Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
This is kind of weird question, but does anyone know what happened to typing into windows start to use the search function? I'm way too used to hitting the windows key and typing in "Snipping Tool" "Firewall" "Updates" to quickly get around some programs and today it's just completely gone. I hit windows key and type and nothing happens. I see now there's buttons on the top left to switch from pinned apps to "All Apps" but the ability to use the search is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Huh, rebooting fixed it. I'll never understand what causes this stuff.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Delivery Optimization process is strictly just the one option of the same name under update advance settings, right? Where it downloads updates from other sources but also uploads updates to other people. I have it running sucking in my bandwidth but I go to check the options and it's turned off, it's never been turned on but here it is taking up bandwidth.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Dumb question: Does the Windows 10 Installer get updated over time to include major patches? I still have a stick with the installer on it that's over a year old and wondering if it would save me time just to download the whole thing over again instead of installing and updating afterwards.

Also, it's about goddamn time I reinstall windows. I just hope this stops my PC from crashing finally so I can actually game on it.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

nielsm posted:

Yes.

Have you considered first trying the Reset function in Settings? (Settings > Update & security > Recovery)

Well how bout that. This is something new. How much does it "reset" because I'm basically looking to pretty much redo every driver and update.

fishmech posted:

The installer exe itself barely gets changed. The files it will download do change roughly every 6 months to match the big updates that come every 6 months, so that you only need to download the updates since then.

So if you have a USB stick you set up with the tool to have Windows 10 installer on it, then yes you should update that USB stick. If you just have the little downloader stub, you don't need to update it, it'll detect the latest ISO/image and pull it down itself.

Thank you. If Reset Function doesn't work I'll do that next.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

nielsm posted:

Yes.

Have you considered first trying the Reset function in Settings? (Settings > Update & security > Recovery)

I want to thank you again. I used the Reset function to do as clean of a reset as I could. Went pretty smoothly.

Only now I need to refind all these settings I've turned on or off over the past 2 years.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm confused why Service Host: Delivery Optimization process is running and sucking up bandwidth. I have "Updates from more than one place" turned off. Windows updates says my computer is up to date, last checked today (during my active hours you pos) and I'm still during my active hours so shouldn't it not be doing any of this?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I need to double check something to make sure I'm not going crazy.

Does Microsoft still tie your windows 10 product key to your microsoft/live account? I did the 8.1 Pro -> 10 Pro free upgrade years ago and could have sworn last year when I did a reset it activated windows as soon as I signed back in.

Reason being, at some point tonight my Windows 10 pro activation turned into a Windows 10 home and I cannot find out why. (Nor can I find my original windows 8 pro key)

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's not just you, looks like a widespread issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows10/comments/9v6ibm

A lot of people are having their Pro deactivate randomly and seemingly losing digital entitlement too

Hearing that it's a widespread issue is the best thing I could have been told, seriously. Thank you very much. Hopefully it's fixed soon. Been through hell and back and all I have to show for it is

:shepface:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

owls or something posted:

Is it possible to hide the watermark for now? I don't want to see it while playing games tonight.

I think rebooting will make the watermark go away for a little bit. Did that for me the first time, at least.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Snuffman posted:

Fixed now for me at least. I ran the troubleshooter and my copy is activated again.

Yay.

Thank you for saying something!

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Weird, no activation issues on my end. Windows 10 Pro OEM. Not using an online account, only a local user account.

I think it may have been limited to "entitlements" from those of us who took the free upgrade.

I was not ready to try to explain over the phone my email receipt of buying windows 8 pro years ago, and a "Welcome to Windows 10" email when I upgraded.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
It's still funny to me that windows update tried to download and install realtek audio driver version that didn't exist for my mobo. Or at least one that ASUS wasn't putting on their website anymore.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

mobby_6kl posted:

Gonna spin the russian roulette and request the update. I only use the machine for VR stuff so what's the worst it could do.

This is the plot to some alternative Tron movie.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I hate windows so loving much. What else do I need to do to stop it from automatically installing drivers? It seems to be realtek loving audio causing all of my problems.

