Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Supradog posted:

If your sound is not working in 5.1 mode with optical spdif it is a known bug.

Good, its not just me

Funny, having trouble making my desktop stay in sleep mode, one of the power requests is from "USB audio device"...there is no USB audio device

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Oh yeah, whats up with file permissions? I wiped everything and did a clean install, so I don't know why this is happening. But I notice when trying to save a pic off the internet it says I don't have permission to save in My Pictures? Wtf? I tried taking a screenshot yesterday and the screen dimmed but nothing saved. Might be of consequence that my name under c:/users/[name] has a 2 added to the end for some reason.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm curious, how many of you having all these quirky issues did clean installs? I did on my desktop, I just went with the upgrade on the surface as there wasn't much on it anyway, and I'm still running the preview on the laptop. Aside from the 5.1 audio thing on the desktop I've had no concerns. I like it but I didn't really think 8.1 needed any upgrading, 7=Xp=garbage as far as I'm concerned.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Seems to be a variety bugs surrounding audio, 5.1 via optical cable still isn't working though they are aware of this and working on a fix.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Dualshock 4 - can anyone tell me whether DS4s work on Windows 10 right now? All the stuff google gives me is pretty old, so I'm not sure if it still applies.

I've picked up two PS3 controllers lately for $10 a piece, there is a great tool called SCP (sonic? crush? productions? I forget) that doesn't require any config, just install and plug in your PS3 controller and way to go. It even allows for Bluetooth but I haven't fooled around with it enough to make that work.

You can grab it here

codo27 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 28, 2015

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

One of these days when I open a new tab in Edge and nothing happens when I start typing I'm going to loving burn the whole block down. YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO CLICK THE ADDRESS BAR FIRST

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

xamphear posted:

Don't use Edge?

I don't even know why I do really. It looks pretty but I hate not having context actions

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The freeware thread is archived soooo

Movie maker isn't a part of 10 and isn't ~officially supported~ I'm gonna use it anyway but is there anything else out there I might consider as a replacement? Not that I need much in the way of extra features

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wondering why my settings in bf4 wouldn't save, and previously I noticed when trying to save an image off the internet I didn't have permission to save into my pics. During Windows install I told it to make my default pictures directory on my slave to save space on the SSD, but I told it to keep My Docs on the main drive as its not much of a drain anyway. Turns out the lot of it is on read only for some reason, that's why my settings wont save, and when I go into properties and change it, it still stays on read only when I check again. gently caress.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whoa! So I thought I found the fix to my read only issue, but when I changed the folder ownership all of a sudden everything went to hell. I rebooted, twice, but now every time I click on edge it just instantly crashes, start button does nothing, nor does Cortana or the notification hub. I can get into IE but it seems anything tied to the new UI is out. Yayyyy

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Okay I'm being thrown for a loop here and I hope someone can clear this up. The new Forza game is now on the Windows store (in beta) but I cant download it, it says I have to upgrade Windows. I'm running 10 pro x64, I always keep it updated. I checked the build and its build 10240. The store entry mentions version 1511, but I cant even seem to find what version I'm running, just the build appears when I try ver from cmd or winver from run. My rig is more than capable of running whatever is out there so thats not it. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Doing that now. Not sure why it missed the november update, I'm a stickler for keeping things updated

Edit: yay blue screen while updating with clock watchdog timeout message! :D

Edit again: recovered from that, tried again but it's hanging on 25%/86% copying files. Failed the first time in safe_OS install recovery environment phase.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 10, 2016

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Anyone having trouble with the upgrade assistant slowing around 70% completion? Jesus it zipped through that far but its at 84% now and took considerably longer to get to that point even. Last night it was at 99% and stayed there overnight.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Tell me someone has come up with a dependable solution to the Windows 10 upgrade slowing to a halt once it gets to about 80% and above

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Housh posted:

Is Windows Defender enough or should I use Symantec Endpoint Protection. I noticed Symantec turns off Defender when installed.

Just wondering here if anyone out there thinks any Symantec products should still be in use? Used to be all the rage back in the XP days for me but ever since MSE/Defender I haven't used anything else.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Here's something I've been wondering. At what point during the upgrade process does it bake in the license? Does anyone know? Occasionally I'll encounter machines where the upgrade just hangs halfway through, have an Acer here right now thats just hanging on the Acer boot logo after the ~30% reboot during the blue screen stage of the install. Restarting just fails to recover the installation and reverts to 8. I wanna try a clean install from USB but I'm thinking it'll just tell me its not activated.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Does the same go for 7? Would save me a lot of time

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

nvm I'm an idiot.

Win7 key worked and on the aforementioned 8 system it didn't ask for a key at all and activated automatically. Maybe the guy reverted. He does have nascar posters up and mutton chops.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 21, 2017

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

In your opinion, how much difference is there between a keep-nothing upgrade to W10 and a proper clean install from media?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Umm. i5 to AMD? :shrug: I'm done with ASUS man, as far as components go. Their software is awful.

Am I the only techy/goon/power user who doesn't use VLC? I relied on the klite codec pack forever with MPC, I dont even bother with it anymore now with Kodi.

So MS tweeted yesterday that you can drag the edges of your start menu to adjust the size. I did not know that.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

People really still gonna defend CCleaner after the latest fiasco?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So are there any actual useful applications for the phone link feature?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Dylan16807 posted:

Oh in that case you're set for life. That computer is permanently bestowed with windows 10 home. (Or whatever is on it right now) The original key is dust in the wind.

Yeah CD keys are now like floppy disks. Also never use the manufacturer recovery option, always make your own with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool (and refresh it every so often, like when new major updates are released). When things go to hell and you want to make things like new, make it even better than new and cut out the factory bloatware using this method. Another reason you might wanna look on the MS store when you are looking for a laptop, buy Signature Edition when you can. Not always a lot of deals there but sometimes there are great ones. Last christmas my friend was looking for laptops for his kids and these Dells with 17" 1080p touch screens, i5/8gb/1tb were 499, regular 949 (CDN).

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I know from a security standpoint its a bad idea but for the purposes of my own desktop PC is there a way I can make it stop asking me for permission to do poo poo on my own computer?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

My start button stopped working just yesterday afternoon, and most of the buttons pinned to my taskbar vanished as well. I checked Windows update and had a cumulative update to download, which fixed the button but reset my live tiles back to default. 😒 Which wouldn't be so bad if there was a simple way to backup and restore the layout.

I'm up to date and in the insider ring but my start button also isn't working. Nothing has vanished and everything else worked, concerned it was maybe a virus but I dunno. Tried an offline scan which seemed to not actually scan at all though it did reboot, and while I can scan from within Windows, the scan wont start if I try from safe mode. Strange.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Here's the kicker, gf has a login on my desktop, start menu pops up fine for her. Still wont for me, I thought maybe after rebooting it would cause when she logged in she got the "Hi, we have updates for you" screen but nope, still nada for me.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So after my issues above I shut down this machine as I was going out of town for a couple days. Get back this evening, turn it on, boot loops. Wasn't even getting the Windows logo part of the boot process, just looped and looped after BIOS. Yay! No more insider ring for me

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Assisitive upgrade is out, Win7 key worn off this HP I have here now. Magic jelly bean only recovers the generic 4FG99 key thats been blocked, so what can I do to get it updated legit?

Secondly, all my gear is pretty good, at least i5/8gb/SSD so everything is snappy, but are there any actual optimization tricks that can be done to improve things under the hood, especially for lesser hardware?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

bobfather posted:

the fact that Windows 10 is a soul-sucking downgrade compared to Windows 7.

Sitting there clinging to Windows 7 believing its better in any way than 10 is the same as the NRA clinging to the second amendment thinking its sensible in 2018

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've only experienced one nagging issue with Windows 10 since build 1709. It's that bug where the Start menu will bug out graphically and you have to reboot to fix it. :shrug: Granted, I saw non-stop issues with every prior build but so far 1709 has been fairly stable for me.

I've seen this a lot of the way, only after exiting full screen games though. Dont recall it happening lately though

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cheapest non sketchy place to grab an activation key these days? I see an abundance on ebay listed as Windows 10 keys, I assume they are just 7 keys listed as 10 for visibility? Only 5 bucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is there a simple webcam recorder out there that will let me choose the audio input device?