Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Does anybody know how to install security updates in Win7 without upgrading to Win10? Even with the "Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro" optional update unchecked, installing updates displays "Downloading Windows 10". I can't currently manage an OS upgrade but the security updates out today are kind of critical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Decided to finally upgrade to 10 from 7. svchost.exe -k netsvcs has been using one core @ 100% for half an hour now, download hasn't even started. Do I just wait a few hours or something?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

How do I change my monitor's color profile after the anniversary update? Changing the default profile in Color Management makes no visible changes, even if I choose a totally incorrect profile.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Found my desktop offline and it then BSOD'd on boot repeatedly until automatic repair kicked it. How do I tell what automatic repair did? It's working so far but the only notification I got is that KB4507453 failed to install.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

bobfather posted:

Any telemetry is pretty much unforgivable because it eats bandwidth and battery life which are still finite resources to most people and is used for gently caress-all by Microsoft to offer a more stable product.
Here's an old story about MS08-067, where Microsoft used telemetry to discover and fix a wormable vulnerability before the attackers researching it could finish creating an actual attack. The idea that telemetry is not used by MS to improve Windows is false.
Millions of computers still got infected (by different attackers, who wrote Conficker) thanks to people not installing the update.

Unrelated: Anybody know how to determine why Windows 10 2004 isn't "ready for your device"? I want to know if it's because something I'm actually using is incompatible or if it's seeing the presence of some ancient software I have installed somewhere and refusing to install.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

lol at the idea of a start button that steadily moves left as you open more apps

at least it's optional

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

I don't really want to buy a TPM module and plug it into my mobo so I guess I'll wait a while and see if they remove that requirement

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

My Start Menu's index was totally hosed up after a BSOD so I can see not liking it becoming basically 'search only'

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

A shitload dude. Behold, my stuff:

I'm the seven different versions of WoW

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

When I hit Alt-Shift to change languages nothing pops up unless I keep holding either shift or alt
oh god now that I'm doing it it's popping up more; will not investigate further in case it makes the popup always appear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

The CPU is a 7500U; capable of running at 3ghz and it's running at 700mhz. I never had this issue with the old motherboard, so I am wondering what could be going on?
use some system monitoring tool that can show the CPU temp and see if it's really hot, running constantly at 700MHz sounds like something might have gotten hosed with the heatsink