Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

hooah posted:

Oh, nice, how do you do that?

Right click Taskbar > Properties > Navigation tab.

I think that's been in since 8 (or maybe 8.1).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Arsten posted:

The calculator app is so large that I use my smartphone because I can't tuck it into a corner, like I could on Windows 95 to 7, while working on a document or something else where I need quick access to a calculator. I don't carry 22"+ monitors around with my laptop so that UWP isn't a hot mess to use.

You can resize the new calculator down to almost the same size as the old one. It'll be a small amount taller, and very slightly narrower.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Arsten posted:

I haven't been able to make it as small as the previous incarnations of the application, despite GigaFuzz' claim.

You realize that UI bloat (and feature loss) is in all of the UWP applications Microsoft wrote, right? UWP is a mess.
Comparison (based on http://winaero.com/blog/get-calculator-from-windows-8-and-windows-7-in-windows-10/)

It'll go back to a bigger size if you switch modes or anything, but it remembers its size otherwise.

Not that it this redeems the whole UWP thing though.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

The Slack Lagoon posted:

My computer doesn't want to stay asleep.

I turned the mouse being able to wake it up off, but it still wakes up immediately after it goes to sleep.

Any settings I can check?

If you run
code:
powercfg -lastwake
in a command prompt it will tell you what last woke the computer up. It might help track the problem down.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

hooah posted:

For some reason Windows 10 suddenly messed up my keyboard mapping somehow. I've always had a US keyboard, but now the double-quotes (shift + apostrophe) types an @ and shift + 2 types double quotes. Also, shift + 3 types £ instead of a number sign. My country/region is set to United States and my language is set to English (United States). What the gently caress happened?

The default shortcut for switching keyboard layouts if you've ended up with more than one enabled is Win + Space, or Left Alt + Shift which can be pretty easy to hit without realising it. There's probably also an 'ENG' button next to the clock in the taskbar, which will show what layout is selected. It'll take you to Language Preferences and let you remove the one you don't want.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

You can try
code:
powercfg /requests
to see if that sheds any light.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

When I hit winkey+ start typing for search, is there a way to make that so that its only looking within my own computer and not online? idgaf if it has internet access or whatever, but I literally only want/use that function to find files that are tucked away in folders somewhere because lol if i remember where xyz.ini is, etc.

replacing that functionality with a similar one via a download or whatever is also 100% acceptable, i remember using some sort of search indexer back in w7 days for faster searches etc. dont remember the name or if any of that stuff is relevant anymore.

E: i did mess with the indexing options and stuff and added the entire drive as searchable etc and i still dont consider this a usable feature of this operating system

I use and love Everything for this. Doesn't search contents, but is fantastic if you know even a bit of the filename.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Is it still possible to go from Windows 8.1 to 10 for free?

I have a friend who is currently on Windows 8.1 on a HDD. We want to end up with Windows 10 on a new SSD. It's an HP desktop that I believe came with 8.1 originally. They're trying to avoid having to install windows from scratch, but I don't know if a direct upgrade is still possible, and it's probably a good time to start fresh anyway.

Would a new install of Windows 10 on a blank SSD activate using the 8.1 key stored in the BIOS?

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

Is there a way i can assign the various audio devices I use on my PC a hotkey or something? IE, switching audio output defaults to Gaming Headset 1 would be CTRL-2, then my speakers CTRL 3, etc

its cool if it requires a download as long as it isnt sketchy or whatevs. I tried to see if i could use display fusion for this but if I can do what I need that way, it seems to be buried. (display fusion allows you to go to the next or previous setting, but id like to bind specifics)

You could also rig something up with NirSoft's SoundVolumeView by creating some shortcuts. Probably a bit more fiddly though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

disaster pastor posted:

Is there an easy way, like a Windows command or a small piece of software, to find out what is making my monitors (not computer) wake up? Because they do, immediately, within a second of going to sleep. If not, I'll probably make a post in Tech Support, but this has been driving me insane for literal years and I'm out of ideas.

With Command Prompt/Powershell running as Administrator:
code:
powercfg /lastwake
If you're lucky, it will tell you. I just tried it now though and it basically just gave me :shrug:

You can also look in the Windows > System event log for Power-Troubleshooter events.