Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Updated to 1809 on two of my computers. Went smoothly, Microsoft is getting better at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

wolrah posted:

I'm trying to force an update from 1803 to 1809 and Windows Update is claiming I'm up to date. Are there any other ways to force it or am I at the whim of the cloud unless I do a fresh install (which is getting tempting, this install dates back to RTM).

You should be able to download the updated 1809 media creation tool, and update through that.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Cheesus posted:

Picked up a new SSD drive to replace one of my secondary non-SSD drives. Figured it couldn't take more than 10 minutes to replace and reboot.

An hour later of the system refusing to boot and removing everything and re-adding everything, it dawned on me: When I freshly installed Windows 10 two, maybe even three years ago, it installed the boot loader on...the secondary non-SSD drive? :wtc:

Thankfully EasyBCD was there to move the boot to C.

This is why I always turn off the Sata ports for my extra drives in the UEFI/BIOS before I install Windows.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Darth Llama posted:

I purchased a refurbished motherboard and reused an SSD from a previous PC (with a licensed W10 install). During installation I erased the original partition to do a new install, but after the install it apparently had already activated Windows. Did it somehow carry over a license from the SSD or did it pull the hash from the refurb motherboard?

Pulled one from the motherboard. Consider yourself lucky, I guess?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Upgraded to 1903 on 3 computers. No issues so far...on each of them I downloaded the update tool and disconnected USB drivers before i updated though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Snuffman posted:

So is it just not possible to update to 1903 from a USB? Has Microsoft acknowledged the whole "cant upgrade cause there's a USB device plugged in" is a bug?

I had the 1903 update refusing to update with a USB wireless dongle plugged in. :psyduck:

I resorted to just installing from the update tool instead.

I ran the update tool. I meant I disconnected and USB drives before I ran it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Ghostlight posted:

Your IT team can turn that off.

Yeah, I'm in charge of the client side rollout of O365 at my job, and I turned teams off.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
You can also just get a Windows 10 Pro key on ebay for like $5. Whenever I put together a system, this is usually what I do. I mean, it's less than the cost of lunch!

Never had a problem with it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

tight aspirations posted:

Patchmypc is pretty good for that.

This program is so funny because when someone tells you about it, it definitely sounds like one of those sketchy rear end "automatic driver updater!" programs that totally loads your PC with all sorts of malware and poo poo. Even kinda looks like rear end. But it's actually a good program!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
We use the official windows wireless display adapter at work in multiple conference rooms, and we've found that they work great. Like....surprisingly so. This is across multiple different makes and models of laptops and surfaces.