Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

d0s posted:

It happens if your computer is on but you miss the dialog asking when you want to schedule a restart. Instead of waiting for you it just reboots itself, which to me seems like absolutely crazy behavior. Like I get why it's a default but the fact that it seems like there's no way to turn it off is really strange

EDIT: If anyone else is having this problem I think this is the fix: http://windowsinstructed.com/prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-restarting-after-updating/

We'll see how it goes next update

I don't think it's intended behavior. On my computers, as long as I don't touch the notification that appears in the notification center it'll let me wait as long as I want. Once I touch to reschedule, it will reschedule automatically at a time where I don't use my computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Karthe posted:

Why would I want to log in with a pin instead of a password? Windows promoted me to set one up when I reinstalled the other day and my first reaction was, "are you kidding me?"

I get that people hate passwords, and I understand that a number is (probably) easier to memorize, but with as much personal stuff as gets stored on a laptop, wouldn't you want to make it harder for others to log in?

The pin is individual to that device. On the whole, it makes your Microsoft account less likely to be hacked. If you lose the device, then yes your device is more likely to be hacked but that's lesser likelihood by far for most of the population - and if your device gets hacked your account security isn't compromised. I think the pin option is only promoted on portable devices for that reason.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Karthe posted:

I kinda get that someone shoulder-surfing your login attempt will only get your device pin instead of your Outlook.com account password. But if you've "Remember Me"d me most of your oft-accessed sites like I have, then all that nefarious party has to do is obtain a several-digit pin number and then boom, they now have access to everything important.

And steal your device. Physical barriers lower likelihoods quite a bit. But cryptography and digital security is not my field so I might be wrong. This is just what we are taught for health data security.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The Mail app is more functional now than it's ever been, what do you think is missing?

Not who you were talking to, I need MS to have the same functionality as Inbox from Google. I think they do something similar in the Outlook Android app? But Google's algorithm to determine Promo emails is spot on and something I really really want. I make mine catch all promo emails and then show up once a day as a bundle.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

2+ the internal. Is this so insane?

Hm, my SB and my husband's SP4 runs 2 monitors + internal perfectly. But we don't use a miniDP adapter, our monitors accepts DP.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Jan posted:

OEM keys are not unique -- they are issued for certain computer manufacturers (i.e.: Dell) and are hardcoded to query system information to make sure they are being installed on that manufacturer's hardware. They are not meant to be installed on any computer as retail keys do.

Go break some kneecaps.

Are you sure? I used to build my own desktops and buy OEM keys. They were totally legit as long as they were installed on self built stuff (aka a fresh mobo) and were tied to that mobo.

*My OEM key sources were legit vendors.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
^^^ Yeah, I had Win 8.1 enterprise and had to do a manual Win 10 upgrade.

I'm so confused cause I've been on Win 10 Pro forever, and I delay updates for weeks at a time with no issue, and have never had a surprise restart.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

MikusR posted:

Well it had a much better taskbar.

I just watched a video of a Windows 10 build 9841 and it had the great taskbar plus metro tiles in a OK looking start menu. SO they had it working. But then some idiot manager decided on a rewrite.

Do you have a screenshot? I love the current taskbar+start menu so just curious.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

fishmech posted:

That's not the taskbar.

Those look about the same, except one has worse artifacting and has been scaled differently?

Yeah I'm pretty confused. This is how mine looks, it looks great to me?

edit Full size version is 2x bigger than it appears to me in use, so it's actually as crisp as it looks using the larger timg scaled version.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

MikusR posted:

Your image is a better illustration of what i don't like. Look at start button - it's a small icon in a middle of large square. The empty space around icon is almost the size of icon itself.

This is such a small thing, idk it's weird to me that this is something people get pissy about enough that they bring it up specifically. As if MS did some great harm to this current iteration compared to before. In any case, personally, it works for me as the taskbar takes up very little screen real estate on my screen and the ratios all match and work out.

:shrug:

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Icept posted:

Why does installing the Anniversary Update redo file associations to Microsoft apps, set Edge as the default browser and turn all the privacy settings to wide open? I'm just installing an update I'm not rethinking my setup here.

Did none of this to me. I'm on Pro.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

That's how it looks on Chrome to me too. I didn't realize it was so colorful on Firefox.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Yeppp.

The same day, our IT dept. removed the download from the company site. One of my teammates called them asking how we're supposed to connect remotely. The tier 1 guy said "get a company laptop." :downs:

This isn't really relevant to the thread, I just had to share my triumph: I'd been running VPN and RDP from a VM running Windows 7 to keep my entire internet connection from being funneled through the slow-rear end VPN.

Sounds like something specific to your work? My AnyConnect is still there and still works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Im_Special posted:

Doesn't this look amazing.

First screenshot of the new Windows Explorer app.

You've got to be kidding me. I actually like most of Win 10 UI but for god's sakes. They went in the exact opposite direction of almost all the most popular and praised file explorers?