchestrator Start" now owned by user "xxxxxx\doctorfrog".

C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator>attrib +R "Universal Orchestrator Idle Start"
Access denied - C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Universal Orchestrator Idle Start
File permissions are always mysticism to me, but I followed the directions above to the letter.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

Ok, add step 3a (grant write permission to admins)
cacls "Universal Orchestrator Start" /E /G "Administrators":W
cacls "Universal Orchestrator Idle Start" /E /G "Administrators":W

then do the attrib command.

Sorry about instructions going out of date... As I say, I haven't had to re-do myself this after updates.
Success.

Hey, I can't complain, this is free tech support. Searching for solutions to windows problems on Google is practically useless: it's either a complaint with no response, a scam site, or a solution for an earlier version of Windows 10.

Thanks for the help!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

wolrah posted:

Windows Update is trash for many reasons and you're probably right, but at the same time SSDs are so cheap that considering the absolutely loving massive performance difference it really should be considered mandatory to at least have your OS on one. The moment you use a PC with a SSD and a proper amount of RAM you will never want to use one running from spinning rust again.
I just got my first SSD and it’s like night and day but acting like you’re a dumdum for not shelling out for new hardware, when you don’t know someone else’s situation, is pretty darn :goonsay:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Weedle posted:

I don’t see anyone calling anyone else a dum-dum. There’s just no other solution.
Yeah, I guess he didn’t. Sorry, wolrah I am conflating your post with others I have seen.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 17, 2020

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

astral posted:

People buying Win10 or otherwise in a condition where you can choose your edition: get Win10 Pro instead of Home. It's much easier to configure things and disable many of the annoyances you've heard people complain about.

seconded.

also install shutup10 and maybe winaerotweaker.

also I used Edge Blocker (https://www.sordum.org/9312/edge-blocker-v1-5/) since I keep fat-fingering an old hotkey combo I used on W7 and was tired of Edge popping up. It's a simple toggle that alters whether Edge runs at all. Since Edge+Bing appear to literally be the Windows 10 help system now, new users might want to wait a bit on that one, the settings dialogs are littered with links that activate Edge, and they don't visually differentiate from other links.

edit: Actually, if you have another browser set as default, it looks like the URL is passed to that instead. So Edge Block away IMO.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 17, 2020

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

dissss posted:

Like so many other Windows 10 annoyances the way to resolve the issue is just ignore it.
I had Windows check with me before downloading updates for so many years with 7 that I automatically ignore this icon anyhow and have to set a reminder to myself to look at it. Reminds me of my dad putting electrical tape over the “check engine” light of his Buick Skylark.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lester Shy posted:

Any ideas why my Windows 10 PC refuses to go to sleep if I leave a video playing in fullscreen? If I'm just browsing and leave the PC unattended, it'll go to sleep like normal. But if I have a fullscreen browser video playing overnight, it will finish the video, the display will turn off after the video is over, but the computer will still be running hours later when I wake up. I have auto-play turned off on all streaming sites, so it's not like a new episode is keeping it awake.

I have my Power Settings set to turn off the display after 10 minutes and go to sleep after 20, but neither of those settings seem to apply in this situation.

When the PC is exhibiting this behavior, open an admin command line and enter: powercfg -requests. The stuff that shows up is the stuff that's keeping it awake in that moment.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lester Shy posted:

Don't know what any of that means, really. I guess I could see if it behaves this way with only one FF tab open.

Sorry if this should go in its own tech support thread.

I should note that I can force the PC to sleep by going to Start > Power > Sleep or using a keyboard shortcut like normal, even if I have a fullscreen video playing in Firefox.

