Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone noticed that the lovely modal dialog boxes that pop up in Win10 are not dismissed by pressing Escape? Instead, that seems to perform one of the possible actions. What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tab8715 posted:

Aren't they anticipating it'll be installed by default? Why bother installing putty when I'm able merely open Powershell and type ssh sever24.na.contoso.com?
I dunno, are they? I'd rather not have any of the Ubuntu stuff installed by default if I'm not going to need it.

Also is it just bash now or is it possible to use something good like zsh instead?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't manage to get Win10 working on a P4 machine due to lack of drivers IIRC :(

biznatchio posted:

zsh isn't there by default but it looks like pulling it in from apt works.

The only entrypoint into the Linux subsystem is bash.exe though, which is a tiny executable that looks like it basically just spins up a bash process in the subsystem and redirects its IO to the console window, so you can't enter directly into a zsh session.

But you could have a windows shortcut to do "bash.exe -c zsh" which will get you close enough.

edit: Nevermind, doing "bash.exe -c zsh" launches zsh as your shell without there being a bash process running at all in the subsystem, so there's that.

That's cool, thanks for testing this.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So how does the automatic update works? I'm currently getting these spammy popups from the notification area every once in a while, will it just start installing itself eventually? I don't think I did anything to opt-in here.

Space Cadet posted:

To be fair I didn't minimize the window, I closed it and there was no notification that the countdown would continue when I closed that window. I just expressed my dissatisfaction with the fact that my system was arbitrarily taken from my control and for some reason posters here feel this should now be an expected behavior of their OS. Windows 10 seems not terrible, and so far is fairly interchangeable with the 8.1 system it updated, I just would have preferred to schedule the upgrade for when I could have properly backed up my system, wiped the drive and did a clean install not "I see you went to check your email with your coffee this morning, buckle up buckaroo!" Prior to this every time I got a window about upgrading I just closed them and they went away.

At least you'll be now used to the Win10 experience where the system just randomly decides to start installing updates and restarts itself as it pleases.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Even Apple's IOS updateer asks you if you want to install it and you're welcome to delay it until IT says it's ok or whatever.

I'd be perfectly fine with MS doing all the updates automatically by default as long as there was a way to fine tune their behavior like it was possible in Win7. As it is, even with the GP setting it's still not doing what I want. Their update servers are getting straight blocked if/when I need to use 10 as the main system.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does a Win 8.1 installation need to be fully up to date before it offers to upgrade to 10? I have a PC that hasn't been used in a while and has like 2gb of updates pending. If possible I'd rather skip all this bullshit and go directly for the upgrade but it doesn't offer me anything so far.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You can actually just rename the user in the user and groups snap-in (run lusrmgr.msc), this will actually leave the folder name as-is (thus saving the dumbass hardcoded apps) but change the displayed login name everywhere.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
At least it's not as bad as the UWP calculator in Windows 8!

Though thankfully you still get the normal one if you launch "calc.exe"

I'll be now trying to upgrade the 8 system to 10 which is gonna be very interesting because it's some sort of leftover enterprise edition and I don't want to do a full wipe now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lol so of course I finally upgraded to 10 right before the news about removed policies came out. Guess who's never installing AU now!

Also, who had the brilliant idea of turning on scaling by default, even if it was disabled in 7? Because it looks like poo poo even in first-party apps and is not something MS should be proudly showing off to unsuspecting users:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You ... you actually think that's how it works, don't you.

Did you restart yet?
:negative:

Yes, but only after turning off scaling. There's no reason to use it on a 15" 1080 laptop screen.

Anyway, I didn't manage to upgrade my other system, possibly because it's running Win 8 Enterprise N. However I still want to get the digital entitlement just in case at some point they unfuck it. Is there any way to do an in-place upgrade without a full wipe, given that I have a Win7 Pro license for this machine? I do have a backup thankfully but don't want to waste too much time dicking around with it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

Probably not. Upgrade works off the installed OS. There might be some way to hack it (ex forcefully delete just the windows folder from recovery console) but the flipside leaves you with a non-functional OS. With only 8 hours left I wouldn't want to try.
Just remembered I have the original spinny disk that came with the machine and had Win7 installed, so I popped the drive in and installed it, never to be used probably.

redeyes posted:

Click HERE to confirm you use Assistive Technologies (WTF does this mean anyways?) and get your FREE UPGRADE!
Really, now that the original date has passed, there's no reason for them not to extend the free upgrade period or even make it perpetual and get more people to see their ads the Microsoft Experience.

