Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

xylo posted:

How do :tinfoil: people deal with monitoring push notifications on mobile devices on Android or iOS... wait. Wow we're all at risk and didn't even know it.

As I said before the deliberately obstructive Windows 10 installer does not help the 'something bad is going on' perception.

Choose sensible defaults or at least fix the UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

IE is still around, it's just 'hidden' so that people stop using it - you can type Internet Explorer into Start to get a shortcut/launch it.

Changing the default browser to Edge inside the installer was a really baffling choice - even if it was actually usable as a desktop browser you still run into the issue of 'losing' all your bookmarks and history.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Photos has been separated from G+ now.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Factor Mystic posted:

Were you using any extensions in IE? Most people who use IE were not using Adblock's IE plugin, or intentionally using any other plugin I suspect. So restated, you're saying "huh, they built this new default browser which has some neat features and is noticeably faster than the old default browser but didn't ship with a replacement for barely used functionality... why the heck did they bother making it at all?? What were they thinking????" How about because it has some neat features? How about because it's noticeably faster? Why did the release have to be gated on MORE stuff?

It's lacking a lot more besides just extensions - as I've said before it would have made a hell of a lot more sense to just make the new engine available in the IE shell.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

No issue with Optimus on either of my systems on any version of Windows.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'd say the same as for any other Windows version - wait for the service pack (no it won't be called that but there will be one)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

WebDog posted:

Are other people getting duplicate icons when opening a program? For example firefox is sitting in the middle of my taskbar, but opening it creates a new icon at the end. iTunes used to do this until it updated.

Yep, got that with all sorts of apps. Unpinning and repinning the offending app seems to fix it for me.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

wookieepelt posted:

honestly I can't believe they gutted so much of the touch interface and no one in the preview program made much of a fuss about it.

There was a fuss made about it, but at the end of the day touch is so niche for Windows that it hardly matters

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

You'd have to be nuts to run the insider builds on anything but a dedicated test PC

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Ambaire posted:

I'm using 8.1, not 10, but you should be able to move windows around in 10 by dragging the title bar, unless they changed and / or hosed something up really badly. It sounds like you're occasionally trying to drag the menu bar around. Could you post a screenshot of the window in question?

The problem is the title bar is now the same colour as everything else.

You can install a theme to restore the Windows 8 look, but why it's white by default is anyone's guess

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Lum posted:

Why? MS make most of their Windows money from OEM licences and Software Assurance. If they just made it free they'd have no money coming in for Windows at all.

I don't see how that follows - no one was suggesting making SA or OEM licences free

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

It's not complicated. You just have to pay for a new key when you get a "new" computer.

For the moment you don't though - what you do need to do is jump through some extra hoops (install and activate 7, upgrade that to 10)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

If you want to get a free upgrade on a new machine, yes. That seems fair considering you're getting a $130 operating system for free.

My point is it doesn't achieve anything aside from causing user frustration.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

Most users aren't going to care.

Might as well annoy the hell out of those that do for no real reason

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

Right, except for the real reasons I mentioned in the part of the post you didn't quote.

The rest of your post was completely irrelevant.

What they may as well have done was allow activations on changed hardware for the period the free upgrade is available. Microsoft would have lost nothing by doing so.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

An App is any program on your PC - can either be a 'Trusted Windows Store App' or a normal 'Desktop app'

MSSE is called Windows Defender now and is built in

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Lum posted:

I'm a full-time home worker. My laptop was set up by IT to only be able to get updates from their server, not from Microsoft.

It only ever sees an update if I visit one of our sites.

Because of this I haven't had a security update in 3 months and since I'm not allowed to get them from Microsoft there's gently caress-all I can do about it.

You work full time from home without a VPN?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

wolrah posted:

Depending on what you do a VPN may not be necessary. I work from home and the VPN links I have set up are all purely for convenience rather than necessity. Most of my work is through Google Apps or other "cloud" type stuff.

In which case you presumably can get Windows and AV updates from outside the corporate network.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Doomsday Jesus posted:

OK, what am I missing?

Edge is garbage and not fit to be a primary browser on a desktop class system.

Just use IE/Chrome/Firefox like normal

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

The way I see it, if you're smart enough to need to defer updates, you should probably be using Windows 10 Pro.

Why?

D. Ebdrup posted:

In my experience, the vast majority of people don't need to defer updates when the computer is setup to start up at 3 in the morning (which it defaulted to, based on normal 8-16 working hours for me in Denmark, at least), install updates and then shut down again, and in fact benefit from having an up-to-date computer.

Yeah losing anything you had open. Also my HTPC never goes back to sleep after it wakes to do updates which is hugely irritating.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Now that Windows 10 doesn't shut my desktop down every 8-10 hours if I'm not using it (I figured out it was Deluge of all things causing that one), I'm considering upgrading my laptop as well. Problem being, it's a 2011 Sager with the bundle of joy that is Nvidia Optimus. Two questions:

1. Are there any issues I should be aware of regarding this and Windows 10?
2. Is it possible to just install Windows 10 in such a manner that the GTX650 (the good GPU) is the only one the computer uses? It's plugged in 99.9% of the time and the battery lasts roughly three hours if I put the thing to sleep, so it's not a real good "portable" device. Thus energy savings are not all that important to me.

