Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

What gives? How can I tell if a program is capturing that input?

Clean your keyboard. Or a bit more seriously, connect an usb keyboard and see if it also happens there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Klyith posted:

a now has a standard App Permissions menu so you can turn off microphone use and also the background app setting. That makes cortana fully quit if you've turned off the cortana taskbar box. It's as good as uninstalling it, pretty much.

Cortana now is an app that can actually be uninstalled without affecting search.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

redeyes posted:

Lies. It cannot be uninstalled.

Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.549981C3F5F10 | Remove-AppxPackage

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

wolrah posted:

I also agree that it's unlikely Microsoft is explicitly adding cracks to Defender.

They do. And classify them as hack tools. Same with many nirsoft utilities. But you can easily add them to exclusions.
The reason, I think, is that the same definitions are used in business settings. And in those cases it's better to be safe than sorry.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

yeah, this particular file is classified as a hack tool. i dunno, i allowed it to quarantine it and my office seems to remain activated, i'll see what happens. the laptop doesn't really contain anything sensitive (including no website logins or anything, it's just the one i take to work to show powerpoints and stuff), so i'm not too concerned.

That tool needs to run every month or so.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Fallom posted:

The Windows 10 Mail app is refusing to show an attachment in an email sent to my Gmail account that shows up just fine in the Outlook app on my iPhone. What the heck!?

The built in mail, calendar, photos aps are crap made by interns with mental development problems. It usually happens with mail from other gmail adresses. Use Thunderbird ir any other mail client.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I'm getting tired how having to pave and clean install W10 on my 2013-era IdeaPad every six months because it consistently fails to install basic security updates for some reason.

1. Try using the official Microsoft installer. Also as you mention 6 months (when Microsoft releases the big upgrade updates) try clean installing on clean disk (remove all partitions)
2. Try not using any cleanup scripts, debloaters, antibotnets or tweakers.

As you talk about Secure Boot you probably have uefi so convert disk to gpt and use efi loader

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 9, 2020

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Klyith posted:

I'm gonna say click-bait.

That page looks like those auto-generated spam pages you get when googling for windows problems.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

October update is out, went from starting download to logging back in post-update in about two minutes, so either it's seriously lightweight or they finally sorted out the update process like people were always talking about?

Like last years october update it essentially adds a marker that switches on already existing features. Like activating dlc that's already on disk.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

GreenNight posted:

Don’t need winrar if you have 7zip.

7zip doesn't have recovery records,

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Ape Agitator posted:

Or am I misunderstanding and you can't make modifications to drive B on another device. Would drive B's files be readable on another device? Would it freak out if the two drives had differences while separated?

You are misunderstanding. Storage Spaces is a more flexible version of software RAID. And the drives are working as a set. It's not what you want.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

They should just ditch that poo poo, sponsor the OpenZFS project, to get some inertia into the Windows port, and just use that.

ZFS can use mismatched size disks? And you can grow pool by adding one disk at a time?

redeyes posted:

Thats one way to put it. I would say its rather inflexible version of software raid with poor recovery options and poor features.

R-Studio has had Storage Spaces and REFS support since Windows 8.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 12, 2021

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Also, isn't "Storage Spaces" just the same basic drive-spanning partition that has been around since at least Windows XP Pro?

No.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

biznatchio posted:

It'll flop (because it's being tied to a novel device form factor nobody's going to give a poo poo about,

The novel device form factor being "a laptop".
In theory 10x could be good. A/B partition updates. Legacy stuff runs virtualized. Unfortunately performance and experience is janky. And Crome OS already can run virtualized Android, Linux and Windows software.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

biznatchio posted:

A "laptop" with "a second screen where the keyboard should be".
They cancelled ("delayed") that form factor. Of the two devices that were supposed to launch with 10x one (Lenovo Flex) was released with standard Windows, and the other one Surface Neo was "delayed" (removed from microsoft website) and made an appearance as nonfunctional prop on Wandavision.
Windows 10X will release on devices that have one screen and one physical keyboard.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Rinkles posted:

It would be handy if you could have different wallpapers or even different shortcuts on each virtual desktop.

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/03/17/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-21337/

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Unfortunately this is just to change the wallpaper. I agree, different desktop icons/files/shortcuts would be nice too. Sometimes my kids want to use my computer and I'd prefer it if I could open a new desktop for them and not having show all the stupid crap I have installed.

Windows has had multiple user accounts for decades. Make a limited passwordless user account for them.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I always find amusing how they can fuckup a pretty basic OS feature. You would think that something like printing is a solved problem, or file sharing or search even.

Nope, always new and spectacular ways to break stuff.

Stuff you think is easy and solved is usually neither of those.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

hypnophant posted:

I discovered it’s deprecated and going away.

Source? Neither https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/deployment/planning/windows-10-removed-features or https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-10-deprecated-features mention file history.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Ambaire posted:

R-click, click the program name again. It is a bit awkward and does require a bit of finesse... wonder if some

literally just discovered that in Win10, shift-clicking a taskbar pin of an active program opens another instance of that program. holy gently caress

Or mouse middle click.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

isndl posted:

Yeah the settings search generally works, my problem with it is not knowing what Microsoft is now calling the thing I'm looking for (or if it's not showing up because it's one of the things that hasn't been ported over yet).

then search from start menu. It searches also classic control panel and descriptions of settings.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Eikre posted:

What the gently caress, exactly, does Windows 10 expect from you when you install drivers during the OS installation?

