Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
So I'm upgrading my CPU/Mobo tomorrow. From the looks of things in the OP, this might mean my Windows 10 upgrade from Win 7 will become invalidated? My current plan was to install the new parts, plug in my SSD with my current install, attempt to activate it if it lets me, then do a System Reset to clear previous drivers from the last mobo since that apparently keeps your system activation status. Anyone with experience doing this? I'm kind of in a pickle due to not knowing where the box with my Windows 7 cd key is, so I'm hoping this works so I don't need to hunt it down.

E: Couldn't find my Windows 7 box, but I did find my old HD with the Windows 7 install I previously had before I upgraded to a SSD. So I was able to copy the key with Jellybean Key Finder. Hopefully that'll be what I need.

Beautiful Ninja fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Please report back on how this goes once it's over!

Good news, my Windows 7 key did successfully reactivate Windows once I put the new CPU/Mobo in. I'm doing the System Reset now to clean out all the previous stuff I had installed. I believe with the keys, Retail keys do work for multiple different Windows 10 upgrades since Retail licenses allow you to put the key on any computer you want, as long as only 1 is activated at once. OEM keys have their 1 computer limit, so you don't qualify for multiple Windows 10 free upgrades if you have an OEM key.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Well I finally got Anniversary Edition installed, the upgrading process wasn't working for me, even when I tried to force it through the external .exe from MS. The cumulative update they did for the previous version of Windows 10 also had the benefit of fixing the upgrader for me and now I can actually try the new Edge. The only thing keeping me from using Edge before was lack of extensions, heard the browser's been quite good outside of extension support.