Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Nice work. I think it's a great idea to address the whole privacy paranoia bandwagon that has started due to Windows 10.

I'm terribly amused at the tinfoil hat reaction to this whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Hard drives should not make a difference.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Enjoy Botnet!
[semi-overblown] guide to ameliorating some of it:

Stop posting this garbage.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Katosabi posted:

My upgrade to Windows 10 has been a pleasant experience on my desktop, except for the fact entering my pin on the login screen now has to wait for my HDDs to spin up coming out of sleep. It kinda defeats the purpose of having an SSD with this behavior. Windows 7 never had this issue, I could type my whole password before the monitor woke up and it'd be sitting there ready to go. Has anyone else experienced this?
I always ensure my HDDs never go to sleep.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

wolrah posted:

Hey, look at that.

They're fixing the inconsistent context menu appearances.
For people that have many programs that add things to their context menu, it's probably going to take up half the screen now.

Obviously the context menu margins need to be smaller if using keyboard and mouse.

Edit:

KillHour posted:

Edit: Cortana uses 37MB of memory. This is outrageous! :bahgawd:
If you don't open the search UI it will shrink down to under half a MB after a bit of inactivity.

Windows 10 seems to be good about suspending processes that aren't being used.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 29, 2015

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

tekz posted:

So apparently Microsoft is adding win10's spying bullshit on 8.1 and 7? Is there a guide to turning it off on those systems?
That "spying bullshit" is itself mostly bullshit conjured by people that can't see past their tinfoil hats.

You'd be best served to extract yourself from the echo chamber surrounding Windows 10's behavior.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

d0s posted:

I just came into a much better SSD than the one I'm using now (6gb/sec vs 3gb/sec), just wondering what the best method for transferring my entire system over to that would be? Last time I had to do something like this was like 10 years ago and it involved norton ghost and poo poo. I'm guessing there's some streamlined way to do it in win10?
Twice I've used Windows' built in system image backup utility.

Go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> Backup and Restore (Windows 7)
Click "create a system image" on the left panel. Select a location to save the image to. A secondary hard drive is best.
Boot from the Windows 10 installation DVD/USB and use the system image restore feature to get things onto the new SSD.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Krailor posted:

I've got a slightly different sleep issue. My monitor goes to sleep after 10 min of inactivity no matter what. I've gone though the Power Plan, Power & Sleep options, Advance Power Settings and changed everything to never sleep or turn off the monitor and it's still turning off after 10 min.

I'm on 10547 but the issue was also affecting me on the last build as well.
I recently upgraded to an ASUS Z170-A motherboard and found that it was controlling the monitor power timing and ignoring the Windows option. I just adjusted that using ASUS software and everything worked fine.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Captain Novolin posted:

Switching motherboards is the one thing that windows licenses dont cover at all, so either you have to do before the upgrade time runs out and re-install 7/8, or just straight up buy a license.
Retail licenses can be transferred between computers, no?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

What you get from the free upgrade isn't a retail license.
I know, but I have a retail Windows 8.1 Pro license that I want to use to activate W10.

The first time around I did the upgrade thing when moving to Windows 10. Recently I upgraded my motherboard, naturally invalidating that upgrade license.

I had zero intention of reinstalling W8 and redoing the whole upgrade just to activate again. It was much, much easier to just resort to :filez:

Hopefully the new build will just let me activate with my retail W8 license.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

xamphear posted:

Are you saying you installed the update via the ISO? Or that your windows update automatically installed and it did a full Insider-style OS upgrade?

Because oh man, if the windows update patch is a full blown in-place OS upgrade... gently caress doing that multiple times a year!
That's basically what it is, an update to a new build just as insiders go through much more frequently.

I just got done doing the TH2 upgrade from the website. I had two issues. The first was my keyboard not being detected, even after restarting, until I unplugged it and plugged it back in. The second was the new PCIe wireless card I installed yesterday not being detected until after a reboot. Specifically, the bluetooth part was working (internal USB connection) but not the WiFi part for some reason. :iiam:

And apparently CPU-Z and Speccy were uninstalled automatically for some reason.

