Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
My desktop abruptly shut down and upgraded to Windows 10 despite me declining to schedule it previously, and now I'm having activation issues. I was running Windows 7 Pro with a key I got from an MSDNAA program at my college several years ago. Windows 10 Pro refuses to activate with it saying it's the wrong edition, error code 0xc004f210.

A 3rd-party utility identifies my key as being "Windows 7 All Volume Editions Volume:MAK". Info on the Microsoft website suggests this is an Enterprise edition and I need to go to the Volume Licensing Service Center for help. Attempting that goes nowhere because it wants a business email which I presume is really for whoever at my old school was managing their volume licensing with Microsoft.

So, what the gently caress? Am I completely SOL without paying out of pocket for my own retail key now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Quite certain, I remember getting both the image and key from the website. It was December 2010, so I have no idea how things may have changed since. Anything else I can realistically do before just contacting Microsoft to see if they're willing to help?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Just to close the loop for posterity, I got in touch with Microsoft support. They identified my MSDNAA key as being for Windows 7 Enterprise and generated me a retail Windows 10 Pro key to use instead. Hooray!