Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Dualshock 4 - can anyone tell me whether DS4s work on Windows 10 right now? All the stuff google gives me is pretty old, so I'm not sure if it still applies.

DS4Windows cant mask it as a 360 controller as easily, but it has a built in workaround. DS4s work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

if the start button isnt working in a preview build it's not going to hit the public windows 10 release because that's kind of the entire purpose behind having an insider program, to catch that poo poo before it get released.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Angela Christine posted:

Yes, except none of the buttons work, so I can't actually report this bug. As far as they know everything is fine. :toot:

You can post on the insider forums from a web browser. If they can't find a workaround it's likely to get noticed by someone who can check it out.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum?auth=1

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Switching motherboards is the one thing that windows licenses dont cover at all, so either you have to do before the upgrade time runs out and re-install 7/8, or just straight up buy a license.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

dissss posted:

How big of a download is this accursed November update?

It's really, really inconvenient when it decides to download on connection that is not only slow but also metered (yes I know you can set it to metered which I have for now but this is not an acceptable solution)

2 seconds of googling shows that it's about 3 gb. Also how is setting windows to view your connection as metered not a solution for having a metered connection

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

What's the status on windows 10 and game compatibility? I'm thinking on upgrading my new touchscreen laptop from 8.1 to 10

If it runs on 8.1 it will run on 10 and probably better.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

They are good.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Massasoit posted:

Is there a verdict on Windows 10 re: gaming? I'm on 7 ultimate now.

The vast majority of things run better, and will only get better, so unless there's a specific game you desperately want to play that doesn't work you don't lose anything from upgrading

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

If win 8 works fine, win 10 should, too.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

What's my best bet for a VM on windows 10 home? I have a couple windows 95 games I want to run that I had a vm set up for on 7, but getting 95 to work in dosbox is a huge pain in the rear end and at this point i might as well just get a vm set up again.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Morter posted:

Is there a recommended free antivirus for win 10 or, barring that, a recommended, low-impact paid AV?

Also holy poo poo @ that hack. I'm not at all savvy with classicshell or anything (just installed win10 today) but I noticed the tweet mentioned they 'also compromised audacity'? Like, the audio program? What the heck, I was just about to install that :(

windows defender is all you'll need as long as you have a solid adblocker (ublock origin) and arent randomly downloading poo poo from russia

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

i mean its HARD for the computer so turning it off will make it run faster, duh

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Theoretically, could I use WINE through Ubuntu on Windows to run windows programs that don't play nice in windows anymore? Could i ditch my half-assed VM setup finally?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Unexpected posted:

Hi,

I'm sorry if it's been asked before but is there a way to bring back old (Win 7) desktop gadgets? I have recently upgraded to Win 10 and miss my clocks, calendar, stock price tracker, RSS feed headers and various hardware monitors (CPU and GPU load/temperature, network use, etc.)

Thanks.

it turns out they were actually huge security holes for some reason (like unrestricted kernel access bad iirc) so they got pulled fom 8 and haven't come back. i think i managed to get one to stick through an upgrade, but i uninstalled it because i never used it so i don't know if there's a way to get them back.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

I have a dying hard drive with my windows 10 install on it that I want to replace with a (smaller) ssd, and just mount as a second drive to pull off whatever files I need. Do I just need to pop in the new drive, boot to some kind of USB key with the windows 10 setup poo poo on it, and then it will pull the key from the motherboard, or do I need to dig out my windows 7 key and poo poo? I do have my Microsoft account tied to my install, so is logging in to that good enough? None of the other hardware is changing, just the drives.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Is there a way to activate windows with my microsoft login but not have it name my user folder after it? I'd much prefer it to have my name instead since it's a shared computer. If the only answer is "nuke it and activate after install" I can do that, since i have to swap around hard drives soon anyway.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

I was really concerned about storage space before i got my first ssd, and then after using it for a few minutes I realized that having to half-rear end manage what I put on my pc is worth having windows boot instantly always and forever. My server still has a reasonably quick HDD in it and using it feels like molasses.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

I went to install the 2004 update and now my PC won't boot into windows, let me rollback any upgrades, or do a system restore. I'm surprised it took me this long for a windows update to actually break something.

so, uh, can an install media be used to shuffle some files around in safe mode? I have a couple things I want to back up before i :pt:

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

I ended up using a linux live USB since moving a bunch of stuff in random folders via command line sucks rear end

sadly my install is so hosed up I can't even get the option to install and keep my files. This is basically the excuse I needed to do a purge of unwanted poo poo anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Koskun posted:

I had the same thing. Went to install, ended up with a blank screen for 15 minutes, restart and it said it was working on it, then went into a boot loop. Couldn't even get it to boot from a USB, boot to Safe Mode, or get any of the recovery options to work.

I ended up disconnecting everything but my boot drive, 1 stick of memory, and I had to put in an old crappy vid card in the second PCI-E slot, once I hit that magical combination it booted. Got the memory back in, hard drives, and main vid card. Still having some small issues pop up (it froze the first time I tried to boot with a vid card in the main PCI-E slot). So far it seems to be stable, but I suspect it may have damaged my nvme, or at the least the file structure.

So yeah, I wouldn't touch this update at all if I were you.

I pulled my nvme drive and now I'm waiting for thhhis 2004 iso to download so i can give it one last try, hopefully my files are ok, it's been a while since i backed up the stuff on there.

Sadly I gave away my old video card and don't have onboard graphics, so if it's related to that, then I'm just hosed.