Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Magnus Praeda posted:

If you upgrade to 10 from an illegitimate/pirated version, 10 isn't activated as legit either. He'd be better off backing up his files and doing a clean install of 7 and upgrading from there. It shouldn't take very long even on older hardware.

That's not true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

No dumbass, it isn't. I just upgraded a bunch of lovely Chinese laptops with fake Windows at work and they all activated just fine.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Volcott posted:

How do I get Windows 10 to stop offering me an Office 365 trial?

Buy Office 365.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
Just use Ubuntu since it's the year of linux on the desktop.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Lum posted:

Any way to make it not flash the power light when hibernating, short of unplugging the cable?

Asus p6t deluxe if it matters. Computer is 2 rooms away from the bedroom but still flashes bright enough to keep me awake.

A piece of electrical tape.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

GreenNight posted:

That's just an rear end in a top hat thing to say. "Use a different OS". OK yeah let me quit my Windows admin gig and go full linux because I dislike how Microsoft is pushing loving Candy Crush down on each user without me having to gently caress around with the registry.

If you're still having problems with Candy Crush, you weren't a good Windows admin anyways.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
Why are you trying to run 3 monitors off of a tablet?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
I for one am shocked that a piece of Oracle software is broken.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Massasoit posted:

Is there a verdict on Windows 10 re: gaming? I'm on 7 ultimate now.

Skyrim runs better on Win 7 than 10 because of some dumb poo poo Microsoft did to old DirectX versions but that's the only thing I've heard about.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Skyrim is a pile of farm twine and duct tape disguised as code shoved out by notoriously rigorous* game** developer*** Bethesda Softworks. You probably shouldn't be using it to judge how well Windows does a thing.

That's like me saying Saints Row 2 is a good basis to slag Windows 7 for its CPU timing bug. It's true (and it only affects SR2 in 7 - Vista/8/10 are all good) but there's enough other problems with the game that I'd have to be stupid to build an argument off of it.

I'm just answering his question, chill the gently caress out.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

wormil posted:

Well, it's okay. A lot of bugs have been worked out but new kinks keep showing up, at least for me. I've been using it for some time but mostly I'm curious about the 10,000+ blogs claiming that W10 is a virus/spyware/malware/baby raper. I ignore that stuff but there is mountains of it and it's getting to the point where it comes up in casual conversation. Whoever is encouraging/writing/pushing all this anti-MS stuff are doing an excellent job at convincing people not to upgrade.

A lot of people bring up Bush doing 9/11 too.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

wormil posted:

No I was talking about real people.

Me too. :smith:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Discombobulator posted:

Is it normal for the Media Creation Tool to sit at "Creating Windows 10 media: 50%" for two hours?

Windows 10 is still only about 50% finished so that checks out.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

loquacius posted:

How long does it take after you sign up for Insider builds for your computer to actually receive an Insider build? I changed the setting a couple hours ago and no matter how many times I click Check For Updates I'm not getting anything yet :saddowns:

It takes a few days. Some Microsoft intern is manually typing your account name into an Excel spreadsheet.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Space Cadet posted:

I just would have preferred to schedule the upgrade for when I could have properly backed up my system, wiped the drive and did a clean install

And they gave you 8 months to do this, which you chose not to do.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

fishmech posted:

They did not do that, because all the companies involved had great infrastructure.

Level3's infrastructure is hot garbage.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

With Windows 10, you can navigate the start menu twice as quickly!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
It's because it's making room for your VM too.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Worst of all, there aren't any symbols for the latest release on their public server, so I can't even check the memory dumps what's loving up.

And it doesn't even restart on its own after a BSOD, even though the option is enabled.

Good god, Microsoft!

It's almost like you're testing a preview version or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

eXXon posted:

I had about 1GB free on a 55GB system partition on an SSD. I figured that would be more than enough when I originally installed Windows 8 a few years ago

That was a stupid decision then and now, but sure, keep whining about how it's Microsoft's fault.