Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Does text seem slightly more blurry in Windows 10 compared to 7? At the standard 100% scaling and default ClearType settings, same hardware and general setup as with Windows 7, it looks like more smoothing/anti-aliasing has been applied to text to the point where it looks very slightly blurred. I tried going through the ClearType wizard, too, but the default settings seem to be about as good as it gets.

I sort of noticed weird-looking text when working on family members' computers before, but that seemed like a weird combination of blur and extra pixelation or something. I just moved my own PC over last night and text just looks generally more blurry than usual. I should probably get my eyes and glasses checked again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Is there any specific information yet about how the Anniversary Update account-linked licenses are going to work with hardware upgrades? All I've read so far has been kind of vague and unsure about whether it'll work for major component changes.

My sister's in the situation where she wants the free upgrade to 10, but she also wants to upgrade the parts in her system soon (motherboard, CPU, RAM, main drive). Will the license work if she does that account linking process, then does a fresh install on the newly upgraded parts and goes through the activation troubleshooter? Or is it still unknown at this point? e: To clarify, I'm just talking about one system using her license in the end.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

If you mean you'd prefer the Details pane at the bottom like in 7, I was looking for that myself. The only solution I've found so far deals with using OldNewExplorer, but apparently some people have been having issues with it in the most recent builds of 10.

Klyith posted:

All still unknown [...] But snag a 10 upgrade on the old machine and link an account just in case.
Yeah, I guessed that was still the case. I'm just trying to figure out if I should push her to do her hardware upgrades before the free upgrade period ends. I'm sure she doesn't want to spend another $150 (CAD) to buy a license for 10 afterwards if she doesn't have to.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

So, now Microsoft are taking away the ability for Pro users to edit policies that were originally available, simply because they want to display more ads to more people... Nice. On top of the forced telemetry and advertisements for general users, they're now forcing it on people who possibly paid a premium in order to have more control over these things and who wanted to avoid this completely, after the fact. I used my 8.1 Pro license to get 10 Pro, but there are likely lots of people who actually paid for their licenses and are now going to have ads forced on them unless they can figure out another workaround. Not that it's really any more acceptable for MS to be forcing ads on people who upgraded for "free." I hope someone figures out how to disable these things after the changes are implemented, otherwise I'll just go back to 7 or 8.1 and maybe dual-boot 10 for games that actually require it. But it sounds like using 7 isn't even a viable option if I upgrade my main components next year.

*sigh*

I wish we didn't have to basically depend on using Windows for a ton of games. If Linux had as good of support/compatibility, then I would have switched long ago.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Basically all of the "suggested apps" or recommendations and related things that show up in the Start menu and elsewhere. Those constitute ads, unless you actually want random app suggestions. You also supposedly won't be able to disable the Windows "tips" and the lock screen. You can remove or disable most of that stuff right now, but that's supposedly changing with the Anniversary Update.

You can remove those random apps and Microsoft-approved programs from the Start menu currently, but I have no idea if they're planning for that to change. The way people are talking about it is that all users except for those on Enterprise and Education versions will have to deal with them now, with no ability to disable them other than possibly the standard right-click>uninstall/unpin from start.

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 30, 2016

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

People also keep lists of the telemetry updates for 7 so you can avoid them, and there are apparently workarounds to disable telemetry stuff in 7. Personally, I'm less concerned about MS having my system details and related information when programs crash, and am more concerned that they're trying to push unwanted programs and similar things like the OS is now adware.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

I was obviously more reactionary than I should have been. I've been dealing with a lot of poo poo lately and my nerves are stressed, so this being a possibility on top of everything else was too much.

I know that the majority of these options have been adjustable in the settings until now, but is it unreasonable to think that Microsoft would change that? Does anybody actually have the final Anniversary Update release and not an Insider Preview? Could they not make those changes system-wide and not restricted to the Group Policy Editor? Do we know they aren't going to actually make those changes system-wide on the actual release date? Have there been changes in public updates that weren't shown in their respective Insider builds? I'm not asking rhetorically, I'm actually wondering because I haven't been paying attention to most things related to Windows 10.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Then you need to talk to someone.
Hardy har har. Thanks for the concern.

quote:

Already discussed, but:[...]
As I said previously, I know that those settings exist currently. I was just questioning whether Microsoft's current leadership would actually make the dubious decision to globally remove the ability to change those settings instead of just removing the ability to control them on a finer level within the policy editor.

