Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

d0s posted:

I swear I'm not an Apple fanboy and they're not perfect but MS really needs to start stealing from them some more

ribbons :argh:

I use a number of Apple devices, but I prefer the Microsoft approach. Then again, I have a high tolerance for UI bs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Magnus Praeda posted:

If you upgrade to 10 from an illegitimate/pirated version, 10 isn't activated as legit either. He'd be better off backing up his files and doing a clean install of 7 and upgrading from there. It shouldn't take very long even on older hardware.

This.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

andipossess posted:

Hung jury. We're going for a retrial in the coming months.

This.

For people coming from 8.1, it's an improvement with the exception of bugs and missing features that they've promised to add in later. For people coming from 7, it's a lot more hit and miss.

Edit:
New cumulative update: KB3081436

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081436

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 11, 2015

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Have you tried throwing some rice over your shoulder, restarting the computer 5 times in a row, then saying a prayer to Gates?

That or unpinning then repinning the programs in the start menu (right click on them)?

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

I actually managed to figure this out earlier while looking for a way to find my issue. It's one of those things that's hidden almost entirely because of Microsoft's "killing usability through attrition" model.

So you have Change Date and Time, and it gives you the dropdowns. But if you go back a step from that to Time & Language, and hit Additional whatever settings, you get to Control Panel\Clock, Language, and Region (or you can just open the control panel and hit that). Under Region you have "Change date, time, and number format." and you click it and there's... still dropdowns. But if you hit additional settings, then Date, you'll find a way to edit the short/long date. You can add the day of the week there:

or, alternatively,

Thanks a bunch for this. I've been using rainmeter to get the same basic functionality and this is a huge improvement.

If you use ddd instead of dddd, you'll get a 3 letter day of the week instead of the full day. Not ideal, but something of an improvement. I think you can also change the year format to double digits to save some space, by changing yyyy to yy.