Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Can I change the source of the News app's news? Or is there a good RSS reader app with a live tile?

Also, is there an easy way to get Gmail, google calendar, etc (basically all the stuff tied to my Google account that I've created on my phone) into live tiles?

I really like the idea of those tiles, but I'm not setting up everything on a second account just to fit the MS format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The past week or so I've been getting a message about Task Host Window preventing Windows from shutting down. When I do a clean boot, I don't seem to have this problem, but I'd like to figure out what's causing it. Is it even worth digging into if this Update is going to basically be a new install of the OS?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Is there a way to get rid of the "New" next to all the newly installed programs without going through and clicking all of them? I unchecked the "Show newly installed apps" but that doesn't clear the tag.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Are there any guides to making tablet mode suck a little less? Is there at least a decent keyboard app that will work like Android's and not cover up the area I'm typing in? I just bought an ASUS Transformer and I'm trying to enjoy having a touch screen.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Ever since the anniversary update, my lock screen image doesn't load on my tablet. If I actually press lock, it will be there. But if I come back a couple hours later, I have the generic blue background. Am I missing a setting that can do this?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Is there a way to force Windows not to select a display driver in normal operation? I had to switch to integrated graphics since my GPU died, and the Intel driver (it's a 3750K CPU) won't let me pick anything bigger than 1920x1080. If I boot in Safe Mode, it goes to the native 3440x1440. I've uninstalled all my display related drivers (and anything else Intel related I could find) in Safe Mode, but when I go back to normal, Windows detects my display and installs the Intel driver again.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, even installing that after wiping out any old drivers still won't let me go higher than 1080p. I've installed the drivers manually and used the Intel Driver Support Assistant. I know the basic Windows drivers suck, but I'm not planning on doing anything but internet browsing and streaming music without a graphics card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Klyith posted:

So if you try this in device manager:
1. display adapters -> intel HD whatever -> right click update driver
2. browse my computer for drivers
3. let me pick from a list
4. select microsoft basic display adapter, finish

Does that still get reset when you reboot?

It seems to be working so far. It's been about 20 minutes and hasn't reset on me yet. Thanks!

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm really sorry to hear that your GPU died, especially right now.

gently caress cyrpto miners and anti-vaxxers

Yeah, it sucks. I had a whole new machine built and was transferring my 1070 from this one to avoid that whole clusterfuck, but then it just... died.