When I run a video in FFox, it looks like that, but when I pause it, those requests vanish. Same with you? My machine sleeps just dandy with a video paused or ended on FF.

e: if they disappear, FF is probably behaving just fine. Could be another process keeping your machine awake or waking it up.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 25, 2020

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

microsoft posted:

Microsoft declined to comment on the specifics of why it purchased products from Jumpshot, but said that it doesn't have a current relationship with the company.
I bet it was to see if the data jumpshot/avast collected rivaled the user data Windows 10 collects.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I was at Sordum getting something else, and saw this earlier today: https://www.sordum.org/9203/update-time-v1-2/

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Does the Windows 10 "Alarms & Clock" app not have a functioning snooze for anyone else? I hit "snooze" and it never re-alerts. Not a huge deal, but I'd expect this very basic feature of a very basic app to work.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fast startup is bad?

Also you should download your drivers manually now and maybe install them while W10 is offline.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have fast startup on, but can't get the super fast startup to work because I have a weird video card that doesn't work with it. But I also kinda value having access to my BIOS that's not gated by a Microsoft OS.

I've debated disabling fast startup--in spite of its novelty--to save wear on my SSD, but the goon consensus on SSDs is "don't worry about your dang SSD," so I haven't bothered.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I used to think that the MS patch DEFCON indicator at askwoody.com was kinda hysterical, but it's making sense the more I'm using W10 and reading about every new patch bringing something unwanted. I don't personally offer this as advice to anyone, but I've been pausing patches using Windows Update Blocker and only allowing them after about a week's gone by. I was content to run an iffy Windows 7 for years to let Windows 10 users beta test the OS for me, I guess I'm going to have to be content with running an iffy Windows 10 for similar reasons.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

So, I hit Win+G today to "gather" my windows onto the current desktop, a function of my previous bblean shell, and Game Bar showed up for the first time. At first I was annoyed at yet another unasked for Windows feature, but... it actually seems... good for Microsoft to put basic GPU recording and screenshot software in their OS.

What's the catch? Is it that rare good ol' piece of basic software like notepad or mspaint? Is it barely functional trash? Is it covert spyware?

MS has such a bad rapport with me, I just assume if something's enabled by default, it's probably horrible, useless, or designed to advantage themselves over their users.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is there a way to change the background colors of individual tiles in the Start Menu? Most of them follow my system color choice, but some of the branded stuff (Firefox, Dropbox) gets to choose its own color, looks like. I wanna be able to do this for the regular boring icons for my other applications, or to disable it for the fancypants brand-name apps that think they're so freaking special.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Weedle posted:

This is insanely unfair to Soviet computers. Ever heard of "Project SPHINX?" They were really trying!

https://www.inexhibit.com/case-studies/project-sphinx-when-the-ussr-tried-to-change-the-computer/

And let us also not forget the glorious Агат:

They're even colored in anticipation of the inevitable nicotine staining.

Also, I like my interfaces to be pixel-sharp enough to give you paper cuts. Vista-era Aero looked cheap like translucent plastic. Which is not to say 8 was good. It was bad.

What Windows should have is better support for changing the UI to whatever you want. I was like, "ok sure," when I saw the setting "let windows choose a highlight color for my whole interface," and hey, it's nearly always "blue." Nicely done. Don't like blue? Picked a different highlight color? Well, get used to that blue showing up everywhere anyway. Applied a registry hack? That blue comes right back after restoring from system sleep.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 21, 2020

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

HalloKitty posted:

We had all that, once. You could customise every standard control's colour.

yeah I miss 3DCC.

Thanks!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Microsoft Money was straight up handsome.

I feel the same way about "everything blue," as some folks in here feel about "everything gray." It's boring and oppressive after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

AlternateAccount posted:

Microsoft's visual design is still dragging the corpse of metro with it's solid color blocking and squared off tiles.
e: I assume you're talking about the start menu tiles, since there's no context to your post.
What's good about these:
  • You can turn live tiles off
  • You can remove ones you don't like, add ones you do
  • You can change and move them around, including their color
  • You can be rid of them entirely if you don't want them, and live a long happy life
Everything about Windows should be like them, in that you can decently customize them or tell them to gently caress off forever. :colbert:

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 28, 2020