I've got this HP 17CG sitting here, I'm trying to flatten and reinstall, and I can't get the installation environment to recognize the loving SSD.

Check your bios if your drive is set to some raid mode? Quick google shows they are ssd+hdd so probably have intel rapid storage enabled. That needs separate driver.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Raygereio posted:

Is this a US-only thing, or something?
No, it's probably Home version or moon phase dependent.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
You can also bitlocker a .vhdx and you get a file that asks for password when doubleclicking.
Or if used on Home version then Veracrypt also can make a container file.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
It will be simply Windows S Mode Live .net for Workgroups Enterprise edition for Education N

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

SkyeAuroline posted:

One day.
One day I will get the OneDrive directory in win10 to stop opening itself at random on my work PC. I'd rather just kill the drat thing but I have to actually use it occasionally. Doesn't open any files or throw any notifications, just... opens the directory, sometime in the background and sometimes in the foreground. Did it again in the time it took to write this, of course, without any key input at all on the computer in question.
Been using Windows since 98 and never before had this "directory opens itself at random" issue, nor had it on any other win10 computer, and no amount of troubleshooting OneDrive itself has done anything.

It's not even really a problem, just annoying as poo poo. Much like most of 10's differences from 7.

That's not supposed to happen. I would suggest uninstalling and then reinstalling OneDrive.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Windows 8.1 Update was the one that made things better not just 8.1

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

hahaha I had the same, you would think removing the check from the list removes the weather thing like all the other taskbar related things right? Nope you actually have to check "Turn off".

Consistency.

It's the same as search. Only reversed.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

I guess I spotted it right in the stream.

Remove quick access buttons from title bar. Good idea. Nobody uses them. :airquote:

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Microsoft once again forgot that the OS has to actually *do something* instead of just be pretty for the lowest common denominator. But at least the design team really 'obsessed over every single pixel'. That will definitely make it functional...

How many apps do you use at any time? The main ones are pinned to taskbar. The rest are launched by pressing START button and typing a few letters.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Welp that's my desktop CPU lol

e: my 2017 Surface Pro's CPU isn't on here either so I dunno..

Check if you have disabled virtualization in uefi. Also that tool shows that my 21H1 is actually 2009 so...

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Yes, if you have a setup that is equally functional on a tablet or even a phone, then I guess the new Start Menu is fine. But I don't need a phone. I need a computer. Preferably one that does things better than a phone. Even if Start Search wasn't busy being lovely more than half the time, the reality is that a lot of common search results will bring up duplicate results, which may or may not be distinguishable in the search box.

This is super fixable. Just give me the option to revert back to a Start Menu that wasn't built for babby. MS can totally have their 'simple, beautiful, elegant, pixel-ful' UX as long as I can have my UX that actually does things.

You are already using an alternative start menu, continue doing that.
And what does pressing hardware windows button and typing letters on hardware keyboard followed by pressing hardware enter has to do with touch/tablets or phones?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Overriding the Start Menu is predicated on certain developer features existing inside the OS. They exist in Windows 10. They might not exist in Windows 11 because Windows 11 has structurally changed the Start Menu behind the scenes.

It's a floating button with a menu.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Klyith posted:

All you folks making fun of them, you realize that is what your future looks like? A giant list of everything you have installed, with no way to put the rarely used apps in folders that get them out of the way.
Most often used stuff is pinned to taskbar. Less used in start menu as icons. Rest under all apps or search in oter words out of the way.

doctorfrog posted:

I wonder, how do you browse your local catalog of software in Windows 11? Say you've forgotten the name of an app, and it's not on your taskbar or desktop. Or you just want to see what's installed. Are they going to unite the Add/Remove or "Apps & features" list with a launcher?
You press start and there they are.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 25, 2021

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

This does not scale to 'several dozen apps'

Screenshots show that you can pin several dozen apps plus you get all apps screen.
And if you need categories there are hundreds if not thousands of launchers to choose from.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Which is hilarious, because then the Home edition runs the hypervisor anyway, but Microsoft just doesn't let you do virt-things with it unless you pony up for Pro.

WSL2 works on Home versions.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Saw someone claiming MS is pushing for TPM because it makes it easier to spy on users, enforce software licenses, and manage and enforce DRM by any application. any basis to that?

Starting with Windows Vista you can't play DRM free videos, at least according to articles that were published before Vista release.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Klyith posted:

a. Say Office was using it, does that mean it is good? The office team made UWP versions of stuff for Office Mobile and UWP sucked.
UWP Onenote is better than the original one.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

isndl posted:

Have they reached feature parity yet? There was a bunch of stuff missing as of a couple years ago, an equations editor being one and I think some OCR stuff was another.

IIRC two years ago (when they announced restarting of Classic OneNote updates) they mentioned something about a big canvas update. https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/7/20953691/microsoft-onenote-to-do-integration-fluid-framework-future-features-ignite-2019. But all that is either cancelled or severely delayed for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

wolrah posted:

As far as I'm aware the list is just those CPUs that have TPM 2.0 built in, systems with external TPM or chipset-based TPM will also work officially, and there will also be bypasses for OEMs that will inevitably leak to the rest of us.
Source? Official messaging is that those are the only CPUs that will have support for 11. At best they might add gen7 Intel. It's not only TPM but also other cpu features. And that list is most definitely being pushed by the OEMs to sell new systems.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 9, 2021