Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I've had Win10 working fine since the preview version over the summer. No problems whatsoever.

Recently reinstalled clean after upgrading my hard drive, and it's running like garbage. The Start menu keeps just...giving up. I press the Windows key and nothing happens. Clicking the Start button does nothing. No response. I open the task manager, and it's not exactly frozen per se, but it just doesn't update any of the data. I then can't close the task manager either.

Also the new Photos app keeps crashing with "the remote procedure call failed", every time I attempt to open a photo, and when I go to restart, the system hangs with a "GDI+ window" locking everything up.

What the hell is going on? Why is this so much worse all of a sudden? I had no problems before, but reinstall the OS 3 days ago and it's hell.

e: oh and YouTube videos won't play either. They load, the picture shows up, the play/pause icon turns into a pause...and nothing happens and the playhead doesn't move. This persists across Chrome restarts. It's driving me insane.

Hardware problem maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

fishmech posted:

Why were you running notepad++ in elevated mode to begin with?

So he can edit %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts of course.