Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You have a gace period with full functionality before it locks down. There will be a timer displayed on the desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Cojawfee posted:

You can just install 7 with the new hardware, do the upgrade to 10 and then fresh install with a 10 ISO. It might take longer but you get a clean 10 install.

Or you just do a win10 reset/refresh.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Stanley Pain posted:

I think you meant to say BSD. :tipshat:

Not on the desktop. :tipshat:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

dissss posted:

I'd say the same as for any other Windows version - wait for the service pack (no it won't be called that but there will be one)

I believe the new term is Service Release.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
There's always thunderbird but the notifier never worked right for me.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Jan posted:

You'd think they'd take the loving hint. :shepicide:

This is my work computer, assholes. Stop hassling me.

FYI optional updates are not automatically installed.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

pandaK posted:

It was cheaper and I never use the first party players so I thought it would be worth it. In retrospect, it isn't, since my Firefox still refuses to recognize media formats even after installing the Windows media package.

For 32 bit firefox try VLC. 64 bit firefox has barely flash.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

redeyes posted:

look at this piece of poo poo: http://thehackernews.com/2015/12/windows-encryption-key-backup.html
Would surprise me if anything in that stupid article is true.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/12/microsoft-may-have-your-encryption-key-heres-how-to-take-it-back/

quote:

To combat that, device encryption stores a recovery key. For domain accounts, the recovery key is stored in Active Directory, but in the common consumer case, using a Microsoft account, it is instead stored in OneDrive. This recovery key can be used after, say, a motherboard replacement or when trying to recover data from a different Windows installation.

It may be true that Microsoft has the decryption keys to your encrypted hard disk if you bought a PC with Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 preinstalled, if it supports device encryption (we still come across machines that for one reason or another don't support it or need reconfiguration to support it), and if you use a Microsoft account to log into Windows. But it isn't a security disaster that they do, and if you aren't happy that they do, it takes no more than a couple of minutes to delete the copy of the key they hold and then update your system to render their key useless. This can be done on any Windows version, even Home.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Oh, btw if you are mad about that Microsoft online password thing but use Chrome: Google knows all your passwords because by default Chrome just uses your account password for sync. You have to set a separate one so google can't just read it.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You can use https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10 to turn off various telemetry features and functions from a single point.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

slidebite posted:

Holy smokes, you can use that to pick whether you want the forced driver updates and stuff? :monocle:

Don't ask me if that works on Home.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I just realised System Restore wasn't enabled by default. There MS has a useful feature and doesn't turn it on.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You did open a prompt with administrative rights?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

spanko posted:

Am I not finding the option or is there no way to setup automatic system image backups to an external (USB) drive in Windows 10? I do a manual backups for myself but this is for a paranoid person who is bad at computers. If this isn't possible in Windows 10 can anyone recommend a free or cheap, easy to use backup to external drive solution? It needs to be a full system image backup and automatic/scheduled.

Try Macrium Reflect Free.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Half the time it will also just stop doing copy/paste.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Looks like the installer got quite confused.
What you do is delete every single one of these things in the installer and then just click next.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Plus Windows 10 can get stuck on the driver install part (32% main, 6% features and drivers) that cost you hours because you have to hit reset upon which Windows will roll back the changes. And that turns into a cycle until you remove and turn off everything.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Node posted:

Why is Windows 10 locking me out of my other hard drives? I can't find any pattern. Some folders require Administrator access and I have to click Ok every. single. time. to access them. Then there are files that I am outright not allowed to use, with an error message saying I don't have the permissions to access the file. These drives had absolutely no permissions set, whatever that means, nor did I restrict anything behind Administrator.

How do I get rid of this nonsense?

Take ownership and replace all permissions.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You can access the old scaling without resorting to registry tweaks.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5990-dpi-scaling-level-displays-change-windows-10-a.html

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
If you want to have "Open Bash Here" in Explorer, make a .reg containing:

code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Bash]
@="Open Bash Here"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Bash\command]
@="C:\\Windows\\System32\\cmd.exe /c cd %1 && C:\\windows\\system32\\bash.exe"

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Last Chance posted:

Please post trigger warnings for Registry hacks before you post them, thank you

What for? Windows does them for free.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

chippy posted:

Haha ok, sounds like Microsoft speak for "we're actually going to make this one standards compliant" without having to admit that IE isn't.

Being webkit compliant is not the same as standards compliant.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Segmentation Fault posted:

Yeah I realize that now, I was inaccurate in that post. It's meant to be a workalike, I guess sort of like how GNU/Linux is a workalike of Unix.

The term is CLONE.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Last Chance posted:

For anyone else you live with that has to hear it on the other hand..

There are non-clicky ones. :ssh:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
If you had a Win8 install upgraded to Win10 but rolled back the install, does a direct install of Win10 on the same computer work?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Very good, thanks.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Supradog posted:

I'm wondering if anyone know of a setting to get windows to restart after a update on boot up, not shut down? I turn off my pc every night and I've noticed that if there is any patches waiting to be installed I need to manually turn it on twice in the morning. It will start up, patch and then shut down, not just restart.

Under Windows Update, advanced options there should be a setting that does auto-login, for updates try that.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
A cool and good solution to get a "bash here" prompt in Explorer that works perfectly.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/60125-open-bash-window-here-context-menu-add-windows-10-a.html

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

bigis posted:

I want to control my PC remotely with the iOS Microsoft RDP client. Is it a bad idea to port forward? What precautions should I take?

Make sure you are using the highest security settings and a decent password and you should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Craptacular! posted:

Does 10 have anything resembling System Restore?

I just need to erase 48 hours from my system files. System Restore used to be magic at this sort of thing, but it seems to be gone.

Edit: I found it but for some reason I wasn't making restore points. Joy.

System restore isn't enabled by default in Windows 10.