Jewel Repetition posted:

After a terrifying hour I've got Windows 10 installed and I have a few questions.

1. Is it possible to make the subfolders in a folder display before the files? I want this for my images folder because it's huge and I don't want to have to scroll to the bottom to see the folders. It was how it should be in Windows 7.

2. Is it possible to make the systray and time/date show up on both taskbars if you have multiple monitors?

3. Where can I find the contents of the old "startup" folder that was in the Programs part of the start menu in Windows 7? I had a homemade executable in there and I want to recover it.
1. Works fine here, just sort the folder by name ??
2. Haven't really used it on the multi-monitor system yet.
3. It should be in "C:\Users\Jewel Repetition\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" though I have no idea if it's still working as I don't have anything there now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is the activation status going to say "Disability entitlement" for them?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

plushpuffin posted:

From what I've read, you can still turn it off, they're just removing the ability to do so remotely via group policy (for Professional edition), because too many businesses for their liking are using the cheaper Pro edition and MS wants to push them to use Enterprise.
I don't think you can disable the lock screen via normal settings even now. There's a choice of background and "fun facts" option, but no way to turn it off that I can see.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zebez posted:

3rd reboot: black screen, it used my TV as main screen, wich was turned off.
4th reboot: was stuck on 91% for a few minutes.
21 minutes to login screen.
+1-2 minutes until desktop was loaded.

It had disabled my Win 7 dual boot. Had to reenable.
It reset all my nvidia settings.
It added edge and store to taskbar.

What exactly happened? Did anyone else experience this?

I'm dual booting via Grub and surprisingly the the 7->10 upgrade didn't mess it up. Although I'm not planning on installing AE right now, it'd be good to know.

Say hello to your UWP overlords! I don't really care about the tablet mode but on desktop all this stuff just looks horrible.

Skarsnik posted:

Now thats a proper virus

Non of this stealing your passwords or botnet stuff, just gently caress up poo poo and leave a message

Nostalgic as gently caress
Really brings back the good old days. I got hosed over by CIH back in the day and it was a good lesson I tell you, made me the man I am today! :corsair:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
These are supposedly the details for clean and infected installations of classic shell, so you can check what you got installed:

Clean: ClassicShellSetup_4_3_0.exe
MD5: e10881b65c27c6e09e5a33cd8bcd99c6
SHA1: a6b06d07fe3b1a7204b1b62c67fbf3c602385364
File size: 7220496 bytes

Infected: ClassicShellSetup_4_3_0.exe
MD5: c67dff7c65792e6ea24aa748f34b9232
SHA1: 438b6fa7d5a2c7ca49837f403bcbb73c14d46a3e
File size: 7148732 bytes

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Unlike SA, MS has like a bajillion different accounts at different points in time that are mostly their own things. So you've had MSN, hotmail, Live, MSDN, xbox, bing, outlook, whatever the Win10 one is, and anything else they came up with only to abandon a year later.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kazy posted:

Those are all literally the same account.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The whole point of Live is to roll those into one. Bing, Xbox, Outlook, Windows, OneDrive, MSDN, etc all work off a single Live login now.
Also forgot Skype lol. And yeah I guess they're all the same with Live, but I don't think this used to be the case before, when I was using MS stuff.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Morter posted:

No I mean full shutdowns nightly.

Or is nightly sleep-modes more preferable, with the occasional reboot?

Dunno about manually forcing all those things, but you could just leave the PC on and have it shut down on schedule at 2AM or whenever.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So Microsoft broke compressed webcam support in the AE: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/windows-10-anniversary-update-breaks-most-webcams/

TL;DR: Many cameras use h.264 to push 1080p video through USB2, but the new frame server which is supposed to let multiple apps share the camera only supports uncompressed video. Oops.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are some of you guys confusing the hibernation and swap files by chance? It's not a good idea to mess with the swap unless there's a very good reason but hibernation is fair game if you don't actually use it.

