Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

What do you guys think of Windows 10 for businesses? Has anyone here done it, and how did it go?

I feel pretty neutral about it overall (Bitlocker seems good in case someone leaves their laptop on a train) but we have about 80 machines on Windows 7 and I'm wondering whether we should take the free upgrade before it goes away.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

nielsm posted:

Are you on a domain and use GPO and/or other central management?
In that case, it seems like you should not upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, but should really instead get a Software Assurance deal and run Enterprise edition instead. Everyone is saying Microsoft is continually removing or gelding various management features from Pro, making them Enterprise-only.
Hm, thanks. We are and do, but last time I looked at SA/VL it was crazy expensive - like triple the price of doing things the 'normal' way.

stevewm posted:

Why does everyone hate small business? :(
We're not even that small, but basically this!

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 13, 2016

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Does going from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Enterprise require first upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, and is it at all worth going Enterprise to disable Cortana/Store/etc as a home user if I'm in the EU and can get cheapo keys second hand?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I fixed a really annoying problem with Windows Update over the weekend that sfc/dism/etc didn't fix that I eventually tracked back to SYSTEM losing permissions on some folders in %windir%

Your issue may be totally different, but worth a look.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Bob NewSCART posted:

I ended up saying gently caress it and reformatting both my drives and starting fresh because it seemed like whatever was causing trouble was deep rooted. How did you solve that permissions issue btw jack?

I made a new admin account (not sure if that was necessary in the end), manually gave it full access to the files in the folder WU couldn't write to according to the error logs, deleted them, deleted and recreated the empty folder, then stepped back up and manually added SYSTEM back onto the parent folder.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Is there really no way to disable Bing/web searching in the start menu in 1803?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Having bought a Windows 10 Enterprise key off eBay, is there anywhere I can get a legit ISO without a Volume Licensing account?

Alternatively, can I go Pro using the media creation tool then upgrade to Enterprise via Change Product Key under Activation?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I've read that you can't upgrade evaluation installs in a couple of places - does that definitely work?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Sininu posted:

kl- no results, kla to klad - Notepad, kladb until kladblok -no results. Hrm.

Same for me :psyduck:

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I'm trying to disable Bing/Web search in the Start Menu on 1809.

I have GPOs as follows, and I've confirmed with gpresult that they're applying correctly, but I'm still getting Bing/Web results when I search for local stuff.

Allow Cortana: Disabled
Do not allow web search: Enabled
Don't search the web or display web results in Search: Enabled

Does anyone have any ideas, please?

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 17, 2019

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Jack the Lad posted:

I'm trying to disable Bing/Web search in the Start Menu on 1809.

I have GPOs as follows, and I've confirmed with gpresult that they're applying correctly, but I'm still getting Bing/Web results when I search for local stuff.

Allow Cortana: Disabled
Do not allow web search: Enabled
Don't search the web or display web results in Search: Enabled

Does anyone have any ideas, please?

I created a DWORD reg key BingSearchEnabled = 0 in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search after seeing that recommended online and that's done it.

Why do the GPOs not? :psyduck:

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

What can I type into my start menu, if anything, to get to what was "Sound" in Windows 7 where I have playback and recording tabs and can change defaults, test etc?

At the moment I'm going through control panel every time.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Klyith posted:

open the classic control panel, drag the sound icon onto your desktop to make a shortcut, then pin that to the start menu

Will try this, thanks.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Oh yeah, you're right, I checked on my work laptop but it isn't on 1903 yet, but my personal laptop is and it doesn't have a control panel option either.

Yeah it's extremely dumb. Having recently upgraded, the start menu search in general is just absolutely terrible when compared to Windows 7.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Crossposting from the monitor thread:

Jack the Lad posted:

I've just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and icc profiles no longer seem to do anything.

My U3014 had a greenish tint out of the box and I was using an icc profile with it. This would periodically stop working, but opening up colour management and choosing "Set as Default Profile" would re-apply it and I would see the colour go back to normal/calibrated:

In Windows 10, however, it doesn't do anything, which sucks.

Googling didn't find me much useful on this, except that some people suggested disabling Fast Startup, which I did and which didn't make a difference.
Does anyone know how I can get icc profiles to apply in Windows 10, please?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Dylan16807 posted:

They deeply screwed up applying icc profiles in the most recent spring update. Failing to apply and bad banding. If you install DisplayCAL it has a profile loader program with some kind of workaround to still operate correctly.

Windows10.txt

But yeah I actually did install it but then couldn't work out where to load profiles.

(I may be extremely dumb.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Dylan16807 posted:

There should be an icon in the system tray for "DisplayCAL Profile Loader" that you can right click and go to "profile associations".

It's a mess to navigate and I've only touched DisplayCAL itself while following a guide.

Awesome, that worked - thanks :toot:

What a pain though.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 20, 2019