You shouldn't be having any issues with Options anyway - what problem do you actually have with it?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Shlomo Palestein posted:

At this point, if I try to update the drivers for the nvidia card, I just get a bluescreen. I think this is a common issue with Optimus equipped laptops; Sager just sort of came up with the drivers, updated once a few months later, and they've been the same ever since. I *think* there's a way to "disable" Optimus by just installing the nvidia drivers in the first place. Apparently many laptops have a bios option to just disable the intel GPU, but this has no such option :(

That isn't a common issue.

While you can generally disable the Nvidia card I've never seen a modern Optimus setup where you can disable the integrated GPU.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

To get audio working properly on my Asus laptop I had to uninstall the driver Windows found, put the laptop into flight mode, install the Windows 8 driver, reboot and then reconnect to the internet.

If I didn't do the flightmode step Windows downloaded and uninstalled its own (broken) driver overriding the working one.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

How big of a download is this accursed November update?

It's really, really inconvenient when it decides to download on connection that is not only slow but also metered (yes I know you can set it to metered which I have for now but this is not an acceptable solution)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I still want it to download reasonable updates, just not massive ones.

I just don't understand how this whole update mess made it into (supposedly) release quality software

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Microsoft's idea is most people will just be upgrading an activated 8 install anyway in which case things will work.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

No Candy Crush here, but the November build did manage to break my trackpad

At least the audio is still okay, that was a pain to get working

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

dpbjinc posted:

Windows 10 itself handles scaling fine. Old Windows applications might not. I've noticed that Java apps in particular have problems. It's a consequence of Windows having to support almost everything from Windows 95 on, and it will probably only get better as legacy code dies out.

There are parts of Windows itself which are still nasty blur tests.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Khablam posted:

For the "I use .. erm .. Windoes?" demographic, this is basically the only way they will ever upgrade their OS.
Anyone more competent can just, I dunno, press no?

Have you actually tried that? It really won't take no for an answer.

Also the compatibility reports need to be taken with a huge grain of salt - on every laptop I've upgraded something hasn't worked correctly.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Gerdalti posted:

Yeah, on a domain. 20 of them are one model, higher end I5 with 16 GB of ram, Intel video. The other ten are another model, but similar specs. Pretty bog standard poo poo really.

Desktops or laptops?

Of the ten or twelve laptops I've upgraded only one (a ThinkPad T430s) worked without a hitch, the rest either had completely non-functional trackpoints/pads (various age HP EliteBooks), crashing video drivers (first gen i5/7), broken audio (newish Asus 15") or just flat out non-functional power management (my beloved AMD E-350 netbook).

No issues with desktops, but then they tend to have much less fiddly hardware.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

If you don't see anything wrong with the trackpad scroll direction arbitrarily reversing (as happen every time Windows decides to update the driver) then that's fine but it annoys the heck out of me.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

wolrah posted:

How many of the big Windows worms were zero-day or close to it? Not many I'm aware of, most of them were patched months or even years before they were widely exploited yet they still spread like wildfire because when given the choice to be lazy a lot of people will do it.

And how many of them were in trackpad or audio drivers?

Updating the system is fine by me, just leave the drivers alone

Thegrul posted:

Oh god finally, can someone link it please? (4th gen) :)

I don't think 4th gen were ever affected - never seen any crashes on my HD4600/GTX850 system

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

You can open a command prompt and type powercfg -lastwake to tell you what last woke the PC

Might not be very helpful - on my Asus it's always just 'Type: Fixed Feature Power Button' and I'm definitely sure that isn't what's actually happening.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

slidebite posted:

Can you not just type Calculator in your search window and bring up the old-school calc? Or does that only work for W8?

Yeah they 'fixed' that in 10 so now you have to use the crummy modern version.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

It doesn't really matter whether upgrades are free or not, almost all Windows revenue comes from OEMs and corporates both of which are completely unaffected by the change.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I've had a lot of driver issues with 10 on laptops - with my ThinkPad T430s and older EliteBook (a 6930p from memory) it was broken trackpad drivers that Windows Update kept reinstalling, with my newer (Haswell) Asus it was audio and on an old AMD E-350 netbook it was power management and screen brightness.

Aside from the netbook the issues were solvable but it took a lot of mucking about to get things working and there is no way someone like my mother could have figured it out.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The reason I see cited the most for not upgrading from 7/8 to 10 is driver issues and in my experience that is a completely fair criticism even coming from 8.

Trying to get audio or your trackpad working is no fun at all.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

HP and Dell do this too (other manufacturers too probably) - it's a regulatory compliance thing

Shouldn't be difficult to source a whitelisted Lenovo card though - squllions of them on ebay all the time

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

We're moving to Windows 10 laptops at work that I'll need to set up, and while I can probably get the start menu amended by our IT department for future OS images, it would be a massive time saver for now if I can manually customise the start menu to a standard template without having to delete or add every individual tile, is that possible? Is there a file or folder that I can just copy over?

Here's another fun thing to deal with - the Start Menu layout doesn't roam by design.

Also there doesn't appear to be any policy to change the default homepage and search provider in Edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

wolrah posted:

In exchange for that you get what 8 should have been, an updated UI that works well on touch and high-DPI screens but also actually makes sense for mouse users.

Lets not get carried away now - high DPI still pretty much sucks on 10