Other than that, smooth sailing. Booting seems to be faster.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

GokieKS posted:

The difference between a service pack and an OS upgrade is just semantics, especially when the NT kernel isn't even being updated. So Calling Build 10240 to Build 10586 something analogous to Windows 7 to Windows 8 is a major stretch.
While we don't know how many changes were made to the kernel code, the file itself is certainly being replaced by a newer build.

I'm not sure how you can say with certainty that the kernel isn't being updated anyways.

Maneki Neko posted:

How are people getting the november update? It hasn't been offered to any of the various Windows 10 pcs that I have access to.
I read somewhere that the update isn't offered if you installed Windows 10 less than 30 days ago. I can't say that with certainty or anything.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

if you want the new update just download the media creator tool. Have it create an ISO and then once its made doubleclick the iso so windows mounts it and run setup
You don't even need to do that. The normal downloader just puts the ISO contents on your hard drive and runs it from there.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Some people arn't being offered the download.
I mean the download from the website. Clicking "upgrade now" on https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 downloads the ISO contents to your HD then begins the installation. No need to create an actual ISO file.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

August 2nd is the day of the anniversary update.

I'll probably acquire it earlier if the build is already available for insiders.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Any idea when the final build for the anniversary update will be available?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

hooah posted:

I believe it's going out to non-insiders on August 2nd or 3rd.
I should have been more clear: I meant for insiders.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Have they fixed the dumb Windows 10 activation nonsense? I want to activate it using my retail Windows 8.1 Pro license.

It was originally activated that way but a motherboard upgrade broke it.

Re-installing Windows 8.1 to do the upgrade thing has been always been a non-starter even before that offer ended.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

astral posted:

Activating 10 with a valid 8.1 key was working for about 9 months! However, now that the free upgrade period is over...

e: They're also adding an activation troubleshooter in the anniversary update that can help resolve activation issues. If you have a valid digital entitlement and an MS account login before the upgrade, it'll be linked to your MS account afterwards which can even reactivate after significant hardware changes.

e2: clarity
I just got done doing the anniversary update and W10 is activated due to my Microsoft account. :)

Edit: Have OneDrive placeholders returned for this update?

Inverness fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 2, 2016

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

I've noticed that my folder view settings for my libraries are not staying identical for the whole library like they should be. Is this a recent change or is something broken for me?

To clarify, when viewing libraries, the view settings (columns, spacing, view type, etc.) are supposed to be shared for all folders in the library.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I don't get the hate for Windows 10. Disable the telemetry, privacy concerns gone. Don't like UWP? Don't use it. Don't like touchscreen poo poo? Don't go into tablet mode.

It is objectively a better performing Windows 7/8 at that point (and includes some pretty neat features like multi desktop support, DX12 and Bash support).
http://lifehacker.com/all-the-coolest-features-of-windows-10s-anniversary-upd-1784698775
Telemetry isn't a privacy concern. It's not used to collect personal information.

If you realize that then you have no problem leaving it on.

If you think Microsoft is lying and telemetry is an issue then they might as well also be lying about the button to disable it actually doing anything.

People are way too hysterical over this as opposed to appreciating that Microsoft is being upfront about what information they collect. All the hysteria is doing is telling the rest of the industry that they should just keep it all a secret because users are dumb.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

Any idea how I can remove "3D print with 3D Builder" from the context menu for image files? Uninstalling it didn't help.
Use ShellExView.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Can you?

Edit: :aaa:
Yes. I did the W8 to W10 free upgrade around the time W10 launched and linked it to my Microsoft account then.

A few weeks later I upgraded my motherboard and activation was broken. There was no way in hell I was going to reinstall W8 again just for that so I used unofficial means to activate it.

With the anniversary update, it now recognizes that my Microsoft account has an official activation tied to it. Everything is good now.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

There is an update to the sticky notes app on the anniversary edition that significantly decreases the text size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

In explorer there are convenient buttons on the bottom right for switching between thumbnail and detail view. Unfortunately the thumbnail button switches only to large thumbnails, which are not very useful to me on my giant screen.

Is there any way to change the behavior of this button so it switches to extra-large sized thumbnails instead?