Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
A relative's notebook has stopped connecting to a particular WiFi network, and only that specific network. It's an open network at a library and it connects if using a USB WiFi stick instead of the internal WiFi. Is "Win10 now hates that WiFi network on that adapter" a known problem? And is there a loving fix? Hardware is Atheros 946x IIRC. I did the remove device, reinstall device dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

isndl posted:

When you say stopped connecting do you mean it doesn't see the network, or it just hangs while trying to connect? Did you try removing the network from the list of known networks? Maybe also try the 'random hardware addresses' setting for the network?

It sees the network, but while connecting it quickly returns a 'can't connect to this network' error (or similar, can't remember 100%), anyway, it's much quicker than the timeout for a bad radio link. If feels like they are talking on to each other and quickly agreeing to disagree.
I cleared the list of all known networks. Forgot about the random MAC address, maybe it's the router hatin' on that adapter? I don't control the router, or I'd have rebooted it.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

WindowsOS X has started to lock the screen in my face. Like, I'll be typing/mousing and it will go to the lock screen. I've checked the power plans and even enabled a hidden option in them. All timeouts seem ok. Has anybody encountered this bug?

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

wolrah posted:

Do you have the Dynamic Lock feature enabled? Or Windows Hello face login? Both of those can auto-lock the system if they think you've left.

Beyond that, a faulty keyboard sending Win+L, a friend/colleague/housemate/whatever loving with you with a wireless keyboard, or literally any app running in your Windows session could all trigger it. I haven't found any way to get Windows to log why it locked, just when it does.

I can say that I've never had anyone report that behavior across my couple hundred users nor have I seen any similar complaints around the interwebs so it's almost certainly not a Windows bug itself unless it's related to the aforementioned auto-lock features.

Thank you very much for the reply. A shutdown/restart, but not a reboot, fixed it. That was after I spent some hours with procmon.exe, enabling audits for screen locks, googling poo poo, etc.. It was happening every 30 minutes and driving me crazy. :iiam:

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

Falcon2001 posted:

Any tips for troubleshooting intermittent audio stuttering? It tends to go away for a while if I reboot; but I haven't narrowed down exactly what's causing it yet.

For an example, listening to spotify right now and not doing anything else particularly intensive. Every 10-15 seconds or so the audio will 'hiccup' for a fraction of a second. As far as I can tell this seems to happen on both my wireless headphones and the speakers, but I can't discount that the headphone dropouts are a separate issue with wireless connectivity.

Stuff I've done:
- Using onboard Realtek audio, latest drivers I can find
- Double checked I don't have any weird enhancement on the audio.
- Audio is just a normal 3.5mm cable to speakers, nothing fancy happening post-computer.
- Nothing pops up in the event log looking particularly concerning, either.

Check your computer for latency issues: https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon or similar
Alternatively use procmon from sysinternals to see what process is running at the precise time your sound is crackling.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Seems like they're in for an huge UI overhaul. These are ostensibly some of the new themed icons for the file explorer. Dear God, I can't wait for all the old people "This looks all different" complaints.

This will look terrific on a contrast-is-almost-zero-and-colors-invert-every-10-degrees-of-lateral-movement $50 TN screen. Specially the ones lacking blue elements, gj microsoft. I guess nobody has a non-IPS, non-OLED screen in MS campus. Like how they had to be told to include an IR-Blaster in the OG Xbox ONE "What? But all 77" TVs support CEC over HDMI?"

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

Hadlock posted:

So like everyone else, trying to figure out why my laptop is so slow. It is a 8th gen i7 with 12 cores, 16gb memory, nvme disk with 130gb free

cpu usage rarely creeps above 15%, disk (nvme) rarely creeps up above 30% (tested with crystal disk mark, getting 3400mb/s on the main metric, the other look good comparing screenshots against my numbers)

It just feels... slow

Looking in background processes I have defender, some intel services, microsoft services, realtek audio services and steam, nothing too exotic. Under apps I just have chrome. under services all I see are standard windows services/service hosts

CPU floats around 1% and memory is about 30%

Still slow. Any other ideas before I just wipe the disk and start over

Some machines can be configured to value noise over performance, and will throttle above some ridiculous low temperature. Check BIOS/vendor configuration to see if that's the case. Also use the throttlestop utility to see/raise the power targets to really melt your gonads in the pursue of that last drop of forum-rendering speed.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

WizTree is much faster, but not open source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

I feel like am going to cry

No matter what I do I can't make the OS start from the other drive.

Verify the old install is still valid by physically unplugging the power cables from the new drive(s). Leave only the drive you're trying to boot powered up.