Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

XYZ posted:

edit: Attn: chocolateTHUNDER

Fixed what was causing my monitor to stay on despite my power settings, turns out its the "HID-compliant game controller" causing the problem. Disabled it and now everything works.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/12596-monitor-display-will-not-turn-off-4.html

What the gently caress. I noticed that my computer started showing the screen saver and turning off the display recently, after not doing so before. Now that I think about it, I likely had my Xbox 360 controller plugged in when it was not sleeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Repo Man posted:

I read from the beginning in case this was answered, but I didn't see it; I have a Hauppage TV card in my computer that I use sparingly (I only have it connected to an antenna, and can only receive a few channels), and I now need TV tuner software. Way back when I used to use the WinTV software that shipped with the card, but the original CD is long gone because I've been using WMC with it since the summer of 2009. I'd have to buy WinTV now, and I'm poor, so does anyone know of decent freeware for a TV tuner card?

I've used NextPVR before and been fine with it.

Kodi (formerly XBMC,) may also work, but it likely overkill if you need software to only watch TV off the tuner card.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

windsor posted:

Is it possible to have a password prompt at a set number of minutes after screen saver turns on, like in OS X? Or how about just when the screen powers on? (not from sleep)

It's in the Screen Saver Settings in the Control Panel, which means it hasn't been brought to the new Settings. If you search for "screen saver" in the start menu (or in Settings,) it will be the first result, and you can check the box "On resume, display logon screen." Next to it is how long you want it to wait before requiring a password.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

wolrah posted:

Another reason I just remembered which at least applied to MS accounts initially in Windows 8, not sure if it still does in 10, is that it changes my NTLM username which makes things really lovely when my home servers are all *nix. With a normal account I just use the same username/password on the server and everything works.

You could just specify a username and password when connecting to network resources? :psyduck: