Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Since this is a new thread, I guess i'll ask here again:

Anyone find a fix for Windows 10 not putting monitors to sleep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

GreenNight posted:

Someone said it was a bug in Teamviewer, so if you have that, uninstall and see if that helps.

No Teamviewer installed, thanks though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

XYZ posted:

Ya this is the only problem I'm having with Windows 10 right now. I've found that my monitor will turn off if I'm signed out however. It's not a perfect solution but it'll do until they fix it.

Hmm, this is interesting. I'll test this out. I can't really sign out of my PC when I'm away from it though since I run a Plex server and they apparently don't know how to make it run as a service in the background or whatever and I have to stay logged in to actually run Plex Media Server (or something like that according to what I found on :google: awhile back).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

MaxxBot posted:

I was offered the free upgrade from within Windows 7 but I kept getting errors when I tried to upgrade to Windows 10. I stupidly wiped my 7 install and did a clean install of 10, which I was unable to activate because my old Windows 7 key didn't work. I wiped again and installed Windows 7 again, and now I no longer see the upgrade offer. Is there no hope of getting the free upgrade at this point?

Use the media creation tool:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

croutonZA posted:

Is your lock screen set to show a picture or slideshow? If it's the latter, you could poke around Settings > Personalisation > Lock Screen > Advanced Slideshow Settings. There's some settings in there to do with turning off your screen.

Nope, it's set to the default "Windows Spotlight"

XYZ posted:

Ya this is the only problem I'm having with Windows 10 right now. I've found that my monitor will turn off if I'm signed out however. It's not a perfect solution but it'll do until they fix it.

edit: Just tried uninstalling Teamviewer, no change.

Actually logging out of my name made the monitors go to sleep! This isn't really a good solution for me though because of the aforementioned Plex Media Server I have to run on this PC :( I wonder if there are any more hidden settings where I can set the PC to turn off monitors even when I'm logged in?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Da Mott Man posted:

Power settings should give you the ability to set a period of inactivity that will turn your monitors off.

e: This should turn Plex into a service https://github.com/cjmurph/PmsService

Yeah they're set to turn off after 10 minutes in power settings. I'll check out the github link when I get a chance.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Fufo posted:

This has been reported by several nVidia users, too. So the cause might be the giant turd they released.

Interesting. Maybe I'll try reinstalling my Nvidia drivers later.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

XYZ posted:

edit: Attn: chocolateTHUNDER

Fixed what was causing my monitor to stay on despite my power settings, turns out its the "HID-compliant game controller" causing the problem. Disabled it and now everything works.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/12596-monitor-display-will-not-turn-off-4.html

I just wanna say thanks for this. Disabling this fixed my issue. I guess it's related to my Logitech joystick I have plugged in? Such a weird issue, but I'm glad you found this and pointed me to it :)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

njsykora posted:

So I figure this is a good place to ask. I get internet on my PC by tethering it to my tablet but my W10 machine yesterday just stopped recognising the connection saying "Ethernet 2 doesn't have a valid IP configuration". Everything else on the network (tablet itself, phone, Xbone) connects fine except my PC tether. I looked up a few guides but none of them managed to fix it.

You didn't happen to update to the latest insider build did you? Microsoft said tethering is broken in that build and they know about it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

The Iron Rose posted:

Anyone try to install this on a HP stream 11 with 32 gigs of space? if so how did it go?

Actually, someone did do that in this thread before. I think they stated they had like 300mb of free space left after the update :v: they were able to get it above 10GB after they deleted the old windows install though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Dualshock 4 - can anyone tell me whether DS4s work on Windows 10 right now? All the stuff google gives me is pretty old, so I'm not sure if it still applies.

They work just fine on Windows 10. I use my ds4 and a program. Called ds4tool to do the trick.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

dpbjinc posted:

Important feature for this build:

gently caress yes, this is awesome.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

serebralassazin posted:

Is this update available via Windows update?

Someone in this thread said it was, but I'm not seeing it. Probably a staged rollout for obvious reasons.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Haven't gotten the big November update yet. Is there any way to force it to download through windows update? I know I can download the media creation tool and do it through that, but I'm weird and don't want to :v:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

FronzelNeekburm posted:

It turns out the answer was no, that's not normal. Disabled antivirus and re-ran the update, and now it gets into the actual installer part, blue screens with a :( error that says it's going to automatically reboot but never does, and when I manually restart, it rolls the update back.

