Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
As a gamer and programmer, is Windows 10 worth the (free) upgrade? I've been using Windows 7 Pro 64bit ever since it came out, I'm getting a brand new computer system soon, and I intend to just keep using the same OS since I don't see a reason to upgrade. As a power user, the previews I've seen of the 10 start screen thing don't look very user friendly.

Edit: VVVVVV Thanks. Think I'll stick with 7 until the end of this year at least.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Alright, I got my new computer and installed Windows 8.1. It's asking me to download a few hundred MB of updates, which one do I NOT want so I don't get background windows 10 downloads or nagged to upgrade. I've been hearing some horror stories, and I don't want to 'accidentally' upgrade to 10 for another few months.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Should just need to uncheck KB3035583: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583

Make sure to click "Hide" so it doesn't keep bugging you about it.

Thanks. Doesn't look like that's the only one; I'm going through the list of updates it wants to install and clicking more info for every single one, and KB3044374 says "Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10". Better hide that one too.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Femtosecond posted:

What's the deal with the draggable part of the windows? They've made the top part of the window a uniform white, which is fine, except that only some ambiguous topmost part is draggable, whereas clicking slightly lower does nothing. How on earth am I supposed to know if I'm clicking in the right area to move a window? Does MSFT not employ any UX designers because this is obviously terrible.

Am I missing some obvious option to highlight and colour the part of the window I can act on and drag?

I'm using 8.1, not 10, but you should be able to move windows around in 10 by dragging the title bar, unless they changed and / or hosed something up really badly. It sounds like you're occasionally trying to drag the menu bar around. Could you post a screenshot of the window in question?

Also, you might try searching Control Panel for 'Color', and clicking on 'Change the color of your taskbar and window borders' under Personalization, and change it to something else so it's easier to see.

For example, the title bar in the image below is the green segment on top of the window.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 5, 2015

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

ilkhan posted:

The title bar is annoying

The lack if any window padding is infuriating.

What, they removed the line between the title and menu bars in 10? Just another reason why I'm not upgrading.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I finally upgraded from Windows 8.1 pro to 10 pro yesterday. It was entirely painless and completely free (astonishingly), and I actually like some of the new features. I did install StartIsBack, though, since I hate the 10 start menu.

That said, there's an interesting change in my multi monitor behavior, for the better.

With 8.1, when I turned on my second monitor, my main monitor would blink out and then back. With 10, it stays visible. Anyone know why this is? Or is it related to something else somehow?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Falcon2001 posted:

I don't think I've actually like browsed my start menu in a decade.

I don't browse it either, but what I do make extensive use of is the 'pin to start menu' option, and StartIsBack lets me have a nice list of pins with another nice list of frequently accessed below that.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Pablo Bluth posted:

I don't move the taskbar but I always have to turn on 'use small icons' (and 'never combine'). Reclaim that screen-space.

What's your desktop resolution? Using 2560x1440 and I leave small icons disabled or I can barely see what's what. I also have about 20 things pinned.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

barnold posted:

I use desktop icons AND quick launch shortcuts :smugdog:

pins are okay I guess but clicking a pin while the program is open doesn't open a second instance and pins in Win10 take more taskbar real estate than a quick launch shortcut. since I am single monitor gang I'm minmaxing my pixels

R-click, click the program name again. It is a bit awkward and does require a bit of finesse... wonder if some

literally just discovered that in Win10, shift-clicking a taskbar pin of an active program opens another instance of that program. holy gently caress

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
How do I make the Win10 task manager actually instantly kill tasks and not just sometimes do nothing for seeming ages? I just tried to end an 'app' and despite 3 repeated clicks, the process was still going for some reason. Launched Process Explorer and it killed the thing instantly.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

bobua posted:

Make sure you're drilling all the way down to the actual process. They've done some merging of apps\processes. You need to expand the tree and right click the actual process. Also, make sure the run as administrator or however they word it in the bottom isn't available. My pc doesn't do it, but i know some settings or versions will run task manager with limited privilege's until you escalate.

It was the only running instance of a game. If r-clicking the 'tree' top and clicking end task doesn't end that task, then something is seriously hosed up with the Win10 task manager.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I think that Windows 7 is still the gold standard for OS usability and they never should've changed what Just Worked.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
When I choose to auto-hide the taskbar, is there a way to hide it completely, so the line at the bottom also disappears?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Not sure if this is the right thread, but:

Is there an easy way to open 4 VLC player windows and have them be in a specific arrangement without needing to manually position them every time?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Falcon2001 posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/comments/jpduqk/in_windows_10_this_is_how_you_can_launch_and/ This looks to be doing essentially the same thing, but with WoW instead of VLC. Uses a program called cmdow.

Finally got around to testing that and it worked great. I now understand why programmers write scripts to automate simple repetitive tasks.

My antivirus HATED the program for some reason; wouldn't let me download it nor extract the zip until I paused it for the process.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
^^^ Yeah, best not to mess with Windows features and stuff unless you really know what you're doing. A decade ago, I bricked at least two windows installs because I thought I knew what I was doing but it turns out what I disabled was actually important.

What's the best way to purge an entry from the Windows 10 Apps and features list if it says something's installed but the uninstaller fails due to it .. not being installed?

e. got at least 5 entries like this

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 30, 2021

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

astral posted:

Any better luck with appwiz.cpl?

Nope.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Something like Revo can clear those dud entries up, or you can fossick through the registry for it yourself

Thanks, Revo uninstaller cleared them out great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Klyith posted:

Update 21H1 is officially released, phased rollout begins now. Gentlemen, pause your updates!

(Actually I don't expect this one to cause major problems -- it's a glorified patch tuesday with almost zero new features. The biggest structural change is that the installer / base package now uses chredge rather than old edge. I'd wait a week or two out of caution, but IMO putting this one of delay for months is not gonna be needed.)

vvv edit: oh, I guess it's just that legacy edge is completely removed now? I dunno the specifics of that very much as I don't use edge at all.

I already installed it, and have noticed no changes at all.