Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
Just built a new computer and got it working. Installed Windows 7, successfully registered, and installed a thousand updates. I've restarted it a ton and am not getting the offer to upgrade to 10. Verified the required update files were present and ran this command thing like 3 times: (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a883265b?auth=1) It tells me it is "ready" and doesn't once say failed. I'm at a loss as to why it isn't working. This is an "upgraded" version of windows (originally Windows XP I think), could that disqualify me from upgrading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Neowyrm posted:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

There are 32- and 64-bit download links on that page. You'll get a small 'media creator' from which you can upgrade directly to W10

Tried setting it up right on my flash drive and got this:

Maybe someone is trying to tell me to wait...

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cojawfee posted:

Just make an ISO and use something like this to make a bootable USB. The "make a flash drive" thing never worked for me.

Yea, I think I'm going to go with that option. Is there an official microsoft tool for making the bootable usb? I know I did it for Win 7.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Neowyrm posted:

I am not 100% on this but I think that same tool might still work?

I'll give it a shot and let you know if "something happens".

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sappo569 posted:

FYI that is a 'not enough space' error

So yeah install it like a normal person ;)

I suggest using Rufus for all your bootable USB drive needs

Just as my USB drive was finishing being prepared as a boot disk (after downloading the ISO) the windows 10 upgrade button popped up on my desktop! Problem solved!

Last question:

I feel like I've seen the prevailing wisdom of the thread shift on this one...once I do the "upgrade" my impulse is to do another clean install. Is that pretty pointless at this point? I went from a clean HD to windows 7 and then right into Windows 10. Thanks for all the help!

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Installed Windows 10 about a month ago and haven't had any issues with it. Well, I have had a hard time on how to get my X52 Pro to work on win10. Saitek has put out beta drivers for it (http://madcatz.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/604/0/windows-10--saitek-hotas-beta-drivers-and-software-release) but reading the install instructions makes me a little worried it's too cobbled together. I don't suppose anyone else has tried them out yet and encountered any issues? Eager to get back to playing Elite...

Also, I'm setting up my old computer for my dad and he wants Windows 10 on it. I already used my free upgrade for the system I just built so I'm going to have to actually buy a copy of windows 10. My question is, if I buy the "download windows 10" version here will it just send me a product code that I can use to install on my old system using my previously made bootable USB drive? Does it lock the product onto the system it was purchased on or something insane like that? Thanks for any insight!

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

EasyEW posted:

Which begs the question: Would you stick by this advice to go with the Insider Preview program (and thus installing a patch-testing OS) if you figured in the whole "this will be a system for Bruxism's dad" part of the equation?

I appreciate your advice Shadow Puppet, but I ended up buying a copy of win 10 home for him and installing that. He had a hard enough time opening files and web browsers without having to worry about anything else.

I've installed win 10 on two very different systems now and been really surprised at how easy the process had been, especially with the OS recognizing hardware and installing drivers. Honestly the only problem I've had is getting my x 52 pro working, but it looks like saitek is working on putting it sooner new drivers eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

..btt posted:

What problems are you having? Mine's worked since Win10 release. The wheel on the throttle was a bit dodgy at first (clicks didn't register unless I fiddled with the control panel clutch setting after each reboot), but has been fine since the first post-win10 driver release, which was like a week later. All drivers were straight off the support site, I didn't do anything special.

Ok, to be honest I haven't tried setting it up yet. When I saw the support site didn't have windows 10 drivers I did some googling and read a lot of horror stories about it wrecking USB controllers and frequent BSODS and didn't want to take my chances. I did find some beta drivers for win 10 released by Saitek, but I'm just cautious about trusting Saitek's drivers. I'm going to just suck it up and give it a shot this week. I've been trying to wait hoping they would release a finished version of drivers but the are slow as hell and I want to play Elite.