I tried updating from the ISO, and I get the same, except that it reports after it failed that

Some digging around suggests it might be barfing while updating drivers or something. Get-WindowsUpdateLogs produces some output mostly filled with lines like "Unknown( 27): GUID=31ca3cef-8afe-c510-1cb4-36acd097dd79 (No Format Information found)."

Is there any information buried in the system that can narrow this down?

I got an error very similar to this (SAFE_BOOT) and I solved it by updating the BIOS on the machine I was having trouble with.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Lum posted:

Another question. Is there any way to stop Win10 using the boot logo stored in the BIOS and either revert to standard, disable it or customise it. The disable boot logo option in WinAero tweaker doesn't work unless you also disable UEFI which I don't really want to do.

I don't mind it on my GF's tablet as the Asus logo doesn't look too bad, but on my Clevo laptop has this horrible "Style Note" logo.

Most BIOS/UEFI's have an option to turn the custom boot logos on and off.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I just realized that I haven't gotten that big November update on my PC yet.

I guess I could download the tool and do it manually but...I feel like I shouldn't have to.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

DeaconBlues posted:

I spent the best part of three hours this afternoon trying to set up a VPN on my mother's brand new Windows 10 installation. The idea was that I'd use the VPN to pop some mkv/mp4 downloads into her Plex watch folder. She's getting an OLED TV on Thursday and pretty excited about it.

After twatting about with Win 10 firewall and port forwarding 1723 and 47 I gave up. Should I just set up a SpiderOak account for her and use that to sync my movie download directory with her Plex folder? I don't fancy using Dropbox for commercially available stuff. I'm about 4 miles away from her place and use only Linux boxes on my local net.

Bittorrent sync sounds perfect for this.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm thinking of taking the leap and jumping from windows 8.1 to 10 Tonight, is windows 10 still a buggy nightmare? is there a risk of losing everything? or is it safe to upgrade nowadays?

It's safe, I'd just do it. Backup your important poo poo first just to make sure but it's probably not needed.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

me your dad posted:

I can't get my Surface Pro to stop requiring a password when waking.

When I run netplwiz I see two User Names which are the same. Is this a duplicate, and could it cause problems? What would happen if I removed one of them?

Do you happen with have a work exchange email account in the mail app? If you do, it could be your works security settings.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I still have not got the November 1511 update pushed to me through windows update. Does anyone else find that completely bizarre? I got windows 10 the day it came out so I shouldn't be under that 30 day rule.

Guess I'll just use the tool, finally...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Something in my system was causing problems with the install process, so 1511 would try, fail, revert, and wait until later. I didn't notice until a few weeks later when I used the tool and it kept crashing during the first step after reboot. Wound up having to yank out all the peripherals and extra drives until after it completed.

At least you've had it pushed to you. I'll finally fire up the tool next weekend I guess.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm not sure what the terminology is called but I left my computer on overnight to download things and this morning it had turned itself off (after finishing the downloads). I was unable to wake it back up with my keyboard and had to press the power button which brought the computer back to the Windows log in screen.

How do I disable this behavior or at least make it so my keyboard can wake it up?

I know my BIOS/UEFI has options to allow USB peripherals to initiate wake/boot. I'd look there.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Khablam posted:

Gaming wise 10 > 8.1=7
They all perform within a margin of error, but 10 will get DX12 and push it ahead.

I can tell you that all C&C games run on 10, but you need to do manual config edits for widescreen in Generals.

Does Tiberian sun and RA2 run on 10? I know on 8 they were pretty broken.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Veotax posted:

I'm doing a major update to my computer next week (new MB, CPU and RAM) and I just want to be sure that Windows 10 is going to play nice, I remember people saying poo poo about not being able to transfer your license between computers around launch and I imagine that an update this big will count as a 'new' computer. Is any of that true?

I updated from Win 7, non-OEM disc-in-box version.

Dead Goon posted:

Upgrade to Windows 10 using your Windows 7 key on your new hardware.

