Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I was experiencing some critical computer failures right after updating to Win 10 the first time around, which turned out to be the fault of a dying video card. But at the time, I did not know that and I spent many moons restoring, reformatting, reinstalling, etc.

Now I'm back on Win 7 Pro, with a new GPU, and I'm trying to upgrade back into 10...but twice now the Media Creator thingie Downloads, Verifies, and the starts to Clean Up, and then I get a pop up saying:

"Setup couldn't start properly. Please reboot your PC and try running Windows 10 Setup again."

I did that the first time, but have no real desire to reboot and go through it all again until I've fixed the underlying problem. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Still having the whole "Setup failed to start, reboot and try again" error, despite installing all updates, rebooting repeatedly, etc. Any advice?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jan posted:

Yeah, it was. But it wasn't failing at reboot, it was failing before that...

I did get a previous update that failed at reboot, but I think that was before I did a System Restore thinking my dying GPU was a software issue.

I spent a couple months struggling with that exact same issue. I hate it when a hardware fault develops right at the same time as you do a major software update. Makes things very hard to diagnose.