I guess I'll just continue to wait and see what Microsoft actually decide to do with 10. Hopefully things get better instead of worse.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

If I'm not using the new Linux stuff on Windows has anyone else noticed any differences with the Anniversary Update?
Besides the UI changes (some of which are kind of annoying), it broke the ability for programs/drivers like DS4Windows and InputMapper to use their "exclusive" modes without workarounds that need to be done after every login. Apparently the same kind of thing happened with some of the preview and initial builds for 10 and it's an issue that Microsoft likely created accidentally. Other than that, haven't really done enough testing to notice anything else.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Weird. I wonder what's different from the SCP version that allows it to function fine while the others need a workaround. Since it looks like the original SCP driver isn't being developed anymore, is ScpToolkit the branch that people are using now?

It's not like it's difficult to do the manual workaround, it's just slightly annoying that it has to be done at all.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

A good poster posted:

Does this require you to use your MS account password at the Windows login/unlock screen?
Yes. I have the same kind of password setup as you and it got annoying pretty quickly doing it that way. You can use a PIN instead, but if you ever reboot to Safe Mode then you need to input your full password. Personally, I'm just going to do the account linking before I make any hardware upgrades and then remove it again afterwards. It's a personal desktop and there aren't any physical security concerns here, so I don't see the point in having a password.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

It won't help you nail down your problem, but from what little I see of your system specs, I have the same CPU and amount of RAM running on 10 Pro and I'm only at 1280 MB on the page file. Chrome's currently open with 15 tabs (one of which has a buffered but paused 720p video), I have MPC-HC open with a video playing, and Steam and various other programs are running in the background. I also disabled hibernation, though.

As stupid as it sounds, have you tried checking the box for Windows to automatically manage the paging file size on all drives just to see if it would make a difference? Or, kind of like the others mentioned, try setting a smaller manual size, then resetting and returning to your current system managed setting again? It could be a weird bug. Are any background processes running at startup that could be causing the paging file to inflate like that? If you really want to figure it out, you unfortunately might need to make use of some deductive reasoning.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

I have no idea how Windows tablets differentiate from laptops, but if you have things like hibernation and the page file enabled, you could try disabling those and see what free space you have afterwards and whether the Upgrade Assistant lets you continue.

Here are the steps to disable hibernation in case you want them: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html#option1.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Has anybody else's files/folders using Medium or Large icons suddenly had their filenames become left-aligned? This just happened to my system around half an hour ago and I don't know what triggered it. I think I opened a .tar with 7-Zip, opened a PDF from inside the archive, and then everything was suddenly left-aligned after I closed the reader. Restarting didn't fix it, and nobody seems to have an explanation other than "it's another bug in Windows 10 or the Anniversary Update."

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Anybody know of a fix to enable ID3 v2.4 tag editing/handling that doesn't rely on third-party software? Or has MS just not implemented this yet? Trying to edit any fields of those kinds of files in Explorer (properly naming podcasts, mainly) ends with them going blank. It won't even let me hit the "Apply" button, but if I hit "OK" then it just deletes whatever was in those fields that I tried to change. In Mp3tag, the ones I tried changing through Explorer are coming up with "!BAD ID3v2," so I'm guessing Windows just doesn't like ID3 v2.4.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Yeah, I'm on 1703/15063.540 so I guess it's just broken. It looks like only the v2.4 tags can't be edited, so I guess I can just use something like Mp3tag to edit or convert them all to v2.3. The only "fixes" I've seen anyone mention are using the AudioShell extension, or clean installing Windows which I'm not keen to do.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

But the Millennium Edition made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecccssss why did I make this joke kill me aaaaaggggghhh

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Is it generally recommended to do a clean install after any of these larger updates or should everything still be fine? I think I may have done a clean install after the last update but don't remember why. The only thing I noticed after 1709 finished installing was that the Nvidia drivers weren't being recognized or used properly, so I did a quick uninstall and reinstall of those and they seem fine now. I didn't test performance before or after to know whether anything's worse, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Has anyone else's Bluetooth adapter stopped working since the Fall Creators Update? Mine was fine before, but now it's coming up as an unknown device in the device manager and none of the various drivers for it are getting it to be recognized. They install fine as if they see the hardware, but then it still shows as an unknown device.

I'm just wondering if this could be a problem with the update or if the adapter on my motherboard is somehow in the process of dying. It's the built-in module on an ASUS P8P67 Pro, so it's around 6 years old at this point. I don't really want to put myself in debt for new hardware yet, but this kind of thing along with flagging performance from my (overclocked) 2500K is making me consider an upgrade.