Yup, you'll have to use the media creation tool to make an ISO of the latest windows build (the older builds won't auth against old keys, but the newer builds will) so you can use your windows 7 key, but otherwise you should be fine.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Zero VGS posted:

So, uh, does the Anniversary Update still require one of those 30-minute update cycles that renders the PC useless? Or in their year of planning have they maybe actually gotten it to upgrade within Windows Update with just a normal reboot required?

Is this really that big of a deal? It's basically like one of those yearly macOS updates and those take about the same time to complete also...same for iPhone and Android updates to big new versions...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Ever since upgrading to Anniversary edition, my Start menu sometimes stops working if I'm logged in and idle for a long time. The bar with the power/sign off and sign on options still work, and so does search. The program list and tiles do not, however. Anyone else experience this?

Rebooting my PC or logging out and back in again solves the problem.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Arsten posted:

Does it last long? It sounds like a paging issue which, if it is, should rectify itself in about 10-12 seconds, depending on the speed of your various computer bits.

As far as I can tell, it never starts working again until I either restart the PC, or log out/back in. I'm running the OS on an SSD and a 1 TB Regular HDD for media and games and poo poo.

E: Actually, it started working again without a restart. Took over an hour though.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 16, 2016

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Just a heads up for anyone experiencing this: the latest Nvidia drivers have a bug where it fucks with the start menu and mail app. Start menu icons freeze while re-arranging them, and the mail app crashes when you open an email.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

MutantBlue posted:

They've quickly released new 375.63 hotfix drivers that claim to fix both bugs.

Yeah, just installed it. Mail app seems fine now.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Khablam posted:

Win+R , netplwiz , disable the obvious box and set the credentials you want it to use.

You can still Win+L to lock if you're walking away, set PW to run after screensavers etc if you want to avoid casual desktop access.

This isn't a good solution, because it stores your password in plaintext in the registry.

I think there's a tool by Microsoft that will do the same thing, but in a secure way. Forgot what it's called though. :google: should help there.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Khablam posted:

Win+R , netplwiz , disable the obvious box and set the credentials you want it to use.

You can still Win+L to lock if you're walking away, set PW to run after screensavers etc if you want to avoid casual desktop access.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This isn't a good solution, because it stores your password in plaintext in the registry.

I think there's a tool by Microsoft that will do the same thing, but in a secure way. Forgot what it's called though. :google: should help there.

nielsm posted:

It's not entirely password-free, but you can enable the PIN code logon, it's definitely faster than password. You can also turn off screen lock after wake from sleep/etc.

I found the tool, it's literally just called "autologon" lol:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/autologon.aspx

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

The Gunslinger posted:

Is there an Easy Transfer replacement for Windows 10? I have a buddy who doesn't have all of his favorites/contacts/etc in the cloud yet and wants all of his old stuff swapped over. Easy Transfer used to be great for this kind of tedious crap.

I would like to know this also.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is it possible to upgrade a Windows 10 Home laptop to Windows 10 Pro? Maybe using the accessibility thing (I actually DO use the magnifier since I have low vision :v:)?

Yes, you can actually do it right from the system menu in the control panel I believe.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
They might be referring to this:

http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/State-computers-locked-up-during-overnight-12272790.php

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
1709 nuked my RSAT tools on my work laptop. Otherwise, pretty smooth upgrade.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

At least the dude is making it open-source. Hopefully people will pick up the torch.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I installed Windows 10 Pro on a new system I built this week, and the option in the Windows 10 Mail app to sync my items "As they arrive" is gone. It's there on my previous computer, so...what's up with that? Using it with gmail.

E: Nevermind. I checked again and now it's there :tinfoil:

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 26, 2018

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

CFox posted:

Anyone here have experience with LTSB? My dad's wanting a new laptop but he's out in the country and has awful slow satellite internet with daily and monthly bandwidth caps. I thought about using LTSB minimize non-security updates and keep things the same so I don't get calls about why everything has changed after a feature update.

Pretty sure there's a setting for metered internet in windows 10. I really wouldn't stick your dad on LTSB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

There's some goofy stuff vendors can do to embed software in to UEFI. Whatever did that was 3rd party and not MS.

What the gently caress