Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
When using Windows 10's Backup function, how do I determine the state/progress of a given backup? Every time I try opening the More Options menu within Backup, it opens for a moment and then immediately closes. My external drive where I told it to backup is clicking along so I know it's writing stuff, but I have no apparent way of viewing how much progress it's making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Dumb question, but what's the proper way to do a backup of my computer in Windows 10? I have an external hard drive for saving old files and the like, on my old Windows 7 machine I could just connect my external drive when I felt like doing a backup and run Backup & Restore in the Setting menu. Now in Windows 10 it wants to just automate the process, but I don't usually have my backup drive plugged in which throws the whole thing off. There is a button in one of the Backup options menus to run a backup whenever, but half the time it doesn't recognize my drive and only runs for a few moments. Eventually I will disconnect and reconnect the drive (both physically and in the OS) that Backup Now will work, but in the future what should I be doing when I want to back up my computer such that it works the first time?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The hard drive in my wife's desktop is about to crap out, but the rest of her desktop still works fine so I'm thinking of just buying her an SSD and doing a fresh install of Windows. Only problem is that I've never done a fresh install of Windows onto anything before. Two questions to start off:

1. The Windows webstore has options to either download a product code or buy a USB to install Windows from. If I download a product code, how am I going to get it onto the new hard drive to download Windows without the drive/computer being connected to the internet?

2. Which version(s) of Windows come with Office pre-installed?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Last Chance posted:

Has this ever been a thing? honestly curious not trying to be snarky

I'm honestly not sure, I've never had to purchase it. Last time I had to instal it was from a free product code I got from my university.

E:

Klyith posted:

You can re-use the key for Windows 7 or 8 that came with the computer, and thus don't have to buy anything.

1. get a 8gb or larger USB flash drive (which has nothing you care about on in, because this process will wipe it)
2. download this program from microsoft
3. the program will download windows 10 and make the usb stick into an installer
4. install windows 10 onto the new SSD that you put in. it helps to unplug the other drives during this process, otherwise the installer may be difficult due to another drive being the designated boot drive.

Would this product key be the 25-character code (five sets of five characters separated by dashes) on this sticker on the back of her old machine?

ALso, I want the Installation Media download, right?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 9, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Klyith posted:

Yes and yes, "Create installation media for another PC"

And I don't need a purchase a Windows 10 product code right? I thought free upgrades of Windows 7 & 8 to 10 had been discontinued.

What's the best way to tell if her machine is 32- or 64-bit? I'm not sure how to tell without Windows running and her old HDD is for sure dead at this point.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Klyith posted:

MS has often claimed that they're done with free updates, but they haven't turned it off. You get a 100% real license and activation.

Unless the PC is ancient it's almost certainly 64bit. The last desktop intel processors without 64bit support were more than a decade ago. If you have a model we could confirm it for you, but if this is an actual desktop and not something like an all-in-one or microbox it will be 64bit. And if it's less than 5 years old it's 64bit no matter what form factor.

It's an AIO manufactured in 2011, Lenovo Ideacentre B520. I bought it for her and I feel like I would have gotten her a 64-bit system but it was so long ago I don't know for certain.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Shout-out to everyone who pointed out that I could re-use the Win7 key from my wife's desktop to re-install it on her new SSD and get a free upgrade to 10 :hellyeah: If the Office 2013 key that I used on my laptop can be re-used on her desktop then I'll be golden (sorry if it's :files: to suggest that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

dont be mean to me posted:

Office 2013/16/19/365 keys are active keys for the most part. You could end up taking the license away from her computer. You want to roll the dice, that's up to you. On the other hand, I know I still have an institution-account Office 365 5-seat license from my community college from yonks ago going strong.

Windows 10 cares less about upgrade licenses because they're device-specific and once the hardware configuration is licensed via the old Hit the Internet With Windows 10 After Upgrading From an Activated Old Windows With Windows 10 Install Media trick Microsoft's licensing servers don't give a poo poo what 7/8/.1 key it came from. (Note that this is also likely :filez: :ssh: if you're reusing a license key on multiple systems but the BSA/Marshals/Mounties/etc probably don't care unless you're doing business stuff with it.)

Nah the Windows 7 key that I first installed on the new SSD was from her old now-dead HDD, so I don't feel bad about re-using it.