Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

TopherCStone posted:

"Windows 10 phones home to Microsoft every time you search in your start menu"
This occurs even on Enterprise with Cortana and Bing disabled via the UI and via GPOs

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10037753

Any thoughts from people who know more about this/have screens big enough to view this massive image?
I spent a bit of last night going through this in Wireshark and while it does indeed seem like 1 packet of some 1kb-range is sent each time, it's sent via https with tls1.2 and is therefore not whatever this image appears to show (I'm not sure what it's supposed to show, because it certainly doesn't send your search query - nor does it actually send data, it's merely grabbing some data; I suspect to keep the weather pane and other panes up-to-date), nor does it send the traffic to bing.com but rather to a non-specific address in 204.79.196.0/23 from my testing of several machines.
It also bears mentioning that Microsoft often keeps at least one connection alive over https to a given server, and that with svchost being what it is, you can never really know what they're doing.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

xylo posted:

WNS / Push notifications.
Sure, but my point is that if you're :tinfoil: you can't know what else is sent over that established connection, unless you monitor it yourself 24/7.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

xylo posted:

How do :tinfoil: people deal with monitoring push notifications on mobile devices on Android or iOS... wait. Wow we're all at risk and didn't even know it. Hey OP please add this info to page two.

The only option is to abandon everything and become a hermit living in a cave as far from civilization as possible.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

EDIT: Nevermind.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 17, 2015

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Bruxism posted:

Yea, I think I'm going to go with that option. Is there an official microsoft tool for making the bootable usb? I know I did it for Win 7.
You're thinking of this little tool and it still works fine, though that can be said of just about any ISO to USB flash disk creation tool since what it does is quite simple:
It runs the commands to create a drive and assign it a drive letter (both of which can be done in diskpart) - then it runs bootsect.exe with the appropriate argument for whatever version of Windows you're installing (/nt52 for XP, /nt60 for Vista and beyond) to install a bootsector, and robocopy to move all files.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Does anyone know if Windows 10 Home can backup to UNC paths (network paths, specifically) like Windows 7 (and newer) Pro can? It's the one major feature that's always been lacking in Windows 7 Home.

Stanley Pain posted:

I think you meant to say BSD. :tipshat:
You're probably kidding, but I dual-boot FreeBSD 10.2 and Windows 10 on my workstation - takes 28 seconds to restart and boot to either OS. Windows for gaming, FreeBSD for everything else.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A definition, if it doesn't already exist, of a proper backup system should include something about being able to verify the backup and alert if things aren't as they should be.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

System patches would be my guess. Windows 10 installer is supposed to be a bit smart about pre-downloading patches so you don't waste time installing them afterwards. In practice I've had machines both succeed and fail at doing it, so your milage probably will vary.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

redeyes posted:

So basically only Pro and Enterprise can defer updates. Home/Core gets them whenever MS wants.
The way I see it, if you're smart enough to need to defer updates, you should probably be using Windows 10 Pro. In my experience, the vast majority of people don't need to defer updates when the computer is setup to start up at 3 in the morning (which it defaulted to, based on normal 8-16 working hours for me in Denmark, at least), install updates and then shut down again, and in fact benefit from having an up-to-date computer.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently Storage Spaces in TH2 finally features drive balancing.

Does Windows 10 Storage Spaces also feature what I believe they call double or dual parity for RAID6-like redundancy, and how does it preform?
I don't quite trust n-way mirrors, as there are situations where a two-way mirror can lose data where a dual-parity array would be fine.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I just noticed that Windows 10 (now?) has an option to replace command prompt with powershell in the right-click start-menu (which can also be brought up with Win+X). All I need now is for it to replace cmd as the default shell when running any command from Win+R.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Does 10 allow you to output audio to multiple devices? I'd upgrade right now if it meant I didn't have to constantly switch back and forth between my speakers and the TV.
I think it will always be a hazzle as long as Windows supports HDCP, since it's probably a requirement from that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Does anyone know whether Windows 10 (non-Pro) supports UNC paths for File History (ie. using SMB network shares as a backup location)? I only have Pro on every machine I own, so I can't test it before I do an upgrade on my mothers laptop.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A crash dump (found in C:\Windows aka %systemroot%, ends in .dmp but isn't memory.dmp), symbol files (in this instance for Windows 10, Version 1511 (retail)) and WinDBG can tell you more, instead of relying on users who most probably have absolutely no clue what they're talking about, given the suggestions they're giving you.

If you don't feel up to it, I can have a look at it if you upload it somewhere, and if you trust a random internet stranger enough with your crash dumps.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Back when I kept games around on a seperate disk because my OS disk was an 80GB SSD, I just created a symmetrical link between %programfiles%\Steam\SteamApps and D:\Games (with D: being a 2TB WD Black). Alternatively, there's a program called Steam Mover which'll move games betweeen two folders for you to take advantage an SSD with some space (but not enough to keep all the games you want installed).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 20, 2016