I thought I had disabled windows automatically updating drivers. I uninstalled realtek drivers Version 6.0.1.8158. Rebooted and noticed that I now have these drivers again. That successfully installed on 10/27 one was windows trying to overwrite my .8158 with a year older driver that doesn't even appear on the website for my motherboard.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Windows 10 Home or Pro?

10 Pro version 1803

dont be mean to me posted:

Wait, first, what are your "all of my problems"?

Hard computer freezes, frozen picture blasting garbled noise until I hold the power button. Doesn't leave any dump logs, doesn't leave events other than ID 41 "This pc wasn't shut down properlly last time". Usually while playing somewhat modern games, but it's happened on occasion while just browsing or having youtube playing.

I've been trying everything to find the problem, let alone fix it. Audio was my next step, since I wasn't have heat or power or any hardware issues I could find. I could stress test my GPU or my CPU or my RAM and none of them would cause a crash by themselves. I've gotten brand new Hard Drives and a new PSU because my old one gave up the ghost while I was looking for solutions. I've even gone through windows reset to try and get as clean of a slate as possible. For whatever reason I didn't have to deal with it for a couple months but it's come back and won't go away again.

I'm just trying to deliberately only have the audio drivers I want on the system. Since I wanted to see if my computer would still crash using just Nvidias hdmi audio and another time with just realtek audio.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Sounds like it could be memory or power supply.

Have you stress-tested CPU AND GPU at the same time?

How old is your power supply and how much of that time has your computer been up?

Have you used Windows Memory Diagnostic or memtest86+ yet?

My last PSU died during the initial struggle trying to fix the crashing. Bought a new one on recommendation for my parts. It's also running off a battery backup so no power outtages can cause damage or make my PC shut down on its own. Not sure about "how much of that time has your computer been up?" means. If it's about computer uptime before crashes I've had it crashed after being on for a full day beforehand, and I've had it crash an hour or a couple after preemptively rebooting or rebooting from a crash.

I've ran the full set of memtest86+ tests and found nothing. I ran Windows Memory Diag and it didn't seem to find anything, but when it told me it would show me results after booting back into windows it never did.

It seems like once in awhile I'll do something that makes the crashing go away for awhile. Whether it's a specifically new windows or driver update or changing something up about my settings or system but it does eventually come back. The last time I had it go away was when I switched back to using realtek audio and a single monitor and the crashing came back 2 months down the line without changing a single bit of my setup or software.

And because a reinstall of windows didn't permanently fix it, it's not likely that there's a broken driver so much as there's conflict somewhere that I can't find.

fishmech posted:

So disconnect your computer from the internet?

Crashes are really inconsistent, I can't reproduce it at will beyond running a game long enough. So that's basically throwing a wrench into the plan anytime I need to go online to do something that my phone can't do.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

I was actually referring to how many hours you'd put on the power supply in its life, but if it's been replaced odds are pretty good that's not it unless the new one has a lot less power output.

Do you have a drive controller driver installed? You actually might not want this.

Also I had a Crucial M4 (the ones with the bad firmware) fail like this.

I'm unfamiliar so probably not.

Im_Special posted:

Go here, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

Create under WindowsUpdate key, a new DWORD (32-bit) Value. ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate, double-click and set its value data to 1.

https://www.howtogeek.com/302595/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-updating-hardware-drivers/

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Modify this Group Policy setting:

Win+R, gpedit.msc
Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update

Keep in mind, this will stop ALL driver updates coming in via Windows Update.

Or modify the registry setting like the previous poster mentioned.

Thank you everyone for the advice on stopping the updates. Stopping all driver updates is already for now since it's temporary. I was hoping a program like O&O Shutup10 would make it easier to disable a lot of the update features (back when I had such slow internet that anytime windows did anything update related everyone was unable to load a drat thing).

Man, I've whined a lot to myself over windows doing something automatically in the background that completely screws up what you're trying to do AND gives you no indication on when it will even be done.

qe: It was already done. Could windows reinstall drivers automatically if it's already on the system? If it had downloaded the installers already and just rerunning them.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 15, 2018

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Oh there's 1809, I'm scared.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Did windows version 1803 have some major problems with GTX 970s that I wasn't aware of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I just dunno yet. I haven't had any crashing since I upped to the new build. But I may have just cursed myself.