I've been using Win 10 on my new 2-in-1 and it's surprising how little it's adjusting to tablet mode considering how much I had to fight 8.1 to make it work on a desktop properly. I get that they rolled some of the tablet stuff back but why isn't there autocorrect with the onscreen keyboard, or full screen mode in Edge. Just weird stuff.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure MS already transitioned to us being the product so they'll just accept anything, really might as well make it free as in beer at this point.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ruflux posted:

I particularly love how right-clicking on the desktop brings up a menu that looks like it came straight from Windows 98 but right-clicking the taskbar gets a completely different, pointlessly large, "touch friendly" menu with a totally different color scheme. Which also looks like poo poo, but in a different way. Oh Microsoft.

e: What the gently caress I just realized the taskbar menu is a hackjob laid on top of the regular Win 98 style menu. Why??? :psyduck:

A few pages back but

I think some of this got fixed up by now but it's still kind of a mess even among the new UI.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Flagrama posted:

I think the key phrase is "multiple words"

Notice how the actual application doesn't show up, but a bunch of files and folders with the same name do when I try to use parts of more than one word to search. That'd be annoying if I wanted to launch the pokemon showdown application instead of the trading card game one.
I can't make a screenshot now but on one of my work machines, it refuses to find "Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio" no matter what part of the string you type in, even though it's clearly visible in the app list. Strangely it finds it when searching "ssms" which is the exe name.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My tablet has been trying to install the 1709 update several times now and it fails every single time. In the update history it just says "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 / Requires restart to finish installing" four times without any error messages. Any ideas what could be the issue?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

tight aspirations posted:

I had this on my desktop, and solved it by downloading the media creation tool, which then succeeded in updating Windows.

Fifth time's the charm, I guess? :shrug:

I did clean up the disk a bit so maybe that was it, but lol if windows can't check the space requirement before starting the update.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How do you resize the tabs in Edge back to their normal form? At some point I accidentally dragged them into thumbnail size with my finger but now I can't seem to find the draggable part even with the stylus or mouse so I'm stuck with them taking up a third of the screen :(

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Medullah posted:

I'm sure there's another shortcut but anytime I do something like this I just hold Windows key and press left, right, up or down a few times to get it to snap to a pane and then resize as needed
:doh: that's it, I guess it's Vivaldi that lets you drag the tabs to expand them.

Volguus posted:

The benefits of "S Mode" are that it further pushes the ecosystem towards the walled garden Microsoft dreams of (a-la Apple). To users? None, but they'll get "S Mode" for free from OEMs and most likely be charged to switch modes. When enough people will be using S Mode maybe developers will start writing applications for the windows store. If they can survive the backlash of users in the meantime (I'm joking, there won't be any, people will love their OS that cannot run more than 3 applications).
Yeah people will probably love that they can get angry birds from the app store and it will even update itself, sometimes to insert more ads. Everyone love apps on their phones, and I think those who didn't grown up in the wild west of the earlier PCs won't miss it as long as they can get their curated facebook apps. Admittedly it should also be more secure since all executable code will be vetted and signed presumably, but you know what happens to those who give up freedom for security :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are they putting it back out again? I haven't seen it available on any of my computers so far.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Gonna spin the russian roulette and request the update. I only use the machine for VR stuff so what's the worst it could do.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
When deploying an SSAS solution, VS will open a modal window to ask for credentials or to show progress, but won't always bring it to the front. So you can end up with the now disabled VS main window covering the entire desktop including the window that's waiting for your input :downs:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is there an app that will let me see what voltage the tablet is charging at through USB-PD?

I want to find out if a USB-PD powerbank will charge it (up to 12V 1.5A) but the tablet specs don't say what it needs. I have a PD wall charger that works fine, but it goes up to 20V so :iiam:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Lol litestep. Yeah I've done that too for a while. It worked pretty well actually and supported virtual desktops much better than hacks on top of the regular shell.

Lambert posted:

By default, your tablet will charge at 5V. If it supports USB-PD, it will be able to negotiate a higher voltage for faster charging (at the cost of faster battery decay). So you will be able to charge your tablet, just potentially not as fast (highly unlikely in this case, though).
It won't charge at 5V at all, it's PD or nothing. Well the bundled AC adapter works too through a barrel jack.

