Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I have my Mac connected to my PC and on Win7 accessing the Mac's files was a breeze but on Win10 when I try to access the Mac Windows says it can't connect, giving the old "the name might be wrong" and "check your connection" excuses for about a couple of minutes and then it suddenly works just fine. It's not a huge problem but having to wait a few minutes until I can access files on my Mac is kind of a drag. Is this a common thing? I connected the two by allowing the PC to access the Mac's files on the Mac and just typing the name of the Mac on the resource management address bar and entering username/password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Why doesn't Windows have the option to manually restart after an update? Giving it a set time to update restart is all well and fine but why is it limited to that? I have a Win 10 computer doing things that take hours and hours and frequently they get screwed over because of an update and Windows decides to reboot afterwards. How do you turn this off?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The computer in question is doing video stuff pretty much 24/7 so setting up a schedule around the six-hour window you're allowed doesn't work. And Windows always sneaks the updates in there and the restart is always super abrupt with only the tiny notification thing in the corner to signal it. I'd be fine if it threw up a tiny window pestering me about restarting every 30 minutes or something, not booting up on its own and corrupting files in the process.

E: Maybe I'll just take it offline while it works or something.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

What I mean by that is that there's no way to disable it entirely, Windows just gives you a time period when you're not active on the computer but the computer is active all the time so that option doesn't work. More time would be even worse since that would make it even harder to narrow down when it might reboot, but the smallest amount isn't small enough for that either.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It is running Pro. :v: Also thanks for those methods, gonna give them a shot!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'll update it between jobs, that's not a problem. A notification to remind me to restart for new updates would be ideal but I don't mind having to do the whole thing manually if it means I don't waste hours on a task because Windows wrecked it by rebooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sweet, better incredibly late than never.