Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Is this where I should come to talk about today's Surface announcement? Didn't seem to be a relevant place in IYG or anything.

Mainly I'm wondering if anybody has any idea how much of a complete machine the Surface Book is without its keyboard. If you'd notice they kept calling it a "clipboard," making sure never to use the word "tablet" to describe it. What does that mean? Could you think of the keyboard as a dock and leave it at home, or plug a Type Cover into it and use that instead? What happens if you're playing a game using the GPU and the dock comes off for whatever reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Just got an email about Insider build 14295 -- anyone know if it might happen to have the Bash shell? All the promotional info I can find is about bugfix crap so probably not. I just really want that thing ASAP

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

sweet :toot:

So on CygWIN I've had problems getting certain poo poo (Gradle) to run right due to CygWIN's weird two-different-kinds-of-filepaths thing (C:\filename vs /cygdrive/c/filename); someone who has a spare machine to install this on, tell me how the new Bash shell handles filepaths because this is worth installing for me if and only if that works properly.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I maintain that MobaXTerm is the best Windows SSH client, mostly because it supports tabbed sessions and MOSH, both of which are basically essential

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I reiterate that everyone here who is SSH-ing into a Linux box that has MOSH installed or that they can install MOSH on should use MobaXterm and use MOSH sessions instead of SSH

like, you know how if you don't use your terminal window for like ten minutes SSH craps out and you need to start a new session? Or how the same thing happens if you, y'know, momentarily lose WiFi connectivity?

MOSH is basically SSH but without that :monocle: The only time you need to start a new MOSH session is if one or the other of the two computers in question gets rebooted. Otherwise it just sits there in the background waiting for you to use it. It is well-behaved. Like SSH should be.

also PuTTY is terrible

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

How long does it take after you sign up for Insider builds for your computer to actually receive an Insider build? I changed the setting a couple hours ago and no matter how many times I click Check For Updates I'm not getting anything yet :saddowns:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Whizbang posted:

It takes a few days. Some Microsoft intern is manually typing your account name into an Excel spreadsheet.

I finally got it :toot:

Another question: My antivirus software (Kaspersky) doesn't recognize the new build and wouldn't start up correctly. It thought I was in Safe Mode for some reason. Is this a common occurrence, and if so about when does antivirus software usually recognize a build? When it hits the Slow Ring, or do I have to wait for the official release?

Asking because I'd like to use Bash on my work PC and I don't think they'd take kindly to me voiding my virus protection

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

CFox posted:

Your company is cool with you using an insider build on your work PC? That's surprising.

Honestly they're probably not, I'm just in the investigative stage before I try talking to them about it any more than I already have. Their attitude toward Win10 in general is "do what you want but we don't support it"; the question is whether that attitude would translate to Insider builds as well or turn to a hard "no". Not being able to use my antivirus software would be a pretty big indicator toward the latter.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Factor Mystic posted:

You could always just use a VM for investigation. Also, at least as of a few insider builds ago, Kaspersky didn't work: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/02/24/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14271-mobile-build-14267-1004/

Ah, good, Kaspersky is what I use at home but it's not what my work uses. That's encouraging news.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

More on this topic:

Factor Mystic posted:

You could always just use a VM for investigation. Also, at least as of a few insider builds ago, Kaspersky didn't work: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/02/24/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14271-mobile-build-14267-1004/

My reaction to this was to turn on Windows Defender instead until such time as Kaspersky works again, but I apparently can't turn on the Defender service while Kaspersky is running (or stop the service myself). I found the Protection setting toggle in Kaspersky and turned it off; this doesn't appear to have done anythig. Is there a way to just, y'know, turn Kaspersky off temporarily without uninstalling it outright?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So I'm a PC user at a Mac/Linux company and my suffering is basically equivalent to religious persecution

and since the anniversary update came out I've been trying to run our scripts (particularly Gradle) on the new Windows Bash shell, but as soon as it gets to any part of any task that uses Java it just kinda hangs forever with no error output or anything. Is this a common issue, and if so is there a fix, or is there just something borked with my Java configuration? Google is remarkably unhelpful about anything to do with the Windows Bash shell.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Arsten posted:

https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues/746

Java issue is known and they have labelled it as "Fix In-Bound". So, hopefully, that'll get fixed sometime soon.

I'm glad to hear that but I'm kind of annoyed it's tied to windows updates because I don't want to put my work PC on an Insider ring so it restarts itself all the loving time and I don't want to have to wait for Redstone 2 to run Java programs from the Linux shell. Hopefully it sneaks into a minor update somewhere along the way before the year is out but I'm not holding my breath.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Any Insiders know whether the patch from yesterday fixed that Java-on-Bash issue?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hey so I have a question about a bug from a while ago where Java just plain didn't work in the Bash shell

It's been fixed in Insider builds, but hasn't made its way to non-Insider builds yet AFAIK. Can any Insiders ITT tell me whether it's in the slow ring yet? I wanna be able to actually use the Bash shell for stuff on my work computer but I don't want my work computer to reboot like twice a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Factor Mystic posted:

What happened when you tired it?

Hung forever