You're right that it should negotiate the maximum possible but I'm not sure it won't just refuse to charge if it can't get what it wants. I actually tried charging it with a 5V->12V boost converter and instead of charging slowly at like 0.7A, it refused completely so there's some strange stuff going on. The PD circuit is probably separate so maybe it'll work, but from what I've heard there could be a minimum requirement so I wanted to see if there was a software way to find out what it was taking.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lambert posted:

What kind of tablet do you have? It is some Windows thing?

Yeah of course, wouldn't be posting I'm the windows thread otherwise. It's a Chinese Surface clone with the m3 7y30 called Cube Mix+.: https://techtablets.com/cube-mix-plus/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lambert posted:

Ah, I was thinking of some kind of Android thing, which are fine with just 5V. In that case, people seem to be saying that the Innergie 45H charger is working fine - that one is specified at up to 20V/2.25A. Maybe worth taking a look at: https://techtablets.com/forum/topic/good-fast-charger-for-cube-mix-plus/
I do have a USB-PD wall charger that works, I usually use it when travelling to use one charger with the phone. I was hoping to find a power bank that could charge or extend the run time at least. Even a 10Ah would almost double the battery capacity so I don't want a >20Ah brick as it'll be a pain in the rear end to travel with.

But thanks, it's a good idea to check the forums! They seem to be saying it's using 20V, the only question is if it'll also charge at 12V if that's the maximum available. I found this one or this one with the bonus wireless charging so I guess only one way to find out! At worst it'll charge my Note9 faster at least.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Counterpoint: EdgeHTML Edge is fine, Chromium Edge is Chrome and garbage

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bourricot posted:

I have no issues with FF dev tools :shrug: How are Chrome's better?

I'm not a "front-end" developer but when I needed it, I wasn't really blown away. The Dragonfly in the old Presto Opera seemed to do pretty much all the same stuff years ago. I'm sure it's improved, but not like night and day.

Geemer posted:

I'm just glad the whole thread came together to dunk on Google and Chrome. :unsmith:
:unsmith::hf::unsmith:

FRINGE posted:

This is actually a problem. Too many devs are pushing chrome like they were on fury road because theyre just used to it.

Mozilla needs to pull its head out of 14 asses and stop moving buttons around and do something substantial for usability. (That is not just their ipad "designers" moving buttons around screeching "usability".)
My last "new" computer came with Firefox and I've been using it without issues, it seems perfectly fine to me (it's no Opera but by normie standards it'll do). But what are the Mozilla guys doing there? Wasn't Firefox the top browser for a while after kicking IE"s rear end? I guess then Google abused their search dominance to shove it down everyone's throat in a way MS would find impressive lol

E: lol literally just popped up: "Mozilla lays off 70 people as non-search revenue fails to materialize"
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/01/mozilla-lays-off-70-people-as-non-search-revenue-fails-to-materialize/

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 16, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

I do have a USB-PD wall charger that works, I usually use it when travelling to use one charger with the phone. I was hoping to find a power bank that could charge or extend the run time at least. Even a 10Ah would almost double the battery capacity so I don't want a >20Ah brick as it'll be a pain in the rear end to travel with.

But thanks, it's a good idea to check the forums! They seem to be saying it's using 20V, the only question is if it'll also charge at 12V if that's the maximum available. I found this one or this one with the bonus wireless charging so I guess only one way to find out! At worst it'll charge my Note9 faster at least.
If anyone is still curious about this for some reason, I got the Blitzwolf P9 and while it doesn't charge the tablet, it is providing power so I've been on 40% for like an hour now. That's frankly good enough for me, although I'll try restoring it to stock power levels (it's at like 20W TDP instead of the stock 8 or something) and maybe that'll live it enough power to charge as well.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just got a brand new tablet for my mom and everything is great except Windows Defender seems to be missing somehow. The service is there and running, but if I try to change any settings in the new control panel thing, it just takes me to the MS store and fails to find anything there.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No signs of other AV software. But it's on version 1909 so maybe that update would fix it once available, thanks. Worst case I could just nuke it of course but :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

netBuff posted:

Is any third-party AV installed or are there traces of one? In that case, download the uninstallation tool from the third-party AV website.

If that doesn't help, try updating to the latest version 2004, which amounts to a reinstall of system files. Maybe that fixes it.

Yep manually forcing the 2004 update fixed the Defender issue. Took like 5 hours to install but everything seems to be working fine and maybe even better now.