Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, I wanna grab the upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 before the end of the free period. Only thing is that my computer is kind of set up stupidly. I've got the OS on a 64gb SSD, and the rest of everything else on a standard hard drive. Will this effect anything with the upgrade? Do I have to do anything special during the process? What can I expect to have happen here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

fishmech posted:

I would advise you to download the installer on a separate computer if possible (to put on a flash drive), and move as much stuff as you can off the small SSD temporarily to your main hard drive, before you do the install. That should give you enough room to safely perform the install. (You only need like 20 GB of free space or something to do the install, but it doesn't hurt to leave extra space)

What can I expect post-upgrade as far as my other hard drive? I assume I'll have to go through and reinstall all the various programs I had, and everything that's there now will be moved to a folder or something, right?

EDIT: The only stuff I really ever installed on the SSD were the operating system and programs that worked closely with it. I do know the SSD's full, but I'm not sure what I can delete to free up space. I assume there's no easy way to tell, either, is there?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

fishmech posted:

You won't need to reinstall anything (besides some drivers, maybe) if you do the normal upgrade install, the default way it works. I mean if you had to move some programs off of the SSD temporarily to the hard drive, you'll need to move them back, but reinstall shouldn't be necessary.

Just make sure you run the setup from within Windows 7 to make it the easiest

Sounds good. I just need a thumb drive that can hold the installer then, correct?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, just to confirm, if I need to do a clean wipe and install of windows 10, will I be able to downgrade back down to windows 7, if needed, as long as I have my product key? Let's just say I Did A Stupid and now a regular upgrade from 7 to 10 won't be possible.

EDIT: To clarify, I plan on having a copy of Win 7 on USB for the downgrade. I'm assuming I'd need to do a second wipe and install to downgrade.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 25, 2016

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Thanks for answering quick. That was actually one of the smoothest transitions I've done in a while. Is there a specific thread for me to take all my lovely dumb questions about Win10, or is this it? I had everything set up juuuust right in Win7 to the point where I didn't have to worry about getting malware unless I was actively trying to, and everything was familiar. Now I'm 2 operating systems into the future and I don't know if what worked then still works now, or if I should get with the times and do something different.