Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

GreenNight posted:

Someone said it was a bug in Teamviewer, so if you have that, uninstall and see if that helps.

For anyone else having TeamViewer waking up their computer, this has been resolved in version 10.0.45862 (released Aug 7 2015).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

This is what I get when I try to repair the Store when I've rolled back from 10525. Store doesn't open

Very odd, the Store is now working again randomly, even though those command above didn't work.

As you were.

I don't know where you copy-pasted these "commands" from, but they don't look right to me.

On second glance, I think you could try to run these commands from a regular elevated command prompt instead of from a PowerShell session.

edit: Hmm, looks like C:\Windows\WinStore only exists in Win8.1 and not in Win10. Nevermind.

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 19, 2015

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Is 7 activated on your laptop right now? If so, you can upgrade to 10 and be activated. With the (newly re-released) November update ISO , you can do a clean install using the same product key from your laptop and get an activated 10 installation.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I have an old Lenovo T420s that was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and then to version 1511. I pulled out the hard drive, stuck in a new SSD, booted to a Windows 10 version 1511 USB created from the Media Creation Tool, and did a Custom installation. When prompted for a key, I just hit "I don't have a key". After everything installed (about 15 minutes later), my installation was activated with digital entitlement, as should be expected. I was honestly a bit surprised that it worked flawlessly.

Just wanted to add another datapoint of successful installation and activation to the thread.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Halo14 posted:

Did that machine have the Windows 8 BIOS embedded key?

Nope. This T420s pre-dates the release of Windows 8. In fact, the BIOS predates embedded keys, too. No UEFI or SecureBoot for me :(

edit:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I got my Black Friday SSD in the mail. To do the upgrade, I should do it 7-10 on my current drive, then make a USB install drive and do a fresh install from the USB. Correct? Is there anything else I need to do, aside from BIOS, chipset drivers, and getting the most recent version of Samsung's SSD management software?

Yup. Upgrade your current OS install to 10, make sure it's activated, then shut down and swap out the drives. Boot from USB and do a Custom (clean) install. When prompted for the product key, click "I don't have a product key". It should install and activate no problem.

"should"

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 3, 2015

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Based on my hardware upgrade experience, here's what I'd do:

0. Use the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB installer for Windows 10.
1. Do the Windows 10 upgrade on your current hardware configuration. Hopefully, your clicking hard drive won't conk out in the meantime.
2. Boot into the new OS and confirm it is activated.
3. Shut down the computer and remove the hard drive, replacing it with just the SSD.
4. Boot to the USB you created in step 0 and do a Custom Install (this will be a clean install).
5. After installation and initial setup is done, confirm Windows is activated.
6. Do the rest of the hardware upgrade.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Oh yeah. I forgot about that. If you have a key, much better to just do a clean install right away.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Posting here a solution to a problem I'd taken days of googling and event viewing to solve. I had a clean install of Win10Pro x64 on a Lenovo T420s (no idea if hardware is relevant, but hey), and it would sleep after 2 minutes of inactivity, even though I had set the power options to never sleep. The problem was that there is a hidden advanced power setting I had to unhide and change from 2 minutes to a proper value.

The best part of this story is that this problem did not happen on the exact same laptop on Win10Pro x64. The difference then was that it was on a spindle hard drive that had been upgraded from Windows 7. The problem only started after I put in a new-in-box SSD and clean-installed the OS. Yay compooters :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

ApexAftermath posted:

I just recently upgraded my install of windows 8.1 to 10. Everything is great, but I'm running into the same issue over and over. It's more annoyance than anything. The start menu stops responding. I can right click it and get the task list to come up, but clicking the button does not pull anything up. Restarting Windows Explorer fixes it for a bit, running the SFC/DISM repair tools fixes it for longer, but it just keeps coming back.

Any suggestions or is this just a quirk I'm gonna have to put up with? I really don't want to wipe and reinstall the system yet.

I had this same issue, except restarting explorer.exe didn't fix it, SFC found nothing wrong, and DISM didn't work at all. Only logging out and logging back in fixed it for a short time.

To permanently* fix this, I had to create a new local account and copy my files over to it. Note that I originally had a local account and logged into specific apps with my MS account instead of using the MS account as my Windows login.

*Hopefully, anyway. It's been about a month since I created a new local account, and it's been good so far.